British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2020-21 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2020-21-football-thread-934438/)

SpoogleDrummer Apr 19th 2021 2:03 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12996894)
Very disappointed that Citeh eventually folded and joined the other 5 - if this atrocity happens I suppose you have to be on the steam roller or get flattened by it!!!!

I can’t decide if City have more or less reasons to join. They clearly don’t need the money but they do despise UEFA so not taking part in UEFA competitions makes sense.

Even if this doesn’t happen we need these owners gone, FSG have given us a champions league and Premier League but if this is the cost they can have them back, I’d rather support Everton than support a super league.

DaveLovesDee Apr 19th 2021 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12996948)
I imagine a lot of players will leave the big 6 if it means they can’t play in any other tournaments so the clubs lower down will get stronger and without the 12 or 15 clubs competing in Europe Leicester etc may not do too badly. I image PSG and Bayern will dominate for a while though.

Agreed. But at least there'll be no FFP issues, so certain clubs will see that as a bonus... :p

kimilseung Apr 19th 2021 2:08 pm

Packer lasted two years before it folded. Its all too long ago for me to really remember, but I wonder if cricket has anything to teach us here.

yellowroom Apr 19th 2021 3:50 pm

If they want to create a closed Franchise FC league for corporate, sanitised, televised matches, then they can create their own code for the "business sport" and clear off out of the game of football.

There is definitely a gap between the kind of football that these greedy businessmen are selling, and the kind of football that is followed world over by real fans where you support your team, usually local or strong family collections - you meet your mates, you have a pint or two, you sing/chant, then celebrate or moan depending on the result. You also support the club by buying a shirt/pint/pie/bovril/programme/raffle ticket/scarf. Up and down the leagues, it's a universal experience and a world away from the E$L.

SpoogleDrummer Apr 19th 2021 4:12 pm

It's looking like PSG might just get handed the Champion's League this year as the other 3 teams in it might get kicked out.

yellowroom Apr 19th 2021 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12997005)
It's looking like PSG might just get handed the Champion's League this year as the other 3 teams in it might get kicked out.

Do you really think so? I think it's posturing and IF the ESL goes ahead there will be some weak deal that allows the teams concerned to carry on as planned because money talks and if JP Morgan really have put up $6bn as rumoured, that's a hell of a lot of talking.

kimilseung Apr 19th 2021 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12997044)
Do you really think so? I think it's posturing and IF the ESL goes ahead there will be some weak deal that allows the teams concerned to carry on as planned because money talks and if JP Morgan really have put up $6bn as rumoured, that's a hell of a lot of talking.

But it will have to do some talking to UEFA, to get a compromise.

Scamp Apr 19th 2021 7:03 pm

I’m convinced it’s happening.
they don’t give a monkeys, they know damn well they’ll get huge money deals from streaming platforms and regional distributors around the world.
I am too young but isn’t this just like what Sky did?

kimilseung Apr 19th 2021 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12997062)
they don’t give a monkeys, they know damn well they’ll get huge money deals from streaming platforms and regional distributors around the world.

sky just paid money for what already was.
This is a none sanctioned, closed shop alternative to what is.

yellowroom Apr 19th 2021 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12997062)

the difference being that eventually the PL effectively replaced the old First Division, with promotion and relegation to the EFL agreed. Without the rewards of European football to be earned, and jeopardy of relegation, what are the clubs playing for? It’s going to turn into a set of exhibition matches. How many fans are going to be able to afford away matches? Will they care?

kimilseung Apr 19th 2021 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12997078)
eventually the PL effectively replaced the old First Division, with promotion and relegation to the EFL agreed.

Originally was there no plan for relegation/promotion?

Boiler Apr 19th 2021 8:18 pm

the difference being that eventually the PL effectively replaced the old First Division, with promotion and relegation to the EFL agreed. Without the rewards of European football to be earned, and jeopardy of relegation, what are the clubs playing for? It’s going to turn into a set of exhibition matches. How many fans are going to be able to afford away matches? Will they care?

They do not need away supporters, presumably they expect to sell all the home tickets anyway. If they lose regular supporters I assume they expect that they can fill the gaps with tourists.

Anyway the big money is TV rights and they are not your historic supporters in the main and selling those rights worldwide.

DaveLovesDee Apr 19th 2021 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12996956)
Packer lasted two years before it folded. Its all too long ago for me to really remember, but I wonder if cricket has anything to teach us here.

The rugby Pro12 / Pro14 league has been going 10 years.....

There'll be fans buying tickets....

Just think, 50,000+ home fans at the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, Anfield, Old Trafford and the Etihad would certainly pay to watch category A games every couple of weeks, and there are hundreds of Spaniards and Italians living in the UK who'd be very happy to pick up tickets for their teams in the away ends..... And it works the other way too, there are plenty of Brits who'd watch a UK team playing against Barca or Madrid even if they didn't support them.

And there'd be pleanty of other fans who can't get home tickets, or who don't support either team, who'd also try for away stand tickets...

kimilseung Apr 19th 2021 8:23 pm

I'd put my money on Liverpool moving to Boston in 10 years.

yellowroom Apr 19th 2021 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12997080)
Originally was there no plan for relegation/promotion?

my memory may not be reliable, but my perception was that it was not a given and there were some hefty talks between the PL and EFL before it was agreed.