British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2020-21 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2020-21-football-thread-934438/)

BristolUK Aug 20th 2020 11:19 am

The 2020-21 Football Thread

Yay, the fixtures for the new season are out. It's been so long without any footie - welcome back, Premier League! ;)

Premier League fixtures 2020-21: Liverpool begin title defence against Leeds

Premier League 2020-21 opening fixtures
Crystal Palace v Southampton, Fulham v Arsenal, Liverpool v Leeds United, Tottenham v Everton, West Bromwich Albion v Leicester, West Ham v Newcastle, Brighton v Chelsea, Sheffield United v Wolves.

The solitary concession to fatigue is the guarantee of a 30-day break between last season and next, meaning Manchester City and Manchester United will start a week later than their rivals after their participation in the Uefa finals competition. They will visit Wolves and host Crystal Palace respectively, on 19 September.
I see Burnley and Villa aren't playing the opening weekend. Presumably because they would have been playing Manchesters City and United. Why the hell can't they play each other and get the match out of the way? The season is already crammed.

Former Lancastrian Aug 20th 2020 9:13 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Well seeing some non existent club only finished their season less than a week ago I think we deserve a rest. Some might think because the players are knackered or fans are sick of shite performances from them. Will get better if and when fans are allowed and stop with the piped in crowd noise. There again who wants Leeds fans coming to their city/town?????

BristolUK Aug 21st 2020 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12899681)
Well seeing some non existent club only finished their season less than a week ago I think we deserve a rest.

Just to clarify, you know I was talking about Burnley and Villa playing each other?

hardlyintense Aug 21st 2020 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12899681)
Well seeing some non existent club only finished their season less than a week ago I think we deserve a rest. Some might think because the players are knackered or fans asick of shite performances from them. Will get better if and where allowed and stop with the piped in crowd noiseren fans a . There again who wants Leeds fans coming to their city/town?????

It is not very long since all the shops on the roads approaching the London teams grounds all had their shop fronts boarded up on the Friday before Manchester Urinals played there the next day,then the hoardings were removed on the next day,.

pommybird Aug 21st 2020 7:21 pm

Any preferences for tonight? My dad was a lifelong Inter fan so I’m hoping they lift the cup.

BristolUK Aug 21st 2020 11:15 pm

It may seem uncharitable to say so but as remarkable as Sevilla's Europa record is, in the period they've had their six wins they've qualified for the Champions League 6 times (geographically avoiding Barca and Real) getting further than the last 16 just once and doing badly enough twice to parachute into the Europa tournament.

It's a little bit like yo-yoing between the premier league and the championship and being praised for the promotions.

el collado kid Aug 22nd 2020 8:07 am

What a great game last night brilliant football,nearly got out of control great stuff ,good football end to end diving arguing managers getting shitty goals.The only thing is so tierd went to bed on 75 mins,still very enjoyable.viva espana

civilservant Aug 24th 2020 11:44 am

Why exactly can United not play on the opening weekend? Because the played a couple of extra games a week later? How much do these players earn again?

Then again, everything past our first team is utter shite, so I guess they better get a break because they'll all be playing a minimum of 46 games this season (that's the 38 PL games, 1 FA Cup, 1 EFL Cup, 6 CL Group Games, in case anyones wondering - and yes, I'm assuming we'll get dumped out of each cup straight away and finish bottom of our CL group)

Sounds like Maguire might be in jail too. So we need 2 CBs now :rofl:

BristolUK Aug 24th 2020 11:06 pm

Has everyone seen Early Man?

Fun football movie in the best traditions.

BristolUK Aug 26th 2020 11:44 am

Asked whether Maguire and his co-defendants would have known the officers were police, Paradissis said: “Of course, because that’s the first thing they said. The police officers were there for other duties and they heard a brawl.

“So they heard some people fighting and went there to break up a fight. They said: ‘We’re police, stop fighting’. They were not in uniform but they showed their professional IDs.”
:rofl:
No idea whether guilty or not but, frankly, that sounds like bollocks. People are fighting, getting your ID out to show them doesn't sound a likely first response and even if they did, that's going to stop them fighting? Give over.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...fficers-lawyer

civilservant Aug 26th 2020 11:47 am

Can't believe no one has mentioned that Messi wants out at Barca. Or is it just a ploy for a new contract? Who would want to pay a 33 year old Half a Mill a week? Can he do it on a wet Wednesday night in Burnley?

I have a feeling we might be about to find out.

BristolUK Aug 26th 2020 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12901832)
Can't believe no one has mentioned that Messi wants out at Barca. Or is it just a ploy for a new contract?

More a ploy for a change of president perhaps.

