Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Jan 1st 2020, 6:43 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Yeah that was strange. Also it seems a bit odd that they can check for a foul after the whistle has already been blown for offside.

Anyway, OK first half. Not the most exciting game of football, as it took a while for each of the teams to figure out the formations and tactics of the opposing team, but got more interesting as the half went on. Overall, Citeh had the best chances, but we've still had some chances.
yeah and after 3 plus minute wait on 2 x var they add on 2 minutes??????
Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:16 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

how is that only a yellow for DCL????
Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:26 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

3 points to assure another year in the top tier... good effort by the Toffees but the better side won
Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:40 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
3 points to assure another year in the top tier... good effort by the Toffees but the better side won
Agreed. We are playing better than a month ago, and the defence is actually starting to look like a defence again. But the quality of Citeh's players was enough for the win. It was good to see Ancelotti make attacking changes though and keep going for an equalizer, which was always possible with Clownio in goal.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ederson is ill
Another player absent for reasons of illness, as in my point back-thread a bit.

What is going on?

Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:55 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Agreed. We are playing better than a month ago, and the defence is actually starting to look like a defence again. But the quality of Citeh's players was enough for the win. It was good to see Ancelotti make attacking changes though and keep going for an equalizer, which was always possible with Clownio in goal.
yeah you certainly had an attacking intent under Ancelotti and Clownio then let you back in. I think Jesus was a bit too clever for Holgate and I was just about to type a post saying I was wrong about DCL being a thug when he launched into Fern for no reason and should be banned, 2 feet off the ground, no intent to play the ball and a clear intent to injure the player...

Cancelo was good, Garcia impressive for a kid and Rodri and KdB had that edge of class.

Lots of good from both teams methinks
Old Jan 1st 2020, 7:59 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Another player absent for reasons of illness, as in my point back-thread a bit.

What is going on?
a virus going round? Jesus missed Wolves for a similar reason...
Old Jan 1st 2020, 8:05 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

so a mid table clash to finish the afternoon probably be 4 4 at the library
Old Jan 1st 2020, 8:49 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Is Pogba injured again? I thought he was fit to play again.......
Old Jan 1st 2020, 9:04 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Is Pogba injured again? I thought he was fit to play again.......
I think he pulled something carrying the 2 million pounds he has been paid since he last played......
Old Jan 1st 2020, 11:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

a virus going round? Jesus missed Wolves for a similar reason...
It's more of a general thing 'afflicting' individuals rather than groups at clubs. Perhaps Ederson and Jesus was a club thing in the way you used to hear about them. It just seems that this season someone is absent as "ill" every set of fixtures with no obvious pattern.

I just did a quick google trying to limit the search to recent absences. Results: Ederson. Jesus. Pogba. Lennon. Dier. Xhaka. van Dijk. Barkley. Cutrone. Danso. Burn and Dunk but about 3 weeks apart. Smith of Bournemouth.

Apparently Sigurdsson and Sidibe both picked up a bug a couple of weeks ago.

All in the last month.

Maybe what used to be called personal reasons was actually illness.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 11:09 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It's more of a general thing 'afflicting' individuals rather than groups at clubs. Perhaps Ederson and Jesus was a club thing in the way you used to hear about them. It just seems that this season someone is absent as "ill" every set of fixtures with no obvious pattern.

I just did a quick google trying to limit the search to recent absences. Results: Ederson. Jesus. Pogba. Lennon. Dier. Xhaka. van Dijk. Barkley. Cutrone. Danso. Burn and Dunk but about 3 weeks apart. Smith of Bournemouth.

Apparently Sigurdsson and Sidibe both picked up a bug a couple of weeks ago.

All in the last month.

Maybe what used to be called personal reasons was actually illness.
I suspect there is a world of difference between Pogba's "illness" and Ederson being ill and you are possibly conflating issues that are different. However, you raise an interesting point..... how the hell would you tell Dier is ill
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 12:06 am
Oscar nominated

I suspect there is a world of difference between Pogba's "illness" and Ederson being ill and you are possibly conflating issues that are different. However, you raise an interesting point..... how the hell would you tell Dier is ill
Agreed about Pogba. I may even have said that in the earlier comment. If you ignore Ederson and Jesus as being connected and Pogba as being fake, that still leaves Lennon. Dier. Xhaka. van Dijk. Barkley. Cutrone. Danso. Burn and Smith.

That's nine from nine different clubs with no other illness absences reported at those clubs - I'm not including Dunk with Burn as they were three weeks apart.

I suppose it's possible that there really have been bugs at those clubs and that others affected were only fringe players. It just looks a bit weird to me.

I know...let's blame it on VAR
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 5:12 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
I think that's more than harsh on several of our players especially with the performances against the 'top 6' so far this season.... but I'm not biting on the eve of a new year!

As for title contenders (2020-2021 obv).... I agree but who is at this point? There's 2 windows until next season kicks off and opportunities for youngsters to be blooded in the cup comps. As much as Leicester are putting up a plucky fight I can't see them sustaining the fight over into a new season. City are aging and in need new blood but I'm sure Pep will address that and so I expect them to be fighting next season. Spurs.... can't see it under Jose especially with the spendthrift nature of the owner. Arsenal..... I think they're in a much bigger mess than the majority of their fans think and it'll be interesting to see how Arteta gets on and if he's allowed to spend. Chelsea.... they're in a similar position to us in terms of young manager with inconsistent results and with only a few points between us right now I can see a battle over the remainder of this season. If Roman open up his cheque book for Far Frank you never know.
Anyone else realistically likely to be up there next season?
Oh I'm not looking for a bite, I'm just telling you what I think. Revolving managerial doors aren't going to help at all and nor does worrying about other teams who are struggling either.
A solid base with a good manager and let them build. Like Klopp has been allowed to do over a number of years (yes, some started with Brenda pissing money away like it didn't matter).
20/21 is going to be Liverpool again. City will need a few windows to get the right signings in I think.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
How about Hassenhutl.....
Please. No.

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I would agree, but I also don't think that's our goal for now. The fact is that the rot has been there for the 6 years since SAF left, and in fact a good 2 years before that, so we've had the same problems for essentially 8 years. These problems are not going to be fixed in 2 or 3 windows, if might be 4 or 5.

I had (and have) by doubts about OGS, but the counter-attacking football has certainly been more entertaining that the slow and plodding crap that JM played, so I am willing to give him time to get it right. Our form is pretty good right now, and yes it probably will turn bad again, but that is the price of playing younger players.

Lest we forget Fergie had 4 years before he won his first trophy. I know it's a different world, but we are a strong club financially and commercially, and can handle a few more years before we start winning things.
I don't think OGS is the next SAF. I don't know who is, but I don't think it will be him and the programme of rebuilding under someone who hasn't done that or created a top squad at a top club is a gamble for a club like Manchester United, in my opinion.

Get rid of Ewar Woowar and you've got a fighting chance.

well played Saints deserved the 3 points

We might win the league you know. Tottenham were shit, Saint Ings just can't stop scoring, Mourinho's a cheeky little wanker and all hail VAR not bowing down to Dilly Dally's diving. ****ing pleb.

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post

This is not a very happy new year.
You, of all people on earth did not deserve Spurs to be humiliated like that on the same day as Bournemouth being penetrated by a bunch of fat cockney scumbags. I'm sorry for your unhappy new year.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Come on you saints.I have been told 3 or 4 of spurs team have been approached for the olympic diving team.ha.ha.ha Mourinho???ha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.