Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:56 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

I think it's unfortunate that Son's red card was overturned. Granted there was no intention for Son to hurt Gomes, but there was also no intention for Son to win the ball. The only reason he made the tackle was to stop an Everton attack. It's a tactic that has become more and more prevalent in the PL in that last few seasons, and overturning Son's red sends the message that it is OK.

Of course I'm sure there will be a lot of disagreement on here from fans of clubs that regularly deploy this tactic. But so be it.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 7:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well there may be some good to come out of this. Some articles and comments from fans appear to recognise that foul play is often trivialised.

Maybe in future there will be yellow cards for that sort of foul every time even if in the first 20 minutes or a player's first foul.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 9:38 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Props to Chelsea, as much as I hate to say it, Spurs would just have fallen apart at 4-1 and given up.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 10:03 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Props to Chelsea, as much as I hate to say it, Spurs would just have fallen apart at 4-1 and given up.
I think you're flattering Spurs by saying they'd wait until 4-1 before giving up tbh.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 12:30 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Fat Frank has done a good job so far- I wasn't expecting to Chelsea to do well at all under him and certainly not with out Hazard.

Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Fat Frank has done a good job so far- I wasn't expecting to Chelsea to do well at all under him and certainly not with out Hazard.
It shows what is possible when one trusts youth coming up through the system.

Not sure if I mentioned it on here but the stupidity of the Prem clubs was shown up earlier this year or maybe at the end of last year.

Chelsea had Hudson-Odoi but weren't giving him chances. None other than Bayern Munich were interested, having seen him in rare Chelsea appearances and 'youth' type levels for England. He was part of the 2017 success of the various England 'age' teams, just like Sancho.

So Bayern were prepared to pay Chelsea something like £35m for him, probably thinking they may have their version of Sancho.

Meanwhile Dortmund were content to sell Pulisic, because they had Sancho and they didn't need him. And Chelsea paid £57 for him. They paid more for Pulisic than Bayern were offering for Hudson-Odoi, a player that Chelsea were not interested in at that time.

Chelsea had a higher regard for a young player given opportunities by a top team in Germany (as well as Sancho) that they wouldn't give to one of their own who was even more highly rated by the top German club.

If something like that had been written in advance of anyone knowing these three players one would have believed it satire in the style of Catch-22. Especially if they'd written it more adroitly than myself.

Maybe more will follow Frank's lead.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 9:58 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

well that was a wacky game... should have had it sewn up by half time, could have lost it and then played brilliantly to wind the clock down with Kyle Walker in goal.

And on that note Kyle Walker has now made 2 more saves than Bravo in the CL....

phew
Old Nov 6th 2019, 10:27 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
well that was a wacky game... should have had it sewn up by half time, could have lost it and then played brilliantly to wind the clock down with Kyle Walker in goal.

And on that note Kyle Walker has now made 2 more saves than Bravo in the CL....

phew
I wonder what happened to Ederson. I mean just propping up Ederson in goal ala Weekend at Bernie's would still be better that Bravo.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 10:43 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
I wonder what happened to Ederson. I mean just propping up Ederson in goal ala Weekend at Bernie's would still be better that Bravo.
you are not wrong on Bravo... not sure on Ederson, hope it was just caution
Old Nov 7th 2019, 12:56 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

How did Manchester City beat us on penalties when they don't seem to have one player who can score a penalty let alone 5?
Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
How did Manchester City beat us on penalties when they don't seem to have one player who can score a penalty let alone 5?
Citeh has won 9 out of 10 penalty shootouts in the last 10 years including twice against your lot including a 4-2 win when we only had to take 4...... people in glass houses need to be careful throwing stones......

we've never missed 3 out of 5 in a shoot out....
Old Nov 7th 2019, 5:54 pm
You aint seen me, right?

Citeh has won 9 out of 10 penalty shootouts in the last 10 years including twice against your lot including a 4-2 win when we only had to take 4...... people in glass houses need to be careful throwing stones......

we've never missed 3 out of 5 in a shoot out....
Which makes it even more amazing that when you get a penalty in a match your player's conversion rate is poor. Must be something in the water in Manchester.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:08 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Which makes it even more amazing that when you get a penalty in a match your player's conversion rate is poor. Must be something in the water in Manchester.
fake news my boy

we've scored 2 out of 2 in the PL and 6 against your 5 in the CS shoot out.... clearly not water you are drinking???
Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:15 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

best PL penalty takers of all time is topped by a Citeh player, has 2 Southampton players, one Fulham and one wet spam rounding out the top 5.

Bottom 5 does include a current Citeh player from his Leicester days and of course Pogba... ah that's it you've confused yernited and citeh????
Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:40 pm
You aint seen me, right?

best PL penalty takers of all time is topped by a Citeh player, has 2 Southampton players, one Fulham and one wet spam rounding out the top 5.

Bottom 5 does include a current Citeh player from his Leicester days and of course Pogba... ah that's it you've confused yernited and citeh????
It was a joke based on the current conversion rate of the City players, granted I don't watch them too often but after Mahrez at Anfield last year, Aguero vs Spurs and now Jesus, comparing them to the red side of the city isn't too far fetched.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.