Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Aug 7th 2019, 10:16 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

I don't see why Dybala would want to come to Spurs anymore than he did United. CL football is the only difference.

Plus that fee to the agent and his image rights? Not to mention the fact that I'm struggling to think of an Argentine that actually did well in the PL other than Tevez. Uniteds experience with Argentines is not exactly stellar (Di Maria, Tevez, Veron) so I'm glad we didn't pursue it.

Spurs wage structure has sure taken a hammering this transfer window hasn't it? $300k for Dybala (potentially) then the new deal to keep Kane happy, plus whatever percentage of Coutinho they would have to pay. Damn.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I don't see why Dybala would want to come to Spurs anymore than he did United. CL football is the only difference.

Plus that fee to the agent and his image rights? Not to mention the fact that I'm struggling to think of an Argentine that actually did well in the PL other than Tevez. Uniteds experience with Argentines is not exactly stellar (Di Maria, Tevez, Veron) so I'm glad we didn't pursue it.

Spurs wage structure has sure taken a hammering this transfer window hasn't it? $300k for Dybala (potentially) then the new deal to keep Kane happy, plus whatever percentage of Coutinho they would have to pay. Damn.
My thoughts on the matter, not a fan of either club;

Dybala might not want to move to the frozen North, surrounded by whippets and people he doesn't understand. London's a very, very attractive proposition for a lot of international players.
United don't have Champions League football
United don't have a big name, successful and proven manager with the full backing of the club and board. Ole is adorable in that dugout but he's not going to last the season in most people's eyes.
United don't even have an actual chairman or someone capable of running the club back into a positive trajectory towards the top of the table. £80m on Maguire?
Spuds have Champions League football and if you buy into their short/medium term aims they're building a squad to challenge (snigger, it's hard to type that with a straight face but if you believe it, they are).
Spuds also have a manager who's about the hottest property in football and due to move to a big club soon.
That same manager is also a fellow Argie bargie. That's a big draw I imagine to be working under a fellow Falkland War loser.

Old Aug 7th 2019, 10:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
.....United don't have a big name, successful and proven manager with the full backing of the club and board....
Spuds also have a manager who's about the hottest property in football and due to move to a big club soon.....
Arguably Spurs don't have that successful backed by the board manager either.
He's not won anything. He may have the support of the owner/board but only in so far as he accepts budget players. And not too long ago the most likely club to have acquired his services was actually an on-the-ropes ManU.

For all the Real Madrid talk, they turned to the guy who walked out on them instead.

Old Aug 7th 2019, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
He's not won anything. He may have the support of the owner/board but only in so far as he accepts budget players. And not too long ago the most likely club to have acquired his services was actually an on-the-ropes ManU.

For all the Real Madrid talk, they turned to the guy who walked out on them instead.
When you combine the fact he's a coach who doesn't get to sign people and they didn't sign anyone for 18 months, don't have a monster squad or a strong second string like City I think you could argue he's done a bloody impressive job.
He also got them to a CL final and finished 3rd behind two of the best sides the PL era has ever seen.

OR....he goes to United where the manager is going to get sacked soon (he's the bookies favourites whilst Poch is behind Pep and Klopp as 3rd leas favourite). Who's current premier league record includes finishing 20th and getting relegated and a win ratio worse than Pochettino's despite being at the 'bigger' club and playing only 10% of the games.

I'm not trying to be hard on Ole, I think he's a very decent manager potentially but the 3 year deal idea was atrocious.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 11:24 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Good players and good managers don’t want to go to United like they used too.

