British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2019-2020 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2019-2020-football-thread-925647/)

Garbatellamike Jun 11th 2019 12:52 pm

The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Well transfer speculation in full flow now for next season so time for a new thread..

Summary of last year:

Citeh won the charity shield
Citeh won the league cup
Citeh were champions despite Liverpool breaking spending records in a vain attempt to buy the league
Citeh won the FA cup

Chelski won the Thursday night cup and either Spurs or Liverpool won the ECL but I can't remember who as I fell asleep during the game.

Arse won the Ladies title
Citeh won the Ladies FA cup
Citeh won the Ladies league cup

Bring on the new season.

Garbatellamike Jun 11th 2019 12:57 pm

Re: The 2019-2020 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696446)
Well transfer speculation in full flow now for next season so time for a new thread..

Summary of last year:

Citeh won the charity shield
Citeh won the league cup
Citeh were champions despite Liverpool breaking spending records in a vain attempt to buy the league
Citeh won the FA cup

Chelski won the Thursday night cup and either Spurs or Liverpool won the ECL but I can't remember who as I fell asleep during the game.

Arse won the Ladies title
Citeh won the Ladies FA cup
Citeh won the Ladies league cup

Bring on the new season.

oh and Hull City finished 13th in the Championship

Garbatellamike Jun 11th 2019 1:08 pm

So what do your team need in the transfer window?

I think citeh's priority is for a holding midfielder to take the load off and then replace Fernandinho

We also need a left back unless Mendy shakes off the injuries of the last 2 years

Other than that the squad is still the same that got 198 points in the last 2 years.

Yernited will be busy methinks needing a new GK, entire back four, couple of mf and a cf......

What about the rest?

Scamp Jun 11th 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696457)

TO SELL JACK STEPHENS AND WESLEY HOEDT

Dear baby Jesus, please make this happen. Amen.

DaveLovesDee Jun 11th 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696446)
Chelski won the Thursday night cup

For which the final was played on a Wednesday night :p

Paulo Dybala

yellowroom Jun 11th 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696451)
oh and Hull City finished 13th in the Championship

:thumbsup:

A manager, a defence, a midfield and two or three forwards - I wish this was hyperbole... On a positive note, we may be ok for keepers.

What we need is for the owners to keep their word and go - or at least invest enough for the team to have a realistic chance at survival this year. The parachute payments have run out but they are due a payout from Maguire sell on fees and potentially selling Jarrod Bowen, our current team star. Rumours are that wages capped at £5k per week this year for the team, well below Championship average.

Mr Weeze Jun 11th 2019 2:01 pm

Please sell to the sheikh please sell to the sheikh please sell to the sheikh.....

Former Lancastrian Jun 11th 2019 10:30 pm

As a Yernited fan I don't consider it as a transfer window its more like a ransom demand if you are Yernited looking to sign players. Yes admittedly we have paid over the odds for several players who didn't work out or still working it out.

Garbatellamike Jun 11th 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12696707)
As a Yernited fan I don't consider it as a transfer window its more like a ransom demand if you are Yernited looking to sign players. Yes admittedly we have paid over the odds for several players who didn't work out or still working it out.

yeah I know agents are claiming citeh are interested in all sorts of players to try and drive up the prices yernited will pay but after the Fred and Sanchez blunders you can't blame them. Citeh are apparantly only after 2 players who I suspect are Rodri and Maguire

SpoogleDrummer Jun 11th 2019 11:09 pm

Moreno has left Liverpool so we're already winning this transfer window. I don't think we'll be splashing the cash this time though as I don't think there's not many players that we can get that would strengthen the first team so we're probably looking for more squad players. I'd love De Ligt purely because good defenders are so few and far between that if a rival gets him they'll certainly be stronger, that and Gomez has had a couple of lengthy injuries already in his career, if he keeps it up we'll have to sell him to West Ham.

Former Lancastrian Jun 11th 2019 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696725)
yeah I know agents are claiming citeh are interested in all sorts of players to try and drive up the prices yernited will pay but after the Fred and Sanchez blunders you can't blame them. Citeh are apparantly only after 2 players who I suspect are Rodri and Maguire

I can't blame a club who are approached to sell a player asking for a fair amount of money but some clubs are taking the piss. One club agrees to sell us a 21 yr old winger for 15 million plus an additional 3 million in add ons. Another club turns down a 40 million offer for one of their 21 yr old players allegedly wanting another 20 million. Oh well Ed better get the gimps to open their wallets more than they want to or perhaps this alleged Saudi Prince will up his offer to buy the club for 4 billion. We can then have a battle of the Saudi Royal family and the Abu Dhabi Royal Family.

