Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Dec 30th 2019, 5:59 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Arsenal need to start thinking about signing players who can do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke.
I couldn't help thinking that Port Vale are in League Two.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
United missing out on Haaland. I mean, the WORST chief exec in 'big club' history?
For me missing out on him is a good thing. United have been bent over far to many times by that prick of an agent. Them finally standing up, growing a backbone and saying no to their ridiculous demands is progress.

They wanted a buyout, and a sell on fee.... for a youngster who admittedly has being banging em in, but it's hardly a stellar league right now and there no guarantee this would continue.

But yes, Ed is a massively out of his depth. Great in bringing money in, but awful about acquiring talent. We need a DoF.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:47 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
For me missing out on him is a good thing. United have been bent over far to many times by that prick of an agent. Them finally standing up, growing a backbone and saying no to their ridiculous demands is progress.

They wanted a buyout, and a sell on fee.... for a youngster who admittedly has being banging em in, but it's hardly a stellar league right now and there no guarantee this would continue.

But yes, Ed is a massively out of his depth. Great in bringing money in, but awful about acquiring talent. We need a DoF.
Sounds like excuses to me mate

You need to get rid of Lingard, how much do you pay that waste of space? In fact, you, like Arsenal, need almost a complete overhaul and just start fresh. But that means getting the right top quality manager in and letting them build over a couple of years.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Not available til a week Monday.....

They've got an order for OGS out banners to finish first.....

But nah, the Ole out idiots were relatively few and far between as far as I have seen. The majority of fans know that we've had far too many managers since SAF left and we need to give Ole some time (and a few windows) to see what he can do.

And to be fair its mainly consistency at the moment. That and the need for some creativity to allow the more defensive teams to be opened up. There are sparks there and the team is starting to gel and look like they are enjoying playing. We need to sort out the Pogba situation. No doubt he is a talent player but he is very diversive and disruptive. He needs to either shit or get off the pot!

On a positive note, the like of Fred, Wan Bissaka, James, McT, Williams, Greenwood, Rashford are all looking good. Even that miserable French prick has started smiling. So all is not to negative at United IMO.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like excuses to me mate

You need to get rid of Lingard, how much do you pay that waste of space? In fact, you, like Arsenal, need almost a complete overhaul and just start fresh. But that means getting the right top quality manager in and letting them build over a couple of years.
Excuses..... see it how you like. The thing with United is that they are linked with the world and his wife every window probably by the agent leaking 'rumours' to bump up the sale price. Then the press run with it and then when he doesn't go to United (as often they were never in for him) everyone calls it a snub... I know we did scout Haaland but it seems like Rinola and Alf have gone for the money instead.

Lingard - agreed.

As for a complete overhaul, you mad fam? See the players I listed in my post above. All young and performing. We also have a few more on the brink. So for me 2 or 3 out and 2 or 3 in and then reassess.

IMO the team is looking a look better now in terms of potential than it ever did under Moyes, LVG, Jose...
Old Dec 31st 2019, 6:45 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Excuses..... see it how you like. The thing with United is that they are linked with the world and his wife every window probably by the agent leaking 'rumours' to bump up the sale price. Then the press run with it and then when he doesn't go to United (as often they were never in for him) everyone calls it a snub... I know we did scout Haaland but it seems like Rinola and Alf have gone for the money instead.

Lingard - agreed.

As for a complete overhaul, you mad fam? See the players I listed in my post above. All young and performing. We also have a few more on the brink. So for me 2 or 3 out and 2 or 3 in and then reassess.

IMO the team is looking a look better now in terms of potential than it ever did under Moyes, LVG, Jose...
Potential, maybe a bit with some of the younger players.

In terms of quality, I don't see anyone in the United first team squad that walks into any top team apart from Pogba. The rest look like they should be at Spurs or another also-ran. BUT, that might be what United fans are happy to settle for nowadays - I just don't see that squad being title contenders any time soon.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Potential, maybe a bit with some of the younger players.

In terms of quality, I don't see anyone in the United first team squad that walks into any top team apart from Pogba. The rest look like they should be at Spurs or another also-ran. BUT, that might be what United fans are happy to settle for nowadays - I just don't see that squad being title contenders any time soon.
I think that's more than harsh on several of our players especially with the performances against the 'top 6' so far this season.... but I'm not biting on the eve of a new year!

As for title contenders (2020-2021 obv).... I agree but who is at this point? There's 2 windows until next season kicks off and opportunities for youngsters to be blooded in the cup comps. As much as Leicester are putting up a plucky fight I can't see them sustaining the fight over into a new season. City are aging and in need new blood but I'm sure Pep will address that and so I expect them to be fighting next season. Spurs.... can't see it under Jose especially with the spendthrift nature of the owner. Arsenal..... I think they're in a much bigger mess than the majority of their fans think and it'll be interesting to see how Arteta gets on and if he's allowed to spend. Chelsea.... they're in a similar position to us in terms of young manager with inconsistent results and with only a few points between us right now I can see a battle over the remainder of this season. If Roman open up his cheque book for Far Frank you never know.
Anyone else realistically likely to be up there next season?
Old Dec 31st 2019, 10:25 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

We need a DoF.
How about Hassenhutl.....

If Roman open up his cheque book for Far Frank you never know.
I bet they're happier their transfer ban has been reduced.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 12:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see that squad being title contenders any time soon.
I would agree, but I also don't think that's our goal for now. The fact is that the rot has been there for the 6 years since SAF left, and in fact a good 2 years before that, so we've had the same problems for essentially 8 years. These problems are not going to be fixed in 2 or 3 windows, if might be 4 or 5.

I had (and have) by doubts about OGS, but the counter-attacking football has certainly been more entertaining that the slow and plodding crap that JM played, so I am willing to give him time to get it right. Our form is pretty good right now, and yes it probably will turn bad again, but that is the price of playing younger players.

Lest we forget Fergie had 4 years before he won his first trophy. I know it's a different world, but we are a strong club financially and commercially, and can handle a few more years before we start winning things.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:12 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Lest we forget Fergie had 4 years before he won his first trophy. I know it's a different world, but we are a strong club financially and commercially, and can handle a few more years before we start winning things.
And Sir Alex was a game away from being sacked apparently, but results went in his favour.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:15 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
And Sir Alex was a game away from being sacked apparently, but results went in his favour.
Man Utd should never have got rid of Big Ron. He was just about to turn things around.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 9:37 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Peter Crouch voted Tottenhams greatest striker heheheh
Old Dec 31st 2019, 9:47 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
How many times did Pommy vote?
Old Dec 31st 2019, 10:57 pm
I love my brick!

Going to be an interesting game against Blue Manc. A month ago I would have said we would get hammered by them. But now I think we can get something from this game. The players have much more fight which Citeh don't like, and now DCL has started scoring goals we're looking a much better team who are more likely to score. Our defence is still dodgy mind, and Jesus loves to score against us, so who knows.

I reckon it will be a good game whatever the result.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 11:24 pm
So long...

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Originally Posted by zargof View Post
How many times did Pommy vote?

Looks like Liverpool fans hijacked the poll Stay classy, Reds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.