Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:17 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

good article here on squad ages

https://www.90min.com/posts/6143994-...ue-this-season

yernited's a bit older than one thought....
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

well you certainly need younger full backs but the average age pf your squad is about the same as Citeh and the scousers.
It just feels like an old squad to me. Perhaps because so many Fergie signing are still hanging around the squad even though they aren't good enough (I'm looking at you Young, Jones and Smalling) It also feels like a very thin squad, which is not a United thing.

The heady days of being able to put out 2 squads that would have been competitive in the PL was not so long ago.

Of course the youth transfer policy would be enormously expensive now (again, De Ligt) but I think we have to try to have any hope of competing. We can't simply can't pay as much money as City (or pay it for players we shouldn't) and are now struggling to attract the best talent because of it and the downward spiral.

I really dislike Maureen, but what he did with essentially this squad finishing 2nd was pretty miraculous.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:33 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Frig, I leave again for a few weeks, and come back to find you all STILL talking about United... we haven't been relevant for at least 2 years now.

Absolutely fine with the fixture list. If our lot can't raise themselves to play Chelsea at home on the opening Sunday, the season will be defined after a single game, and we can "ready ourselves" for the shit-show that follows.

Wolves will have played two or three Europa League qualifying games before they go to Leicester City on the opening day, and then have to host us the following week...that can either work 'for' them (much closer to full match fitness) or 'against' them (as happened to Burnley last season, when they showed relegation form until mid-November due to having to expend themselves in Europe so early...).

With the fixtures, they are what they are. Early December looks tricky, but I'm not bothered. By then we'll know if we have anything (top 4 at best) to play for or not.

As with last year, it's a 'race' for 3rd behind the scousers and citeh. We won't even be in that race unless Woodward gets his finger out of his arse and backs the manager. A promising kid from the Championship isn't about to turn things around...polishing a turd.

Oh, by the way: I hate football. That's unlikely to change anytime soon...this feels like summer 1973 (which thankfully I was too young to 'appreciate' like older United fans).
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
It just feels like an old squad to me. Perhaps because so many Fergie signing are still hanging around the squad even though they aren't good enough (I'm looking at you Young, Jones and Smalling) It also feels like a very thin squad, which is not a United thing.

The heady days of being able to put out 2 squads that would have been competitive in the PL was not so long ago.

Of course the youth transfer policy would be enormously expensive now (again, De Ligt) but I think we have to try to have any hope of competing. We can't simply can't pay as much money as City (or pay it for players we shouldn't) and are now struggling to attract the best talent because of it and the downward spiral.

I really dislike Maureen, but what he did with essentially this squad finishing 2nd was pretty miraculous.
agree with you on Young, Jones and Smalling but have to point out you out bid Citeh for Pogba, Fred and Sanchez (thank god) so don't buy the can't afford it nonsense. Liverpool spent the most money ever in a calendar year, Yernited has the biggest wage bill and the most expensive player and a huge commercial arm. Citeh has bought better players but baulkwd at paying Sanchez 500 thousand a week, which was ok with Ed.....

You'll have to spend but more intelligently than in the past 5 years methinks
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:39 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Frig, I leave again for a few weeks, and come back to find you all STILL talking about United... we haven't been relevant for at least 6 years now.

FIFY
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:42 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Frig, I leave again for a few weeks, and come back to find you all STILL talking about United... we haven't been relevant for at least 2 years now.

Absolutely fine with the fixture list. If our lot can't raise themselves to play Chelsea at home on the opening Sunday, the season will be defined after a single game, and we can "ready ourselves" for the shit-show that follows.

Wolves will have played two or three Europa League qualifying games before they go to Leicester City on the opening day, and then have to host us the following week...that can either work 'for' them (much closer to full match fitness) or 'against' them (as happened to Burnley last season, when they showed relegation form until mid-November due to having to expend themselves in Europe so early...).

With the fixtures, they are what they are. Early December looks tricky, but I'm not bothered. By then we'll know if we have anything (top 4 at best) to play for or not.

As with last year, it's a 'race' for 3rd behind the scousers and citeh. We won't even be in that race unless Woodward gets his finger out of his arse and backs the manager. A promising kid from the Championship isn't about to turn things around...polishing a turd.