Given he reportedly wanted Barca to re-sign Neymar, maybe PSG is the obvious destination.

el collado kid Aug 26th 2020 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12901828)
:rofl:
No idea whether guilty or not but, frankly, that sounds like bollocks. People are fighting, getting your ID out to show them doesn't sound a likely first response and even if they did, that's going to stop them fighting? Give over.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...fficers-lawyer

Quite agree my old carrot cruncher,Sounds like a total load of bollocks as usual.It's all greek to me

el collado kid Aug 26th 2020 2:24 pm

Is that former lancastrian still going on about city.Get over it my old cock being a lancastrian is bad enough i'd of thought.I do hope you get messie( bugger)and it cost you millions and millions and he is shit,Just joking Haha Hehe.hope he comes to the premier if not with city or utd maybe just maybe he will come to the saints.Come on you saints:angel:.

BristolUK Aug 26th 2020 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12901900)
hope he comes to the premier if not with city or utd maybe just maybe he will come to the saints.Come on you saints:angel:.

As unlikely as that sounds, way back when, Keegan coming back from Germany to play for Southampton was similarly unlikely.

el collado kid Aug 26th 2020 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12901903)
As unlikely as that sounds, way back when, Keegan coming back from Germany to play for Southampton was similarly unlikely.

Exactly my thinking you never know!He just might:angel_smile:

SpoogleDrummer Aug 26th 2020 3:23 pm

He's 33 now, as good as he's been with a team built around him would he really be able to do it at another club that would have to take a year or two to build around him? With no Ballon d'or this year we don't even know if he was in the running for it, pretty certain Ronaldo wasn't so maybe their time has passed. I certainly wouldn't be keen on Liverpool paying a million a week for him to join us.

Former Lancastrian Aug 26th 2020 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12901900)
Is that former lancastrian still going on about city.Get over it my old cock being a lancastrian is bad enough i'd of thought.I do hope you get messie( bugger)and it cost you millions and millions and he is shit,Just joking Haha Hehe.hope he comes to the premier if not with city or utd maybe just maybe he will come to the saints.Come on you saints:angel:.

Scamp wanna try and translate what one of your Saints fan is trying to say? I have more important things to bitch about besides those squatters at the Emptyhad. If Messi was 65 yrs old the Saints couldn't afford his Zimmer frame to help get him around the pitch.

el collado kid Aug 27th 2020 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12902101)
Scamp wanna try and translate what one of your Saints fan is trying to say? I have more important things to bitch about besides those squatters at the Emptyhad. If Messi was 65 yrs old the Saints couldn't afford his Zimmer frame to help get him around the pitch.

:hysterical:

el collado kid Aug 31st 2020 7:59 am

Does someone here do a football fantasy league.How would one join and what would one do,thanks in bated breath.

DaveLovesDee Sep 1st 2020 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12903852)
Does someone here do a football fantasy league.How would one join and what would one do,thanks in bated breath.

Google Fantasy Premier League.

The BE league code is 9udhlp if I remember correctly.

BristolUK Sep 1st 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12904316)

I think there's at least two BE leagues. There's one in the Canada section as well as the one GMike mentioned recently.

Should Messi go to City, I wonder if it's possible to have him in the squad and afford 14 others :lol:

el collado kid Sep 1st 2020 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12904316)

Thanks my old taffy goonie if i remember i'll look tomorrow.

Former Lancastrian Sep 2nd 2020 1:14 pm

How many ****ing midfielders do we need. Is it the plan to keep the ball as long as possible so the other team cant score? According to our official website we currently have 10 midfielders without the ones we are about to sign or maybe sign.
Looking at some of our defensive woes then maybe sign some of them rather than midfielders unless we want to get rid of some of them. We only have 4 strikers as such Martial, Rashford, Ighalo and Greenwood but website shows Chong is included as a striker.

civilservant Sep 2nd 2020 1:20 pm

I must admit that was my initial reaction when I saw the potential Beek signing too. We really do need a decent striker. Callum Wilson is available and would be reasonably cheap, I'd give him a wirl if we rally can't get anyone else. What about Higuain for a season?

As for a CB, well that is going to cost a pretty penny, and other than Koulibaly I don't think I've seen us be linked with another decent quality one. There aren't that many out there that would improve us rather than just add to the numbers.

BristolUK Sep 2nd 2020 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK On June 4th
Clarification of the "temporary" subs rule...it's the overall thing I'm concerned about. What the hell was wrong in sticking with 7 on the bench and using 5 of them? Give it a year or two, subject to things getting back to 'normal' and we'll have more than seven on the bench and/or more than three subs allowed...Thin end of the wedge.

Perhaps I over estimated with the year or two...
Premier League's top clubs make second push for five substitutions

The Premier League is split over the use of five substitutes for the coming season with the big clubs pushing for the rule to be implemented at Thursday’s shareholder meeting and the smaller ones digging in against it. The matter was voted on at the last meeting on 6 August when it was proposed by the league’s board and defeated by 11 votes to nine. If new legislation is to be passed, it requires a two-thirds majority – in other words, 14 votes in favour.
There was also a vote on whether to persist with nine players on the substitutes’ bench rather than seven, with 10 votes in favour and 10 against.

