Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I've noticed that, as soon as I saw Pogba was sick the other day I assumed he was just trying for a January move. I guess it's possible Van Dijk is upset he hasn't got a new contract yet but if so he's been very quiet and professional about it, he's also played more games than any of our other defenders so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one and believing he is actually sick.
While my suspicions were similarly aroused regarding Pogba - just seemed too much of a coincidence to be nearing return from what never seemed a particularly bad injury in the first place and then, just as it became hard to believe it was dragging on this long he was then ill - I meant players missing for illness seemed to be an increasing reason, whether or not there was a potential transfer.

It's like we're now allowed to know that players can be under the weather like the rest of us mere mortals whereas previously they were above such things.

Maybe Fantasy Football is to blame. You know, you look at the website and see that none of your team has that orange or red thing next to the name or they're not listed as injured on the injury league table website so you don't do anything about replacing them.

Then when it's too late to make a change you see they've not made the starting line up or even bench so you search for the reason and then see left out for illness. Maybe it's always been there and FF just makes it easier to see.

Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that, as soon as I saw Pogba was sick the other day I assumed he was just trying for a January move. I guess it's possible Van Dijk is upset he hasn't got a new contract yet but if so he's been very quiet and professional about it, he's also played more games than any of our other defenders so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one and believing he is actually sick.

In other news I see we've signed Minamino already, it's crazy that we've got him for 7.25M yet United are being linked to Haaland for 75M. How can he possibly be worth that when he hasn't had a platform to prove it?
Perhaps the clue is Manchester United are looking at signing him and let's face it we have signed other players for substantial amounts who have proven to be duds. I nominate Depay, Schneiderlin, Bebe, Sanchez and Di Maria.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In other news I see we've signed Minamino already, it's crazy that we've got him for 7.25M yet United are being linked to Haaland for 75M. How can he possibly be worth that when he hasn't had a platform to prove it?
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Perhaps the clue is Manchester United are looking at signing him...
That might have been a fair answer a few years ago but much less so now.

However, the likely answer is the contract situation. I saw something that suggested his contract was about up, so it might have been one of those where the player is soon free to move for nothing. But this telegraph article suggests some special clause allowing a low fee.

Haaland is under contract to 2024 and maybe doesn't have the same clause as mentioned in the telegraph. Or maybe he does but it doesn't kick in until later. It's generally true though, that you pay more if the player has more left on his contract and one has 4 years, the other about up.

Looking at the respective players, they've both had the same platform - Austrian league, Europa league and one season Champions League.

One's 24 and the other is 19. This might be like Eriksen at Spurs. If he really was that good, how come he went to Spurs and not someone bigger? All due respect to them, he went there at a time they were only knocking on the door of regular top four. The same can be said now - low or no transfer fee involved and none of the big clubs appear to want him. So maybe not enough clubs are yet convinced by a near 25 year old Minamino.

Haaland is supposedly in demand. His 16 goals in 14 Austrian league games would explain that. Could be a fluke of course.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 11:31 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That might have been a fair answer a few years ago but much less so now.

However, the likely answer is the contract situation. I saw something that suggested his contract was about up, so it might have been one of those where the player is soon free to move for nothing. But this telegraph article suggests some special clause allowing a low fee.

Haaland is under contract to 2024 and maybe doesn't have the same clause as mentioned in the telegraph. Or maybe he does but it doesn't kick in until later. It's generally true though, that you pay more if the player has more left on his contract and one has 4 years, the other about up.

Looking at the respective players, they've both had the same platform - Austrian league, Europa league and one season Champions League.

One's 24 and the other is 19. This might be like Eriksen at Spurs. If he really was that good, how come he went to Spurs and not someone bigger? All due respect to them, he went there at a time they were only knocking on the door of regular top four. The same can be said now - low or no transfer fee involved and none of the big clubs appear to want him. So maybe not enough clubs are yet convinced by a near 25 year old Minamino.

Haaland is supposedly in demand. His 16 goals in 14 Austrian league games would explain that. Could be a fluke of course.
I'm not saying Minamino is better than Haaland but he's much less of a gamble. When you consider that 75M is more than 99% of the players in the Premier League cost it's a lot to spend on a teenager regardless of contract length. Personally I wouldn't rate the Austrian league above the Scottish league and I can't imagine anyone paying 75M for a teenager from Celtic any time soon. He could turn up and be the best player for years but he could also be the final nail in Ole's coffin. That said United probably owe the Haalands a few quid for effectively ending Alf-Inge's career.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 12:52 am
Oscar nominated

I'm not saying Minamino is better than Haaland but he's much less of a gamble.
Yes, I know. But these debates about contrasting fees have been quite common ever since players could go on a 'free' because they were reaching the end of their contract, even within the Prem. ManU paid "only" £15m for James whereas Wan Bissaka went for £45m while contracted to Palace until 2022.

Maguire went for £80m, while van Dijk (much the better player) was £75m. Part of that was likely ManU's desperation and wealth but another year and Southampton were faced with losing van Dijk for nothing, so Liverpool got a bargain, like they may have now.

I know there are better examples, these are just a couple off the top of my head.

Old Dec 20th 2019, 1:38 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
ManU paid "only" £15m for James whereas Wan Bissaka went for £45m while contracted to Palace until 2022.
I'd argue that has more to do with the fact that Wan Bissaka was proven at Premier League level and frankly over the last few seasons a decent defender has proven to be as rare as rocking horse shit, where as James came from Swansea and only played in the Championship. With contract length it usually only reduces the transfer fee so you can pay 25M for a 50M player if they have 1 year left, you don't pay 50M for a 10M player because they have 5 years left.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 1:58 am
You aint seen me, right?

I forgot Mino Raiola is Haaland's agent so the exorbitant fee makes more sense, what doesn't make sense is why United would want another player represented by him, he's nothing but trouble.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Arsenal's new manager

Captain Black in civvies (left) and Mikel Arteta models new Arsenal kit on right.
Old Dec 21st 2019, 10:44 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

how good is KdB? awesome game
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 3:13 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Martin Peters MBE

One of the only two English players to score in a World Cup Final.

Former West Ham, Spurs, Norwich, Sheffield Utd and England player. RIP.
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:45 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
how good is KdB? awesome game
Sod KdB, how ****ing good is Saint Danny of Ings? Banging goals for fun.
Grealish could become a genuinely class player, his horrible attitude needs to go though, once he sheds that chip on his shoulder for whatever reason, he'll improve even quicker.

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away! This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to Hasenhüttl"
(yes, I know it's from last year).
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Hands up all those who believe Pogba is genuinely injured/ill.

Old Dec 22nd 2019, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Bugger me, how's that for timing. I just saw that Pogba is on the bench.

Maybe he'll trip and 'sprain' an ankle.
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 6:37 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

One word...embarrassing. Racism too. Disgusts me. Shit weekend for football.

Happy Christmas all and remember when you're pumping down your 5th mince pie, summer bodies are made in winter.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 2:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
One word...embarrassing. Racism too. Disgusts me. Shit weekend for football.

Happy Christmas all and remember when you're pumping down your 5th mince pie, summer bodies are made in winter.
90 minutes hitting long balls. The Mourinho "project" is recreating the Crazy Gang. Son should be appalled with himself too.

I hope the Amazon contract was worth the money. Mourinho is a has been.

There's no no need for racism anywhere in any situation. I'm disappointed in the object throwing too. Banning for life isn't enough and there should also be criminal charges laid.

Last edited by JamesM; Dec 23rd 2019 at 2:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.