Garbatellamike Jun 11th 2019 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12696741)
I can't blame a club who are approached to sell a player asking for a fair amount of money but some clubs are taking the piss. One club agrees to sell us a 21 yr old winger for 15 million plus an additional 3 million in add ons. Another club turns down a 40 million offer for one of their 21 yr old players allegedly wanting another 20 million. Oh well Ed better get the gimps to open their wallets more than they want to or perhaps this alleged Saudi Prince will up his offer to buy the club for 4 billion. We can then have a battle of the Saudi Royal family and the Abu Dhabi Royal Family.

would you not be better off if the gimps replaced Ed with someone who understands football?

Former Lancastrian Jun 12th 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696744)
would you not be better off if the gimps replaced Ed with someone who understands football?

Well they have been talking about getting a Director Of Football for quite some time now. From all accounts Ed knows how to sweet talk sponsors but his transfer ability has been severely questioned by fans. Who is actually in charge at Utd? The current board have been slated for allowing the club to go from a position of winning multiple PL titles to a club that is no longer feared and deserves being laughed at. Still its only bloody football.

DaveLovesDee Jun 12th 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696744)

I don't think Ed is on BE much these days :p

If you want someone who seems to know their stuff, and bleeds Utd red, how about Cainess?.........

Scamp Jun 12th 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12696775)
I don't think Ed is on BE much these days :p

If you want someone who seems to know their stuff, and bleeds Utd red, how about Cainess?.........

In fairness a perfectly formed, dainty but strong, well painted and cute garden gnome would be a more effective Chief Exec than Ewar Woowar.

Garbatellamike Jun 12th 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12696813)
In fairness a perfectly formed, dainty but strong, well painted and cute garden gnome would be a more effective Chief Exec than Ewar Woowar.

:rofl: very true and Ed, as a man familiar with asset stripping and leveraged buy outs who knows nothing about football, has apparantly decided to appoint himself director of football and transfer guru.

I'm almost feeling sorry for the yernited fans..... almost

Garbatellamike Jun 12th 2019 9:53 pm

Looks like Real Madrid are going all out to break Liverpool's transfer spending record.

344 million spent already...

Former Lancastrian Jun 12th 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12696980)
:rofl: very true and Ed, as a man familiar with asset stripping and leveraged buy outs who knows nothing about football, has apparantly decided to appoint himself director of football and transfer guru.

I'm almost feeling sorry for the yernited fans..... almost

We don't need or want any of your crocodile tears as we are shedding enough real tears of our own.Well we have signed one player so onwards and upwards.

Garbatellamike Jun 12th 2019 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12697253)
We don't need or want any of your crocodile tears as we are shedding enough real tears of our own.Well we have signed one player so onwards and upwards.

yeah saw that you signed another fast forward player to compete with Rashford, Martial, Lingaard, Sanchez et al. This looks like reinforcing an area you are strong in without addressing the area you are deficient, no?

Former Lancastrian Jun 13th 2019 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12697261)
yeah saw that you signed another fast forward player to compete with Rashford, Martial, Lingaard, Sanchez et al. This looks like reinforcing an area you are strong in without addressing the area you are deficient, no?

I think perhaps the idea is to have these players with the ball and not concede possession therefore the need for a good right back and strong central defender(s) is no longer important. By them having the ball also reduces the risk of Phil Jones injuring himself or Smalling having the need to physically grab and check the fabric out on the opposing players shirt. Why splash out gobs of money on defenders if we aren't going to need them?

SpoogleDrummer Jun 13th 2019 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12697305)
I think perhaps the idea is to have these players with the ball and not concede possession therefore the need for a good right back and strong central defender(s) is no longer important. By them having the ball also reduces the risk of Phil Jones injuring himself or Smalling having the need to physically grab and check the fabric out on the opposing players shirt. Why splash out gobs of money on defenders if we aren't going to need them?

