Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 12:53 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

So Mike what's the deal with Delph? 9M is peanuts these days. Where does he fit on a scale of Mangala to Messi?
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 3:42 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
So Mike what's the deal with Delph? 9M is peanuts these days. Where does he fit on a scale of Mangala to Messi?
we bought him for 8 million so make a profit. Delph is a good squad player does everything ok but isn't spectacular at anything. He has a good left foot so adds balance to the team and also did well playing left back. Closer to Messi than Mangala methinks and with Rodri and Fern ahead of him in midfield and Mendy, Zinchenko and Angelino at left back he is surplus to requirements. He will workhard and not let you down.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 3:59 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
But he was actually pretty useful in attack anyway and, unlike that clown Kyle Walker, he could defend.
please don't take this the wrong way but do you ever actually watch any football?
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 4:01 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
He's certainly our most defensive right back but personally I prefer that the defenders defend and leave the attacking to the attack. I was quite disappointed when he left and we did need him really for a few weeks when Gomez and TAA were injured so I'd be happy for him to stay but looks like Palace are interested in him now.
Being a better defensive rb than TAA isn't that a bit like better at football than Phil Jones? i.e. everyone alive and kicking?

TAA is top notch going forward but defensively still learning and set pieces.........
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 4:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
please don't take this the wrong way but do you ever actually watch any football?
Yes, it's how I know he's terrible at defending...as shown in his last England match.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Yes, it's how I know he's terrible at defending...as shown in his last England match.
Ah ok so to confirm you based your comment on just the one match then?
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok so to confirm you based your comment on just the one match then?
Yes, that's right, just one match. You don't get any better do you. I should listen to the advice I get.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 8:28 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Yes, that's right, just one match. You don't get any better do you. I should listen to the advice I get.
Ah well if you'd watched the last 76 league games in which Walker's team conceded 50 goals whilst scoring over 200 and running up 198 points you might have concluded he was quite good defensively. He is not as effective going forward as Trippier or TAA but is better at the back than either.

As to advice, watch more games, comment intelligently and you'll be fine.....
Old Jul 24th 2019, 11:19 am
Oscar nominated

Ah well if you'd watched the last 76 league games in which Walker's team conceded 50 goals whilst scoring over 200 and running up 198 points you might have concluded he was quite good defensively.....
So presumably you'd say the same about players like Jones and Smalling when they played in a ManU defence conceding few goals too. Absolute top defenders right? Nope.

And the reverse when Spurs were leaking more goals than the comparable teams around them while Walker was in their defence.

This is the same silly argument that a player must be good because of the medals he's won....and then you see team mates with the same medals but realise they are lesser players so maybe, just maybe, there's more to it.

Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:20 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

This discussion about right backs is stupid. They are all shit compared to Tony Hibbert.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting pretty irritated with the lack of news coming out of Old Trafford regarding the deals for Maguire and Fernandes. We cannot start the season having only got James and Wan-Bissaka in or we should just surrender Champions League football for 2021 right now.

They are all shit compared to Tony Hibbert.
​​​​​​​Seamus Coleman was better.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

So presumably you'd say the same about players like Jones and Smalling when they played in a ManU defence conceding few goals too. Absolute top defenders right? Nope.

And the reverse when Spurs were leaking more goals than the comparable teams around them while Walker was in their defence.

This is the same silly argument that a player must be good because of the medals he's won....and then you see team mates with the same medals but realise they are lesser players so maybe, just maybe, there's more to it.
No maybe about it there's lots more to it.

You are 100 per cent correct you can hide a poor player in a dominant team. Jones is a good example as was Wes Brown but here is the thing. Since Walker arrived to replace Zabaleta Citeh has won 5 of the last 6 domestic trophies. He is picked by the best coach in the world ahead of Danilo and by the England manager ahead of Trippier. These 2 successful managers clearly don't share your irrational hatred for Walker and neither do I. The facts tend to suggest to the reasonable observer he is a decent defender...
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

No maybe about it there's lots more to it.

You are 100 per cent correct you can hide a poor player in a dominant team. Jones is a good example as was Wes Brown but here is the thing. Since Walker arrived to replace Zabaleta Citeh has won 5 of the last 6 domestic trophies. He is picked by the best coach in the world ahead of Danilo and by the England manager ahead of Trippier. These 2 successful managers clearly don't share your irrational hatred for Walker and neither do I. The facts tend to suggest to the reasonable observer he is a decent defender...
And playing alongside and behind better players at City than at Spurs obviously helps. He was a decent player in a poor team at Spurs, but City made him better.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:00 pm
Oscar nominated

...Since Walker arrived to replace Zabaleta Citeh has won 5 of the last 6 domestic trophies. ...
Which might say a lot about Zabaleta. Also ignores Kompany's role, especially since he's been available to play more often.
Then there's the presence of a certain Laporte in the same defence.

There's also the record number of goals scored in the same period in large part to dominance of possession. I wonder if opponents having so little possession might hinder their chances on attacking City's weak link.
These 2 successful managers clearly don't share your irrational hatred for Walker
I don't hate him. He's just not very good at defending. He is fast, of course, and a very useful player to have when the press is beaten and a breakaway is on for the other team.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I'm getting pretty irritated with the lack of news coming out of Old Trafford regarding the deals for Maguire and Fernandes. We cannot start the season having only got James and Wan-Bissaka in or we should just surrender Champions League football for 2021 right now.

Seamus Coleman was better.
Just be thankful none of these CL winners played for your teams.....

Oh, some did... Sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.