The media will always run click bait articles linking people with Old Trafford to drive revenue out of their “fans”- but the rest of us just laugh. United will struggle to stay in the Top 6 this year and they’ll never win the league again as long as the club is owned by the Glazers.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 11:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
When you combine the fact he's a coach who doesn't get to sign people and they didn't sign anyone for 18 months, don't have a monster squad or a strong second string like City I think you could argue he's done a bloody impressive job.
Absolutely. I'm a big fan. I particularly like the way he gives youth a chance - including at Southampton too - and the England team has a lot to be grateful for. If only other managers would do the same.
He also got them to a CL final and finished 3rd behind two of the best sides the PL era has ever seen.
Unfortunately, in today's world where everything has to be done right now or yesterday that's not seen as success.
I'm not trying to be hard on Ole, I think he's a very decent manager potentially but the 3 year deal idea was atrocious.
Following the too long contract for Moyes, the needless and bad timing extension to Mourinho's contract, yes there was no need to have done any of it.

Potty.

Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely. I'm a big fan. I particularly like the way he gives youth a chance - including at Southampton too - and the England team has a lot to be grateful for. If only other managers would do the same.

Unfortunately, in today's world where everything has to be done right now or yesterday that's not seen as success.

Following the too long contract for Moyes, the needless and bad timing extension to Mourinho's contract, yes there was no need to have done any of it.

Potty.
Agree, I was gutted when he left. He really deserves a lot of credit for how he helped us transform as a club and some of the players he put faith in owe him a great debt.
True - the demands are impossible to meet.
Ole deserved the job and a shot at it to the end of the year or maybe the end of the calendar year so he got to start the new season. I just don't get giving him a 3 year deal. We did the same with Mark Hughes - total waste of money.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

plus whatever percentage of Coutinho they would have to pay. Damn.
I think he was touted to Arsenal for a season-long long for £27 million.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 3:58 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Prediction time:
Top 6:City, Liverpool, Spurs,Everton,United,Arsenal
Relegated: Newcastle, Norwich, Brighton
Where will your team finish: Maybe 2nd
First Manager to be sacked: Lampard (No way Newcastle will sack a manager, they keep any one who is prepared to sell players and not buy anyone)
Top scorer: Salah, been top for the last 2 seasons so no reason why he can't do it again
Signing of the summer:Wan Bissaka. It's more about the upgrade to the existing team than the player quality and he's a significant upgrade.
Biggest flop: Harry McGuire, I don't think he's much of an upgrade at all.
Most number of swears in a single Scamp post:36
Biggest controversy: Someone discovering where Juventus are getting all their money from, there's absolutely no way they can afford all the wages they're paying legitimately, there's got to be something fishy going on.

Old Aug 7th 2019, 4:04 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I see Eriksen prefers Spain to Manchester. I don't blame him the weather is much better in Spain.

Also, what's more mental: Everton wanting Mike Smalling or Man Utd turning them down?

Last edited by zargof; Aug 7th 2019 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 7:52 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to think of an Argentine that actually did well in the PL other than Tevez..
I offer Auguerooooooo, Zabaleta and Otamendi to name 3, Ardiles and Villa did OK, Tevez (as you say) and Macherano, Lamela is decent.....

That help?
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I actually forgot Aguero and I'll give you that one, the rest I don't have much stock in.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:27 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I actually forgot Aguero and I'll give you that one, the rest I don't have much stock in.
well Otamendi was voted in the 2018 team of the year by his fellow pros...... that seems to be doing well?
Zabaleta won all of English football's major honours: the FA Cup (2011), the Premier League (2012 and 2014), and the League Cup (2014 and 2016).
Ossie Ardiles won the UEFA cup and FA cup with Spurs...

I agree that the likes of Di Maria and Veron failed badly btw
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:44 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
well Otamendi was voted in the 2018 team of the year by his fellow pros...... that seems to be doing well?
Zabaleta won all of English football's major honours: the FA Cup (2011), the Premier League (2012 and 2014), and the League Cup (2014 and 2016).
Yeah but Nasri won the Premier League twice as well, plus he was in the team of the year.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:52 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Yeah but Nasri won the Premier League twice as well, plus he was in the team of the year.
OMG was he, presume he was still at Arse at the time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.