Don't worry, we've named a price for Lovren, 25M apparently. Seems quite reasonable for the best defender in the world. You should be biting our arm off.

Scamp Jun 13th 2019 6:30 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12697366)
Don't worry, we've named a price for Lovren, 25M apparently. Seems quite reasonable for the best defender in the world. You should be biting our arm off.

Spoogle, you owe me an apology. I just snorted with laughter and because I have a sort of cold at the moment I snorted pure green nose phlegm onto this lovely notepad. Top of a right hand page as well, really annoying.

I'm happy to start the bidding at 14 dirhams (it's all the coins on my desk) to NOT have Lovren back at Saints ever again.

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12697305)

well at least there is method in the madness ;)

I'm with Keane on the other hand, start by buying a back 4

DaveLovesDee Jun 13th 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12697504)
well at least there is method in the madness ;)

I'm with Keane on the other hand, start by buying a back 4

Keane should stick to music........ :p

DaveLovesDee Jun 13th 2019 2:57 pm

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the PL fixtures released this morning.....

First games
Liverpool home to Norwich (Fri night)
Man City away at West Ham (1230 Sat)
Arsenal away at Newcastle (1400 Sun)
Man Utd home to Chelsea (1630 Sun).

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12697533)
Keane should stick to music........ :p

It's a rock band according to google, learnt something today

SpoogleDrummer Jun 13th 2019 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12697395)
Spoogle, you owe me an apology.

You sold us Lovren in the first place so I think it's you that owes me the apology.

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12697664)
You sold us Lovren in the first place so I think it's you that owes me the apology.

fair point that

civilservant Jun 13th 2019 5:28 pm

United could always agree to pay De Ligt the going rate (what are his offers up to now, $1,000,000 a week?)

I really don't mind writing off the next couple of seasons at Old Trafford, we need to go back to youth and build from there. Ole has seriously lost my confidence and if we don't start well, he'll be in danger legend or not.

Oh and please Inter, please, take Lukaku off our hands. You can have Sanchez and Pogba too in a job lot if you like, $150m.

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12697704)
United could always agree to pay De Ligt the going rate (what are his offers up to now, $1,000,000 a week?)

I really don't mind writing off the next couple of seasons at Old Trafford, we need to go back to youth and build from there. Ole has seriously lost my confidence and if we don't start well, he'll be in danger legend or not.

Oh and please Inter, please, take Lukaku off our hands. You can have Sanchez and Pogba too in a job lot if you like, $150m.

well you certainly need younger full backs but the average age pf your squad is about the same as Citeh and the scousers.

Going back to your long lamented youth policy will be exceedingly difficult methinks. Chelski have been transfer banned, Citeh are about to get banned, Barcelona have been banned for having a youth policy in the same way Fergie did for the class of 92 when it wasn't against the rules.

You are right on OGS he'll have to start well but needs to be backed in transfers

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 6:17 pm

good article here on squad ages

https://www.90min.com/posts/6143994-...ue-this-season

yernited's a bit older than one thought....

civilservant Jun 13th 2019 6:20 pm

well you certainly need younger full backs but the average age pf your squad is about the same as Citeh and the scousers.
It just feels like an old squad to me. Perhaps because so many Fergie signing are still hanging around the squad even though they aren't good enough (I'm looking at you Young, Jones and Smalling) It also feels like a very thin squad, which is not a United thing.

The heady days of being able to put out 2 squads that would have been competitive in the PL was not so long ago.

Of course the youth transfer policy would be enormously expensive now (again, De Ligt) but I think we have to try to have any hope of competing. We can't simply can't pay as much money as City (or pay it for players we shouldn't) and are now struggling to attract the best talent because of it and the downward spiral.

I really dislike Maureen, but what he did with essentially this squad finishing 2nd was pretty miraculous.

Cainess Jun 13th 2019 6:33 pm

Frig, I leave again for a few weeks, and come back to find you all STILL talking about United... we haven't been relevant for at least 2 years now.

Absolutely fine with the fixture list. If our lot can't raise themselves to play Chelsea at home on the opening Sunday, the season will be defined after a single game, and we can "ready ourselves" for the shit-show that follows.

