Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
The proposal was only 3 subs could be made during the actual playing time, with the remaining 2 able during the interval. So no net change in slowing play down. If you’re playing every 3-4 days I would rather have a higher quality set of games. World cups have that kind of pace, and they can become very attritional.
If that was, indeed, the way it went and was only temporary, it wouldn't be so bad.
I don't think it would be. managers/coaches have wanted increased subs for years. This would give it to them in a thin end of the wedge way.

They'd want to amend the proposal- after all, why just half time - and then want to keep it.

But my time wasting thing was just a throwaway comment. I've had earlier posts here explaining why I feel that excessive number of subs allowed - first of all on the bench and then for 3 outfield players - is what has allowed the wealthy clubs to hoard so many top players

There were always richer clubs but when only one or two subs were allowed, even the wealthiest club could not buy up so much talent and keep them happy with appearances off the bench or league cup ties against Exeter.
But that's old ground again. Repeated stoppages for two subs in the last two minutes from the team happy with the outcome was just a minor part of the bigger picture.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Robinson, former Liverpool and Brighton striker, dies aged 61
Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:31 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
If we can't agree on this, I think the easiest thing to do is cancel the season and restart it as was in August last year.

No title, no relegation, no nothing. Just restart the whole thing and do it again. It's the only way.
It seems the most obvious thing...but then we come back to the European tournaments.
Do we try to complete those? If we don't, then how does the CL and EL look next season...a re-run of what was started? Or just finish off and run a season behind or do we attribute places according to how they "finished" in the unfinished season? Or finish and run the new one in the same domestic season.

If the season is rushed to completion it doesn't even count anyway...
I'm actually wondering if there's a big element - even among diehard Liverpool fans - of the season being completed and it not feeling like a league title anyway. It's going to seem like a huge anti-climax isn't it?
Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:44 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised how few games (30) he played for Liverpool. Plenty who have played more that I hardly remember.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It seems the most obvious thing...but then we come back to the European tournaments.
Do we try to complete those? If we don't, then how does the CL and EL look next season...a re-run of what was started? Or just finish off and run a season behind or do we attribute places according to how they "finished" in the unfinished season? Or finish and run the new one in the same domestic season.

I'm actually wondering if there's a big element - even among diehard Liverpool fans - of the season being completed and it not feeling like a league title anyway. It's going to seem like a huge anti-climax isn't it?
I think the whole thing, just reset the lot and start again. 2019/20 season will be a gap, like the gaps in the world war era or the Ryder Cup in 2011 (I think).
Old Apr 28th 2020, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think the whole thing, just reset the lot and start again. 2019/20 season will be a gap, like the gaps in the world war era or the Ryder Cup in 2011 (I think).

I know its easy for me to say this as my club were probably not going to win anything although still in contention for a top 4 finish and the Europa league. Had the pandemic not hit then chances are the dippers would have won the EPL. Now sitting here with my tin foil hat on WHAT IF say the season is restarted and they lost all of their remaining games and Citeh won it would the scousers be OK with that or be blaming UEFA, the FA and anyone else they could think of that they had all conspired to stop them winning it?
Too many what ifs ands or buts but hey a decision will be made and we either agree or disagree but in the big scheme of things does it really matter?
Old Apr 28th 2020, 12:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool fans, like everyone else, want players and staff from all clubs to be safe. Nothing's more important than that.

But if the season is completed and if Liverpool win the title, then it won't be anything like an anti-climax, it'll be bloody fantastic and we'll all have a huge party (even if it is at home on our jacks). And if another team wins the title, I'm sure it won't be an anti-climax for them either and they'll be partying as well.

All players will have lost some match fitness, but they'll all be in the same boat. The hiatus may even be beneficial to some, in that players who were injured when the season halted have had additional recovery time.

Whether or not the season resumes is up to the decision makers now, the clubs, the government, public health officials and the medical advisors of the cross-sport working group.