SpoogleDrummer Sep 2nd 2020 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12904853)
How many ****ing midfielders do we need. Is it the plan to keep the ball as long as possible so the other team cant score? According to our official website we currently have 10 midfielders without the ones we are about to sign or maybe sign.
Looking at some of our defensive woes then maybe sign some of them rather than midfielders unless we want to get rid of some of them. We only have 4 strikers as such Martial, Rashford, Ighalo and Greenwood but website shows Chong is included as a striker.

That's how I always felt about our summer signings, always midfielders. To be fair though I was right, as soon as we signed some defenders and a keeper we improved.

Former Lancastrian Sep 2nd 2020 4:55 pm

I know its The SUN but **** me if it turns out to be true. How about buying your own stadium instead of players? Bloody squatters but the reply will be we pay our fair share towards rent.
According to Record Sport, Messi has agreed financial terms on a five-year contract worth a total of €700m (£623m).The incredible deal would make the Argentine the highest-paid individual in the history of the sport.

It equates to £14,200 an hour, £341,000 per day, £2.4m every week and a whopping £10.4m per month.

Messi is set to spend three seasons at the Etihad before joining City Football Group's (CFG) Major League Soccer side New York City FC for two years.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...lona-transfer/

civilservant Sep 2nd 2020 4:58 pm

All well and good, but he has to get out of his Barca contract first, and they ain't budging it seems.

Former Lancastrian Sep 2nd 2020 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12904954)
That's how I always felt about our summer signings, always midfielders. To be fair though I was right, as soon as we signed some defenders and a keeper we improved.

I tend to think most teams would improve if they have a keeper :sneaky: So right got it DeGea or Henderson in goal and 10 midfielders.

Former Lancastrian Sep 2nd 2020 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12904960)
All well and good, but he has to get out of his Barca contract first, and they ain't budging it seems.

With the wages he is on I would quite happily sit on the bench or stay at home unless there is some small print we don't know about.

SpoogleDrummer Sep 2nd 2020 8:28 pm

I heard he wants to win the Ballon d'or 2 or 3 more times and for some obscure reason thinks he could do it at City, it's been 12 years since someone not playing for Real Madrid or Barca won it and frankly I don't think he deserved it last year let alone this year. Ronaldo was no where close since leaving Real so he's kidding himself if he thinks leaving Barca will increase his chances.

Former Lancastrian Sep 2nd 2020 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12905033)
I heard he wants to win the Ballon d'or 2 or 3 more times and for some obscure reason thinks he could do it at City, it's been 12 years since someone not playing for Real Madrid or Barca won it and frankly I don't think he deserved it last year let alone this year. Ronaldo was no where close since leaving Real so he's kidding himself if he thinks leaving Barca will increase his chances.

But Citehs owners have gobs of money wink wink. Imagine going to Stockport on a Saturday morning and seeing the whole town decked out in Messi shirts and waving around there Buy One Get Two Match Day Tickets Free promotion.

SharpshooterTom Sep 3rd 2020 12:31 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12901935)
He's 33 now, as good as he's been with a team built around him would he really be able to do it at another club that would have to take a year or two to build around him? With no Ballon d'or this year we don't even know if he was in the running for it, pretty certain Ronaldo wasn't so maybe their time has passed. I certainly wouldn't be keen on Liverpool paying a million a week for him to join us.

Lewandowski was the red hot favourite with 50+ goals and essentially been robbed of it now Bayern have won the CL.

civilservant Sep 4th 2020 4:21 pm

Oh shock horror surprise - Messi will stay at Barca!

(And probably sign a new contract for a million a week)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-buyout-clause

SpoogleDrummer Sep 4th 2020 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12905739)
Oh shock horror surprise - Messi will stay at Barca!

(And probably sign a new contract for a million a week)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-buyout-clause

Now that's out the way I wonder who City will buy with the money they set aside for this deal?

BristolUK Sep 4th 2020 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12905762)
Now that's out the way I wonder who City will buy with the money they set aside for this deal?

Jesse Lingard is available.

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12905764)
Messi aka Jesse Lingard is available.

So are Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Marcus Rojo, Andreas Pereira, and possibly Victor Lindelöf :sneaky:

DaveLovesDee Sep 4th 2020 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12905783)
So are Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Marcus Rojo, Andreas Pereira, and possibly Victor Lindelöf :sneaky:

All for the bargain price of £5 for the lot.....

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2020 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12905834)
All for the bargain price of £5 for the lot.....

I would have thrown Sanchez in but he is no longer with us. What sort of player says after 1 training session I don't want to be at this club. I hope he chokes on the money we paid for him.