Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Jun 13th 2019, 11:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Sarri off to Juve
Apparently Pogba will be following him.

Interesting times at Chelsea. They actually had a reasonable season so to be changing manager can't be ideal. It will be tough for the new man who won't have Hazard in the side.

Is there any update on the Newcastle takeover? I think that could be the biggest disruptor to the Premier League in the next couple of years if it happens.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:01 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
You sold us Lovren in the first place so I think it's you that owes me the apology.
Let's get the facts straight, shall we

No-one forced Liverpool to pay for Lovren, they chose to. The only apology needed is from LFC to their fans for buying him
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:23 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post

Is there any update on the Newcastle takeover? I think that could be the biggest disruptor to the Premier League in the next couple of years if it happens.
no but rumour is the guy has the same level of wealth as the bloke who bought Sheff Utd and is not in Mansour's league, apparantly he has tried to buy other clubs but can't provide proof of funds to meet due dilligence.

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Jun 14th 2019 at 12:27 am.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:42 am
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Can't see him coming for anything less than what we pay Sanchez, and even them PSG can outbid us. Would love to see him come in though.
There’s more chance of me playing CB for United this season than there is de Ligt....

Not a chance is he coming to a club with no Champions League football on offer- that would be a step down from what Ajax can offer him.

It’ll sting to lose out to a nothing club like PSG, who play in a crap league which they win at a canter every year, but if de Ligt wants big money, they’ve got it.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:00 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There’s more chance of me playing CB for United this season than there is de Ligt....
Agreed. Not sure that there are that many better options out there though that hit the criteria of 'young' and 'good' - seems we might be after Maguire too, but all I see is another Chris Smalling who has one decent world cup and not alot else. It's not like Leicester were pulling up trees last year.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:49 am
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Not sure that there are that many better options out there though that hit the criteria of 'young' and 'good' - seems we might be after Maguire too, but all I see is another Chris Smalling who has one decent world cup and not alot else. It's not like Leicester were pulling up trees last year.
Leicester selling Kante was probably part of Leicester's problem.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That was 2016.

Even at the beginning of last season it was 2 years later. Time to move on I think.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:31 pm
Jigsaw

That was 2016.

Even at the beginning of last season it was 2 years later. Time to move on I think.
Time flies when one season is as bad as the last......
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:36 pm
Often not so civil...

as a United fan I can relate for pretty much the last 5 years!
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:33 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

United are "run" by businessmen and bankers, not football people.

Our owners & CEO look for "value in the market" from a purely financial/commercial perspective. In their eyes, they'd already given Mourinho two more centre-backs (Bailly and Lindelof) to add to the ones already there (Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Tuanzebe), so spending another £50m to get Maguire last summer "wasn't sensible". I'd hope that it's even LESS "sensible" to give Leicester City £90m for him now.... but this is Woodward, so sense doesn't apply.

I don't rate Maguire as anything other than a decent English CB, nothing special compared with several others we've been linked to, and he's certainly not worth what Leicester City are trying to extort for him....they're hoping for a bidding war with citeh to develop.

I'm very disappointed in de Ligt. Had he chosen to go to Barcelona (or even one of our English rivals!!), I could have understood it- Barca are a fabulous club who compete for the biggest trophies every year in a tough league. Instead, he's apparently chosen PSG- a club who win their domestic title with ease every season because they can outspend their handful of domestic rivals (Lyon, Marseille) easily but have so far failed to 'buy' a European Cup. Raiola is poison in the modern game, as are most agents it seems. I'd love to know how much PSG are paying that runt for "advising" his client to take their filthy lucre.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
I don't rate Maguire as anything other than a decent English CB, nothing special compared with several others we've been linked to, and he's certainly not worth what Leicester City are trying to extort for him....they're hoping for a bidding war with citeh to develop.
I have enormous fondness for 'Arry from his time with us, and you're right, he's a decent CB. He's fearless, can move with the ball (got a decent Cruyff turn in him) and likes to go on a run - all which make him hugely popular with fans. But he's got a mistake in him too often at the moment to be worth what Leicester are asking, and when he does he tends to panic and then his default is to try to wrestle with the opposition.

As an aside, Daniel James is a local lad who started out in the Hull City Academy before moving to Swansea Academy so watching his debut at Old Trafford with interest.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:28 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

as a United fan I can relate for pretty much the last 5 years!
come back in another 30 years if it stays the same..... the first decade is the worst
Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:29 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post

well you have got to be better than Phil Jones so give it a go
Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:36 pm
Often not so civil...

I remember when United signed him, it really did seem like an excellent buy even at nearly $20 million. I had seen him play a little for Blackburn and he was tough, quick, and appeared to make good decisions in bad situations.

Where did that player go exactly?
Old Jun 14th 2019, 6:49 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

I remember when United signed him, it really did seem like an excellent buy even at nearly $20 million. I had seen him play a little for Blackburn and he was tough, quick, and appeared to make good decisions in bad situations.

Where did that player go exactly?
People worked out his weaknesses and now exploit them mercilessly. He is very very fast in a straight line for a big man but struggles to change direction and has poor balance and positional awareness and he can't hide those problems when he is one on one with a Messi or Aguerooooo who just sit him on his backside. I suspect he doesn't have much intellectual horsepower either.

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Jun 14th 2019 at 6:51 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.