Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Sep 16th 2019, 1:45 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
So, after the official admission that it is, after all, quite alright to challenge/revise the original decision, I was expecting a change this weekend. But seeing that obvious penalty Liverpool should have been given, apparently not.

Bournemouth"s first goal was offside today. VAR was used, but I don't understand why it was overruled.

Not that it really mattered as Everton were shite and deserved to lose.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Pleased with the weekends's football, didn't see the Spurs game but apparently the scoreline flattered the performance, but anyway that's put Palace back in their box! Some talk of disrespecting Moura for putting him on for 5 mins, Yes he pretty much got us to the CL final but Kane is much proven so don't really see the issue?

Just got back from DC, so nice to finally see a game where the Cherries pretty much had hold of the game for the whole way through (with perhaps the exception of the first 20 mins of the second half).. Everton never offered very much and my God their support was dire, the fans were pretty much silent save for the one goal and most had left by 80 minutes to get the train back to Scouseland.
Hi do i sniff a cherries fan there.If so get your hankies ready for Friday night . Saints are on the march
Old Sep 16th 2019, 10:32 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Hi do i sniff a cherries fan there.If so get your hankies ready for Friday night . Saints are on the march
Nope a Spurs fan, watch Bournemouth at home though, it's complicated.......

Thankfully won't be at St Mary's on Friday, although the old man is going, last time I went to the south coast El Clasico, we were verbally abused by a Southamptopn fan at St Deny's train station, he threatened violence but then fell over his own feet and threw up over the train tracks and went home, sums up Southampton FC and their fans I think.

Last edited by pommybird; Sep 16th 2019 at 10:34 am.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 12:21 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully won't be at St Mary's on Friday, although the old man is going, last time I went to the south coast El Clasico, we were verbally abused by a Southamptopn fan at St Deny's train station, he threatened violence but then fell over his own feet and threw up over the train tracks and went home, sums up Southampton FC and their fans I think.
Ahem.

I'm likely to be back for a week in October. Just done some research and looks like the only game I'll make is Wolves away. Dad's in, looks like an away day for a Saturday afternoon thumping of some Midlander plebs. Hooray!
Old Sep 16th 2019, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Bournemouth"s first goal was offside today. VAR was used, but I don't understand why it was overruled.

I have herd( moo) thats a cow to you lot up there,their boots are made of toffee that,,s why they are shite
Old Sep 16th 2019, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah make,s sense now cockney tea leaf,s.Never forgiven you lot for stealing Martin Chivers. Then Then you come back and steal El Poch and you,ve turn,t in too diver.s tart,s and actors.If he (El Poch) had stayed at saint mary,s he would have been a prem champion F.A cup winners and won champions league.oh yea of little faith By the way if you,r from st deny.s, you,re the wrong side of the tracks,Was it an old saints player
Old Sep 16th 2019, 10:20 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Ahem.

I'm likely to be back for a week in October. Just done some research and looks like the only game I'll make is Wolves away. Dad's in, looks like an away day for a Saturday afternoon thumping of some Midlander plebs. Hooray!
I may be hallucinating but are you top of the FF Scamp?
Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post

It was the "second phase" thing. I don't recall who the co-commentator was but he said Wilson gained an advantage from his offside position. But like many people, he erroneously applied the everyday definition whereas the offside laws apply it only to gaining an advantage by a ball rebounding to him.

On this particular one, Wilson was in an offside position when the ball flew over his head. He wasn't active according to similar restrictive definitions of active and when the ball was next played (the so called second or different phase) he was back onside. The VAR officials were happy with that and they were looking at whether the ball went back to Wilson off an arm.

As the rule is, it wasn't offside. But as a long time football fan I remember when offside, technical points aside, was all about "seeking to gain an advantage."

It seems a bit silly to me that a player can be in an offside position and then be given offside if the ball unplanned/by fluke then rebounds to him (which is fine) but when he does seek to gain an advantage by being in an offside position, a team mate can pass to someone else (onside) and a second later plays the ball to a now onside player but one who is only there because he was offside a second earlier.

The idea that accidental offside is given offside but the planned ploy involving being deliberately offside is counted as onside seems bizarre to me.

In some ways it's a clever use of the laws as they are now.

I remember in the Liverpool-Barca matches in the Champions League, Messi in particular would drift in behind Liverpool's defenders, well offside. So far offside that you could almost believe they switched off, not worrying about him.

Then the ball would be played wide to, say, Suarez who carries it forward quickly and ahead of Messi who is now in an onside position and ready to receive the pass with defenders chasing back. It just seems so wrong that the reason for the law in the first place was to stop goal-hanging yet here we have Messi engaging in a form of goal-hanging and definitely gaining an advantage from his offside position, but as the advantage wasn't gained by the (accidental) rebound everything is considered fine.

