Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Dec 23rd 2019, 4:40 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
One word...embarrassing. Racism too. Disgusts me. Shit weekend for football.

Happy Christmas all and remember when you're pumping down your 5th mince pie, summer bodies are made in winter.
Watched most of the game but not all. It was scrappy and violent from the offset - what's with Spurs when they play Chelsea?

Gazzaniga. Megalols.
Son. Megalols. I had mates trying to argue that wasn't a red card.....then find out it's because he's their FPL captain.

The racism issue is reappearing all too much in English football now. Hopefully there's lifetime bans and really heavy, over the top criminal charges to come against those who are caught and convicted.

5th mince pie? I was on that 1st December you amateur.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Watched most of the game but not all. It was scrappy and violent from the offset - what's with Spurs when they play Chelsea?
That's how derbies should be. I read a report of a Plymouth-Bristol Rovers match the other day. Cup tie and a local derby. A measly 11 fouls. WTF? Why aren't they kicking lumps off each other?
5th mince pie? I was on that 1st December you amateur.
6 for me. But they're only small ones and no top.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:23 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That's how derbies should be. I read a report of a Plymouth-Bristol Rovers match the other day. Cup tie and a local derby.
Local Derby????? Plymouth used to be over 120 miles from Bristol.... have they moved it?
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Local Derby????? Plymouth used to be over 120 miles from Bristol.... have they moved it?
You have to remember that not all football clubs are in the north, midlands or London.

As a Rovers supporter in the third division, with Exeter, Torquay and Newport in the fourth and City in the second along with Swindon and Cardiff, that really only left Plymouth.

Funny thing, Bournemouth is closer and in the third division in those days but it wasn't considered a local derby.

Maybe the Plymouth game was more a derby in Argyle fans' eyes for similar reasons. Argyle-Rovers always seemed more of a 'trouble' match police-wise.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:56 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

As a Rovers supporter in the third division, with Exeter, Torquay and Newport in the fourth and City in the second along with Swindon and Cardiff, that really only left Plymouth.
lol Brizzle Rover's derby is Brizzle City and Argyle's is Exacter.... local derby
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 4:17 pm
Oscar nominated

lol Brizzle Rover's derby is Brizzle City and Argyle's is Exacter.... local derby
Those would be THE local derbies but Rovers/City against any of Swindon, Cardiff were big derbies too.

I think there was an element of being in the same division too hence City-Swindon and Rovers-Plymouth. ManU-Leeds was always a big rivalry but hardly at all now there's no regular game.

On Plymouth's wiki page, City and Rovers are mentioned in addition to Exeter and Torquay.

Thinking more, Rovers-Plymouth was more "west country derby" than local.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 4:27 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Thinking more, Rovers-Plymouth was more "west country derby" than local.
I'll buy west country derby but not local derby

on another note did anyone see Sterling's dive? That was the sort of thing VAR was supposed to sort out never a penalty and then Söyüncü does a goal keeper impression and nothing given... you couldn't make it up. Also just seen Anthony the cheat Taylor's foul on the keeper decision, which must rank as one of the worst calls ever
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 5:10 pm
Oscar nominated

on another note did anyone see Sterling's dive? That was the sort of thing VAR was supposed to sort out never a penalty
My first reaction was a dive. Replays showed the possibility of contact on his right foot but he appeared to go down having dragged the other foot.

Most people will probably blame a defender for going to ground, but as I always say it's the tackle that should determine whether something is a foul, not how the opponent makes use of it. Whether something is given a foul should not come down to how honest a player is or how adept one is at 'finding' a touch.
But Sterling, at least, is someone who is often fouled and it's not given. One's as bad as the other of course.
Also just seen Anthony the cheat Taylor's foul on the keeper decision, which must rank as one of the worst calls ever
Certainly up there. Crazy goalkeeping. Reminded me of a couple: one in an England game, keeper clattered into Theo Walcott I think on the edge of the penalty box. The other may have been an England game too. Keeper came out to punch, completely missed the ball (as in nowhere near it) and punched the attacker in the head.

Interesting that there have been a few VAR reversals lately - with no checking the monitor by on field ref. Complete contrast to the first half dozen matches

Old Dec 24th 2019, 12:04 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
The racism issue is reappearing all too much in English football now. Hopefully there's lifetime bans and really heavy, over the top criminal charges to come against those who are caught and convicted.
Football is just a tiny slice of society, racist incidents have increased in general (compared to recent history, things are still better than decades ago). Society has moved to be more racist, and its global.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 4:43 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

That's how derbies should be. I read a report of a Plymouth-Bristol Rovers match the other day. Cup tie and a local derby. A measly 11 fouls. WTF? Why aren't they kicking lumps off each other?
6 for me. But they're only small ones and no top.
I agree with others that 'derby' is tenuous for that, but yes, if it's meant to be a derby I want to see some physical action, it just seems that it was the Spuds players running around kicking shadows. Weird.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Football is just a tiny slice of society, racist incidents have increased in general (compared to recent history, things are still better than decades ago). Society has moved to be more racist, and its global.
Agree with your bit that's bracketed for sure. We're miles ahead of where we once were but idiots will exist in every generation, sadly.
Old Dec 25th 2019, 5:15 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The privileged white man is angry that he can't say what he thinks
Old Dec 25th 2019, 7:50 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Bleacher Report (Champions League streaming access in USA) have finally realized I have not paid my subscription since February. Looks like I am going to have to pay to watch the knock-out games.
Old Dec 25th 2019, 2:14 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Bleacher Report (Champions League streaming access in USA) have finally realized I have not paid my subscription since February. Looks like I am going to have to pay to watch the knock-out games.
Try Mobdro, from an Android tablet or phone.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 1:44 am
Fair and balanced

I got a projector for Christmas. My wife is so going to wish she hadn't got me it, once we have had a couple of early morning kick offs projected on the bedroom wall from my phone.
This is the gift I had no idea I absolutely needed.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 2:08 am
Oscar nominated

I got a projector for Christmas. My wife is so going to wish she hadn't got me it, once we have had a couple of early morning kick offs projected on the bedroom wall from my phone.
This is the gift I had no idea I absolutely needed.
One of these?

Spoiler:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.