Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Sep 11th 2019, 7:36 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Any candidates?
Gomez and Stones
Old Sep 11th 2019, 8:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
It's not like this is a phenomenon unique to the England team. At club level it is very rare that a manager will rotate goalkeepers. In most cases it makes sense as the defence are aware of what the keeper can do and know instinctively what the keeper is going to do.
Sure, but at the club level you don't get short periods every two years where it's 'all or nothing' like you do in the international game.

While an injury is possible your goalkeeper is not going to be suspended for yellow card accumulation like he might in tournament finals.

Aside from that, the club understudy will likely play in at least one of the domestic cups or, when there's a run of the mill league match immediately before a big champions league match, say, then he can get some playing time there.

Man City, ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs have all been playing their second choice keepers in the cups/minor league games and even Juventus were alternating theirs.

England generally has numerous qualifying matches and friendlies to give some playing time to back up keepers.

Old Sep 11th 2019, 8:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
A recent Sky article claimed England were on the cusp of a Golden era for Goalkeeping.

Pickford is ok and I still regard him as the pick of the bunch but I certainly don't see depth in the position.
Yeah, there was one in the guardian too.

Seaman was the last of the great ones but we persisted with him too long when Nigel Martyn should have been rewarded for his performances at Leeds when they had that exceptional couple of years in Europe before it all fell apart for them.

We had a period where we didn't produce any good keepers because Prem clubs were importing them, just like coaches and creative players so we had a shortage of those too. Now that we have some choices - albeit they're not being chosen for more than the bench - it's just better than it was.
In an era of declining grass roots and kids preferring eGames I don't think England will ever be able to rely on talent depth
Well even that's a whole lot better than it was 5 to 20 years ago.

Centre backs aside in most positions any one of around 3 players can be picked to do the job with no significant loss to the team. Of course that doesn't mean they're very good, but it does mean that nobody need ever be missed like players like Keegan, Brooking, Robson, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and Rooney have all been sorely missed at different times with nobody coming close to making up the loss.

Old Sep 11th 2019, 8:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Gomez and Stones
Although I feel Stones should really have learned by now that there are times when you don't try to play out.

Gomez plays between TAA and Van Dijk, he's not just sharing RB, so yes, he can do it too.

I still think Dier should be told he's a CB or not involved. He's not good enough for midfield at the top level - really got shown up by Juve in the CL a year or two back. For me he is the compromise. Defends first but can play with the ball a bit.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 8:37 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Sure, but at the club level you don't get short periods every two years where it's 'all or nothing' like you do in the international game.

While an injury is possible your goalkeeper is not going to be suspended for yellow card accumulation like he might in tournament finals.

Aside from that, the club understudy will likely play in at least one of the domestic cups or, when there's a run of the mill league match immediately before a big champions league match, say, then he can get some playing time there.

Man City, ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs have all been playing their second choice keepers in the cups/minor league games and even Juventus were alternating theirs.

England generally has numerous qualifying matches and friendlies to give some playing time to back up keepers.
The fact that tournaments are only a matter of a few weeks is a good reason for having a single goalkeeper. You need the consistency of a goalkeeper that the defence knows.

Also I don't buy the argument of a back up keeper needing playing time. They should be getting that at their club. If they aren't then why are they even in the international squad?
Old Sep 11th 2019, 9:25 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Although I feel Stones should really have learned by now that there are times when you don't try to play out.

Gomez plays between TAA and Van Dijk, he's not just sharing RB, so yes, he can do it too.

I still think Dier should be told he's a CB or not involved. He's not good enough for midfield at the top level - really got shown up by Juve in the CL a year or two back. For me he is the compromise. Defends first but can play with the ball a bit.
yeah agree all that
Old Sep 11th 2019, 10:50 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
The fact that tournaments are only a matter of a few weeks is a good reason for having a single goalkeeper. You need the consistency of a goalkeeper that the defence knows.
Yes of course you only want the one keeper and the best one. But something might happen to prevent that either leading into the tournament or at the finals themselves.

Also I don't buy the argument of a back up keeper needing playing time. They should be getting that at their club. If they aren't then why are they even in the international squad?
I meant playing time with the national team not generally. Playing time at his club doesn't help with the defence that he doesn't know because he's not had playing time with those players and they won't know him as well as the guy indisposed.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 12:03 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course you only want the one keeper and the best one. But something might happen to prevent that either leading into the tournament or at the finals themselves.

I meant playing time with the national team not generally. Playing time at his club doesn't help with the defence that he doesn't know because he's not had playing time with those players and they won't know him as well as the guy indisposed.
They have training sessions at tournaments where all the goalkeepers train with the players.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 1:10 am
Oscar nominated

They have training sessions at tournaments where all the goalkeepers train with the players.
Not the same as actually playing in match conditions and how team mates react to different opponents of different styles. That only comes with being part of the real thing.

I'm just saying that a club understudy will have domestic cup matches and some minor league games (as well as much more training/familiarity) and be more ready to step in unexpectedly than the NT understudy who might otherwise be a bit more prepared if he had some friendlies and dead rubber qualifiers to play in.

Just to repeat, the 27 and 33 year old back up keepers have done it once and three times.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
365. Only works when on WiFi. Not tried with mobile data and VPN though.
Du wifi? Cannot get it on Etisalat data and now on Etisalat wifi since I've moved and that aint playing ball either.... :-(
Old Sep 12th 2019, 9:11 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Du wifi? Cannot get it on Etisalat data and now on Etisalat wifi since I've moved and that aint playing ball either.... :-(
Du wifi at home, yeah.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 12:03 pm
Oscar nominated

What the...
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ny-testimonial

Sign him up.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 7:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Played my Fantasy Wild Card. I can't do any worse so figure now was the time!
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

I note you didn't show the clip of him half killing Bellamy with the worse tackle I've seen since Scholes retired😉😉
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:39 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Played my Fantasy Wild Card. I can't do any worse so figure now was the time!
you are still above civilservant and I so can do worse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.