Old Apr 28th 2020, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post

I know its easy for me to say this as my club were probably not going to win anything although still in contention for a top 4 finish and the Europa league. Had the pandemic not hit then chances are the dippers would have won the EPL. Now sitting here with my tin foil hat on WHAT IF say the season is restarted and they lost all of their remaining games and Citeh won it would the scousers be OK with that or be blaming UEFA, the FA and anyone else they could think of that they had all conspired to stop them winning it?
Too many what ifs ands or buts but hey a decision will be made and we either agree or disagree but in the big scheme of things does it really matter?
No, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and it would be good to see some Liverpool fans agree that sacrificing a league title for them is no great loss considering what the world is going through at the moment.

Old Apr 28th 2020, 1:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and it would be good to see some Liverpool fans agree that sacrificing a league title for them is no great loss considering what the world is going through at the moment.
As much as you'd love to think that 'Liverpool fans' don't care about hundreds of thousands of people dying, and their only concern is winning a football title, you're wrong. Not only are you wrong, you're way out of line. Pull your ****ing head in.

Old Apr 28th 2020, 2:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
But if the season is completed and if Liverpool win the title, then it won't be anything like an anti-climax, it'll be bloody fantastic and we'll all have a huge party (even if it is at home on our jacks). And if another team wins the title, I'm sure it won't be an anti-climax for them either and they'll be partying as well.
If another team won it would be such a huge shock that fans would likely overdo the celebration.

I'm just thinking that if they said "let's play enough games for Liverpool to get the necessary points" it would feel a little contrived to make a difficult decision less difficult. At this stage, the only way I can see the season being completed is by just playing on until it's done and then adjusting timetables for subsequent seasons. And if that's the way it goes, that might seem contrived as well.

I'm not a real Liverpool fan in that they're my "only team" (and obviously they're not local to me) and I might be a weirdo that ManU and Liverpool are my two favourite club teams. But I'm pretty close, mainly due to their European achievements of the 70s/80s and back again in 2005. And it's ManU's record in Europe in more recent times (as well as 68) that attracted me to them too.
I like my "English clubs in Europe" football. It's always been my priority (from never having had my original team Bristol Rovers in the top level) so it's natural to me to like the teams who excel at it.

And I was really looking forward to seeing Liverpool as League Champions again. For me, there would be a bit of anti climax. Maybe that's the difference between being a real fan. Maybe there's an element, too, of Man City being able to say they didn't lose it.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 3:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

French league to call it a day
No decision yet on outcomes (champion/promotion)
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52460468
Old Apr 28th 2020, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Liverpool fans, like everyone else, want players and staff from all clubs to be safe. Nothing's more important than that.

All players will have lost some match fitness, but they'll all be in the same boat. The hiatus may even be beneficial to some, in that players who were injured when the season halted have had additional recovery time.

Whether or not the season resumes is up to the decision makers now, the clubs, the government, public health officials and the medical advisors of the cross-sport working group.
And given that at least 4 seperate leagues within European football have now declared their seasons finished, I can see the DCMS pushing for an end in the UK.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
French league to call it a day
No decision yet on outcomes (champion/promotion)
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52460468
It's only a matter of time for the PL now.....
Old Apr 28th 2020, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Pardew leaves ADO Den Haag by mutual consent....

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...mutual-consent

Den Haag were saved from relegation by the ending of the season last week. Potential Newcastle manager (again!) ?
Old Apr 28th 2020, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
And given that at least 4 seperate leagues within European football have now declared their seasons finished, I can see the DCMS pushing for an end in the UK.
It's only a matter of time for the PL now.....
On the other hand Serie A is hoping to get going again with steps in place to do so.

Maybe they could rerun
Spoiler:
Old Apr 28th 2020, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

On the other hand Serie A is hoping to get going again with steps in place to do so.

Maybe they could rerun
I loved that show, and had to look for a full episode to quench the nostalgia....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.