Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:43 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It's a reaction. What we see with City is the same as we previously saw with Barcelona. And I'm not having a go at Pep even though he was at both clubs. I can't say Bayern were the same when he was there, so I don't think it's him.

It's more so with Barca than with City who are, in this respect, Barca Lite.

It's the holier than thou thing. With Barca it starts with the old more than (just) a club. They are supposedly above all the usual negative stuff. At least that's the way portrayed by themselves.
But they are serial offenders when it comes to dodgy dealings, transfers, agent fees, underage players and the club is complicit not only in that but all the tax fraud that people - including Messi and his dad - have been convicted for. So serious Messi got a prison sentence but he was allowed to buy it off.

I'm sure City are not as bad as Barca but they still profess innocence despite agreeing to sanctions for the rules they broke and it now seems we have the explanation why they did that.

Like Chelsea, I also don't approve of signing all and sundry and loaning players left right and centre rather than giving them real chances to develop at a level commensurate with their potential talent.
Not illegal but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Their football is lovely to watch but they are not the angels portrayed. No top team ever has been total angels but no top team ever claimed it.

That should answer your question but it's just my opinion.

I'm from Bristol (there's a surprise) and I chose Rovers a long time ago, so there was never going to be a team for me in the old first div/prem so it's nothing to do with tribalism.

In different eras, I can/could get behind any team for a variety of reasons. Style of play, my heroes like Kevin Keegan, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle, Shilts etc I'm afraid I've not had anything to like about City since Marsh, Tueart and Kinkladze.

There you go...a post from the heart.
Thank you for your honest and detailed answer it helps me put your comments into perspective.

I agree with some of what you say, for me Citeh is using Barcelona's football model combined with Yernited's business model and I'm much less comfortable with the latter.

As to Financial unfair play regulations designed to protect the existing elite from emerging powers, I am all for playing them at their own games.

On the other hand I am expecting a transfer ban for signing young players, which would have stopped Fergie assembling the class of 92 btw.

I note the odious official who leaked against Citeh on the very day of our treble triumph in advance of the process being completed, which it still hasn't btw, undermined UEFA's credibility and impartiality. Still his idiocy will work in Citeh's favour in court methinks.

All that said and done, I am fortunate to be watching the best football ever played in the EPL but haven't forgotten the previous 40 years.

oh and scamp was right Le Tiss was a footballing God.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:33 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
oh and scamp was right Le Tiss was a footballing God.
Yeah and now we have a fat, shit Sterling-wannabe in Redmond for our 'star player'.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 7:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Yeah and now we have a fat, shit Sterling-wannabe in Redmond for our 'star player'.
much as I detest Sterling he is better than Redmond
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Weird, none of those are how you spell Le Tiss.
Some way short of hero status for me. A bit like Duncan McKenzie. Both terrific players but both wasted.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 9:04 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Some way short of hero status for me. A bit like Duncan McKenzie. Both terrific players but both wasted.
If we are talking heroes then one must mention Colin Bell who was by far the best player at Citeh in decades, Kinky was a bright spot in poor times, Marsh was never that great, Tueart was very good particularly with Barnes on the other wing but no one came close to Bell until Merlin signed from Valencia 9 years ago, KdB is perhaps on that level too. In the poor years Citeh fans heroes were the likes of Andy Morrison, Dunne, Gerry Gow, Big Joe Corrigan, the Goat, Asa Hartford, Hendry and Paul Power - honest pros who gave it everything but were never top notch.

Colin Bell = hero...
Old Jul 25th 2019, 9:14 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

If we are talking heroes then one must mention Colin Bell who was by far the best player at Citeh in decades, Kinky was a bright spot in poor times, Marsh was never that great, Tueart was very good particularly with Barnes on the other wing but no one came close to Bell until Merlin signed from Valencia 9 years ago, KdB is perhaps on that level too. In the poor years Citeh fans heroes were the likes of Andy Morrison, Dunne, Gerry Gow, Big Joe Corrigan, the Goat, Asa Hartford, Hendry and Paul Power - honest pros who gave it everything but were never top notch.

Colin Bell = hero...
The best footballer that Citeh ever had was Alan Ball. Shame it was when he was a manager.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 9:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
The best footballer that Citeh ever had was Alan Ball. Shame it was when he was a manager.
funny guy, was he not the manager who couldn't add up and told the players to settle for a draw in the last game so we got relegated on gaol difference?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Colin Bell = hero...
So you agree with an old Utd chant then

She la la la Summerbee who the ****ing hell is he? Even most Utd fans liked Bell unless he was playing against us.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If we are talking heroes then one must mention Colin Bell
I considered mentioning him but I didn't want to come across like I was trying to get on your good side.
...Gerry Gow...
A name that should never be repeated in front of a gashead unless you say Frankie Prince at the same time.
funny guy, was he not the manager who couldn't add up and told the players to settle for a draw in the last game so we got relegated on gaol difference?
That rings bells.

Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:37 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

If he had played himself you would probably have stayed up. Anyway, what's one more relegation?
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:09 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
If he had played himself you would probably have stayed up. Anyway, what's one more relegation?
very true there is a good reason we have won the 2nd tier more than any other club.....
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:13 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Sorry about the reference to Gow Bristol but he had no pace, no skill, no passing ability but he was a terrier who gave it everything all game. Covered every blade of grass whilst kicking lumps out of players more skillfull than him, which was pretty much everyone.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:15 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
So you agree with an old Utd chant then

She la la la Summerbee who the ****ing hell is he? Even most Utd fans liked Bell unless he was playing against us.
My favourite anti Summerbee chant was from the red Scouse who once chanted your nose is offside....

People talk about Bell, Summerbee and Lee as a trio but the other 2 weren't in Nijinski's league.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 12:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Sorry about the reference to Gow Bristol but he had no pace, no skill, no passing ability but he was a terrier who gave it everything all game. Covered every blade of grass whilst kicking lumps out of players more skillfull than him, which was pretty much everyone.
Every fan likes one of those in their team. Even the kicking opponents was "acceptable" (in a way) back then because every team had one of their own. Or, in the case of Leeds, half the team.

Old Jul 26th 2019, 12:25 pm
Oscar nominated

All these ex-City names and no mention of Neil Young

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.