It's effective but it just seems so wrong.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:08 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It was the "second phase" thing. I don't recall who the co-commentator was but he said Wilson gained an advantage from his offside position. But like many people, he erroneously applied the everyday definition whereas the offside laws apply it only to gaining an advantage by a ball rebounding to him.

On this particular one, Wilson was in an offside position when the ball flew over his head. He wasn't active according to similar restrictive definitions of active and when the ball was next played (the so called second or different phase) he was back onside. The VAR officials were happy with that and they were looking at whether the ball went back to Wilson off an arm.

As the rule is, it wasn't offside. But as a long time football fan I remember when offside, technical points aside, was all about "seeking to gain an advantage."

It seems a bit silly to me that a player can be in an offside position and then be given offside if the ball unplanned/by fluke then rebounds to him (which is fine) but when he does seek to gain an advantage by being in an offside position, a team mate can pass to someone else (onside) and a second later plays the ball to a now onside player but one who is only there because he was offside a second earlier.

The idea that accidental offside is given offside but the planned ploy involving being deliberately offside is counted as onside seems bizarre to me.

In some ways it's a clever use of the laws as they are now.

I remember in the Liverpool-Barca matches in the Champions League, Messi in particular would drift in behind Liverpool's defenders, well offside. So far offside that you could almost believe they switched off, not worrying about him.

Then the ball would be played wide to, say, Suarez who carries it forward quickly and ahead of Messi who is now in an onside position and ready to receive the pass with defenders chasing back. It just seems so wrong that the reason for the law in the first place was to stop goal-hanging yet here we have Messi engaging in a form of goal-hanging and definitely gaining an advantage from his offside position, but as the advantage wasn't gained by the (accidental) rebound everything is considered fine.

It's effective but it just seems so wrong.
Yup, playing to the rules as close to the edge as possible.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Yup, playing to the rules as close to the edge as possible.
It was so obvious what Messi was doing though in those games. At first I thought what a lazy bugger, not tracking back.
And then it happened so often it was clearly deliberate. It's a surprise that more don't do it but it really only happens on free kicks where attackers stand offside and let someone else run from onside to play the ball.

Like one that Grealish couldn't quite score from late on against West Ham tonight. On the replay you see about three Villa players in offside positions, but Grealish suddenly comes through to get on the end of the cross.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 12:25 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
He private messaged me and said it doesn't warrant a response because he feels his FF performance has earned him the right now on this forum to be called Scampiola!
Old Sep 17th 2019, 5:57 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

It appears so. Not sure how though my friend, it will all change though.

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
He private messaged me and said it doesn't warrant a response because he feels his FF performance has earned him the right now on this forum to be called Scampiola!
Sampiola: The (not) Bald Fraud.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 9:43 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

well first game week of CL over:

Chelski somehow conspired to lose a game they should have won easily.

VvD and Koulibaly showed they are the 2 best centre halfs in the world and Napoli cleverly targeted the weak full back areas down both sides to deservedly win

A strangely lack luster Spurs were very Spursey but managed to hold on for a point.

Citeh had a comfortable win even though they spurned at least 4 easy chances to score, Sterling hitting the post when it was easier to score and Gundo should have had a hattrick...

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Sep 19th 2019 at 9:49 am.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 10:43 am
WWLLCJD?

well first game week of CL over:

Chelski somehow conspired to lose a game they should have won easily.

VvD and Koulibaly showed they are the 2 best centre halfs in the world and Napoli cleverly targeted the weak full back areas down both sides to deservedly win

A strangely lack luster Spurs were very Spursey but managed to hold on for a point.

Citeh had a comfortable win even though they spurned at least 4 easy chances to score, Sterling hitting the post when it was easier to score and Gundo should have had a hattrick...
Don't forget we learnt that Andy Robertson had to delete his twitter account because he received so much abuse from Liverpool fans for giving away a pen.

Lest we never, ever forget they're the biggest scumbags on earth.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 7:00 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Don't forget we learnt that Andy Robertson had to delete his twitter account because he received so much abuse from Liverpool fans for giving away a pen.

Lest we never, ever forget they're the biggest scumbags on earth.
That's what I don't understand, most Liverpool fans I've seen say it wasn't a penalty so how could they give him abuse if they're blaming the ref? Something doesn't seem to add up there. It looked like a dead on penalty to me but unless he's doing every match like Moreno did I'll give him a pass. TAA has done far worse with his handballs in the box and got away with it so not sure why Robbo would get so much abuse if he did. That said I didn't actually see the abuse just heard he got rid of his Twitter, which tbh more people should do. VVD was to blame for the second goal and we didn't really play too well, though we lost all our away group matches last year so I'm not too worried yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.