Oh, by the way: I hate football. That's unlikely to change anytime soon...this feels like summer 1973 (which thankfully I was too young to 'appreciate' like older United fans).
Yeah the fixtures don't matter as you still have to play everyone home and away at some point. I got bollocked for talking about Citeh so am now teasing yernited fans and throwing barbs at scousers, which seems more acceptable
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
agree with you on Young, Jones and Smalling but have to point out you out bid Citeh for Pogba, Fred and Sanchez (thank god) so don't buy the can't afford it nonsense. Liverpool spent the most money ever in a calendar year, Yernited has the biggest wage bill and the most expensive player and a huge commercial arm. Citeh has bought better players but baulkwd at paying Sanchez 500 thousand a week, which was ok with Ed.....

You'll have to spend but more intelligently than in the past 5 years methinks
Oh I don't disagree, we have spunked money on useless tosh. We just need to spend it on tosh with potential rather than the 'finished article' that downs tooks after a bad couple of months.

Being linked with Dybala just make me cringe. We buy him he'll be gone in a year just like all the big names we have brought it. Di Maria, Pogba, Falcao. Signed at great expense and played like they spent the year on the beach.

Sad but true!
Old Jun 13th 2019, 6:10 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Oh I don't disagree, we have spunked money on useless tosh. We just need to spend it on tosh with potential rather than the 'finished article' that downs tooks after a bad couple of months.

Being linked with Dybala just make me cringe. We buy him he'll be gone in a year just like all the big names we have brought it. Di Maria, Pogba, Falcao. Signed at great expense and played like they spent the year on the beach.
yes this is a discussion that Rodders and I had a few years back on here about buy to develop players rather than Maureen's buy 30 year olds for one or two seasons and then buy another. One suspects this youngster from Swansea is buy to develop.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 6:17 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
yes this is a discussion that Rodders and I had a few years back on here about buy to develop players rather than Maureen's buy 30 year olds for one or two seasons and then buy another. One suspects this youngster from Swansea is buy to develop.
Danny James may be 'buy to develop', but if they don't back Ole for the rest of this window, just who exactly will be developing James, since they'll probably sack Ole after we bomb our way through the August & September fixtures...?!

Frankly, unless we get another 3 or 4 quality players in (CB absolute priority, as is an actual RB instead of Ashley bloody Young...), we may as well concede top 6 before the season begins...not a chance. Throw in losing Lukaku to Inter Milan (definitely happening) and Pogba to Juventus (looking likely too), and we're threadbare in terms of quality...
Old Jun 13th 2019, 7:14 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Danny James may be 'buy to develop', but if they don't back Ole for the rest of this window, just who exactly will be developing James, since they'll probably sack Ole after we bomb our way through the August & September fixtures...?!

Frankly, unless we get another 3 or 4 quality players in (CB absolute priority, as is an actual RB instead of Ashley bloody Young...), we may as well concede top 6 before the season begins...not a chance. Throw in losing Lukaku to Inter Milan (definitely happening) and Pogba to Juventus (looking likely too), and we're threadbare in terms of quality...
yeah agree all that and the first priority must be a right back as Ashley Young was a fine attacking mf player but is probably the worst full back to play in the EPL, priority 2 is a commanding centre back methinks in the Vidic\Vinnie style or even VVD but Ed will probably buy Lovren instead or you can have Mangala for 6 pence?

Old Jun 13th 2019, 7:20 pm
Often not so civil...

All too old though, I want youth. We need youth. Not another 28 year old like Koulibaly
Old Jun 13th 2019, 8:28 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

All too old though, I want youth. We need youth. Not another 28 year old like Koulibaly
yeah I get that, I meant that type of player not those individuals. DeLigt might be the one, young, commanding and AJAX skipper at 19
Old Jun 13th 2019, 8:38 pm
Often not so civil...

Can't see him coming for anything less than what we pay Sanchez, and even them PSG can outbid us. Would love to see him come in though.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 9:55 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Can't see him coming for anything less than what we pay Sanchez, and even them PSG can outbid us. Would love to see him come in though.
yeah and you'll have to pay DDG that too to keep him
Old Jun 13th 2019, 10:36 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Sarri off to Juve

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.