Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Agreed, it was a terrible referreeing decision for Kovacic's second yellow, but I'll take the win anyway. VAR couldn't get involved as the referee had seen the incident even though the decision was wrong.....
The first one could have gone the other way too, depending on which angle you see.

Considering the reluctance of referees to show 2nd yellows - and I completely agree with that when the two yellows are not really "worth" a red - it wouldn't take much to have VAR reviews for all red cards whether straight or for 2nd yellows.

Alternatively, recognise that some yellow cards are shown for things that were not even fouls when dismissals originally resulted from two and do the logical thing and make it three. A bonus for this would likely be refs not holding back with that first booking like they do currently.

Anyone remember when there used to be a points system with bookings scoring 1-4 points? When it was introduced, 12 points was where the suspension was triggered. But too many hit 12 too soon and it was upped to 20.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 12:08 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The first one could have gone the other way too, depending on which angle you see.

Considering the reluctance of referees to show 2nd yellows - and I completely agree with that when the two yellows are not really "worth" a red - it wouldn't take much to have VAR reviews for all red cards whether straight or for 2nd yellows.

Alternatively, recognise that some yellow cards are shown for things that were not even fouls when dismissals originally resulted from two and do the logical thing and make it three. A bonus for this would likely be refs not holding back with that first booking like they do currently.

Anyone remember when there used to be a points system with bookings scoring 1-4 points? When it was introduced, 12 points was where the suspension was triggered. But too many hit 12 too soon and it was upped to 20.
It's almost like an extra card is needed....but then I hate myself for even suggesting it.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 12:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's almost like an extra card is needed....but then I hate myself for even suggesting it.
Why not four and go for a full house?

(I hope that joke works...I have no idea how poker works but it sounds funny )
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:22 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Why not four and go for a full house?

(I hope that joke works...I have no idea how poker works but it sounds funny )
Full house is five cards but I get you boss.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:36 pm
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Full house is five cards but I get you boss.
CL
PL
FA Cup
League Cup

I suppose we could include the Community Shield and Super Cup to those, making it a six-pack.....
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 7:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sorry for Wolves fans, but at least Spurs fan now get an extra trip to somewhere interesting for an EL qualifying round....
Some of the teams the mighty Spurs could be playing in the 2nd round qualifying of the EL include......
Of course there's the added bonus that Spurs get to play a team or three who've taken their club name from an opticians chart, and who may fancy their chances at their own ground as they're one-legged games this season.
Still obsessed with Spurs I see. You should be celebrating winning a cup not looking up the league at us all the time and trying to think of disparaging posts. Oh well once a Gooner.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 7:35 pm
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Still obsessed with Spurs I see. You should be celebrating winning a cup not looking up the league at us all the time and trying to think of disparaging posts. Oh well once a Gooner.
It's a bit of banter...
Old Aug 4th 2020, 5:59 am
WWLLCJD?

CL
PL
FA Cup
League Cup

I suppose we could include the Community Shield and Super Cup to those, making it a six-pack.....
I've got a few of those under my shirt.

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Pretty big nibble.

It's a bit of banter...
Spurs fans are just embarrassed, threw the league away when Leicester won it, built a fancy new stadium and now the most exciting thing they can hope for is the money they get from Kane to go towards a top new striker a shit replacement and some stadium repayments.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 8:33 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a few of those under my shirt.

Pretty big nibble.

Spurs fans are just embarrassed, threw the league away when Leicester won it, built a fancy new stadium and now the most exciting thing they can hope for is the money they get from Kane to go towards a top new striker a shit replacement and some stadium repayments.
Just been having a poke about on the interwebble to see who is being linked with Spurs.....doesn't make for pretty reading so far.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 10:52 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Even as a United fan, and with the uptick in performances after the restart, I really don't think that OGS is the right man for the job - but apparently Woodward is going to let him spunk another record fee for an Englishman on Sancho, even though Maguire has been less than stellar this year.

We need another CB, not another attacking player (at least not one that expensive)

Pogba can go too. The commentators seem to think that he has raised his game since Fernandes joined, I don't see it personally. He's caught on the ball too frequently for someone of his skill.

As for De Gea.... well, I would like to see Dean Henderson given a chance in some PL games, with the possibility of shipping DDG out next summer.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:26 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Pogba can go too. The commentators seem to think that he has raised his game since Fernandes joined, I don't see it personally. He's caught on the ball too frequently for someone of his skill.
I imagine it's a bit like when they say Lovren got better when playing along side VVD, he didn't, VVD just did most of the work so gave him less chances to mess up.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I imagine it's a bit like when they say Lovren got better when playing along side VVD, he didn't, VVD just did most of the work so gave him less chances to mess up.
Yep that pretty much sums it up. His performances haven't improved, he just needs to be less now because BF has become the creative thrust of the team

I suspect that there isn't a club out there that would give us our money back for Pogba though, so he'll stay and fester.

Sanchez is apparently going to stay at Inter on a free too, getting the last year of his wages off the books is almost like getting a $20 million fee, so I'll take that.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:30 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I’m stuck in Groundhog Day on takeover talk. Still....
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:41 pm
Mask wearer

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Sanchez is apparently going to stay at Inter on a free too, getting the last year of his wages off the books is almost like getting a $20 million fee, so I'll take that.
Alexis Sanchez's Manchester United exit: Where did it all go wrong?
Old Aug 5th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
I’m stuck in Groundhog Day on takeover talk. Still....
i THOUGHT THE SAYING IS tALKINGS GOOD for you.Way hay away the lads.I looked at the newcastle squad to see if saints could nip in with a cheeky offer for some one but on second thoughts you'd best keep them.They need to get sorted quick and buy for next year or it could be a hard season for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.