Wolves will have played two or three Europa League qualifying games before they go to Leicester City on the opening day, and then have to host us the following week...that can either work 'for' them (much closer to full match fitness) or 'against' them (as happened to Burnley last season, when they showed relegation form until mid-November due to having to expend themselves in Europe so early...).

With the fixtures, they are what they are. Early December looks tricky, but I'm not bothered. By then we'll know if we have anything (top 4 at best) to play for or not.

As with last year, it's a 'race' for 3rd behind the scousers and citeh. We won't even be in that race unless Woodward gets his finger out of his arse and backs the manager. A promising kid from the Championship isn't about to turn things around...polishing a turd.

Oh, by the way: I hate football. That's unlikely to change anytime soon...this feels like summer 1973 (which thankfully I was too young to 'appreciate' like older United fans).

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12697741)
It just feels like an old squad to me. Perhaps because so many Fergie signing are still hanging around the squad even though they aren't good enough (I'm looking at you Young, Jones and Smalling) It also feels like a very thin squad, which is not a United thing.

The heady days of being able to put out 2 squads that would have been competitive in the PL was not so long ago.

Of course the youth transfer policy would be enormously expensive now (again, De Ligt) but I think we have to try to have any hope of competing. We can't simply can't pay as much money as City (or pay it for players we shouldn't) and are now struggling to attract the best talent because of it and the downward spiral.

I really dislike Maureen, but what he did with essentially this squad finishing 2nd was pretty miraculous.

agree with you on Young, Jones and Smalling but have to point out you out bid Citeh for Pogba, Fred and Sanchez (thank god) so don't buy the can't afford it nonsense. Liverpool spent the most money ever in a calendar year, Yernited has the biggest wage bill and the most expensive player and a huge commercial arm. Citeh has bought better players but baulkwd at paying Sanchez 500 thousand a week, which was ok with Ed.....

You'll have to spend but more intelligently than in the past 5 years methinks

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12697748)
Frig, I leave again for a few weeks, and come back to find you all STILL talking about United... we haven't been relevant for at least 6 years now.

FIFY ;)

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12697748)
Frig, I leave again for a few weeks, and come back to find you all STILL talking about United... we haven't been relevant for at least 2 years now.

Absolutely fine with the fixture list. If our lot can't raise themselves to play Chelsea at home on the opening Sunday, the season will be defined after a single game, and we can "ready ourselves" for the shit-show that follows.

Wolves will have played two or three Europa League qualifying games before they go to Leicester City on the opening day, and then have to host us the following week...that can either work 'for' them (much closer to full match fitness) or 'against' them (as happened to Burnley last season, when they showed relegation form until mid-November due to having to expend themselves in Europe so early...).

With the fixtures, they are what they are. Early December looks tricky, but I'm not bothered. By then we'll know if we have anything (top 4 at best) to play for or not.

As with last year, it's a 'race' for 3rd behind the scousers and citeh. We won't even be in that race unless Woodward gets his finger out of his arse and backs the manager. A promising kid from the Championship isn't about to turn things around...polishing a turd.

Oh, by the way: I hate football. That's unlikely to change anytime soon...this feels like summer 1973 (which thankfully I was too young to 'appreciate' like older United fans).

Yeah the fixtures don't matter as you still have to play everyone home and away at some point. I got bollocked for talking about Citeh so am now teasing yernited fans and throwing barbs at scousers, which seems more acceptable ;)

civilservant Jun 13th 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12697750)
agree with you on Young, Jones and Smalling but have to point out you out bid Citeh for Pogba, Fred and Sanchez (thank god) so don't buy the can't afford it nonsense. Liverpool spent the most money ever in a calendar year, Yernited has the biggest wage bill and the most expensive player and a huge commercial arm. Citeh has bought better players but baulkwd at paying Sanchez 500 thousand a week, which was ok with Ed.....

You'll have to spend but more intelligently than in the past 5 years methinks

Oh I don't disagree, we have spunked money on useless tosh. We just need to spend it on tosh with potential rather than the 'finished article' that downs tooks after a bad couple of months.

Being linked with Dybala just make me cringe. We buy him he'll be gone in a year just like all the big names we have brought it. Di Maria, Pogba, Falcao. Signed at great expense and played like they spent the year on the beach.

Sad but true!

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12697756)
Oh I don't disagree, we have spunked money on useless tosh. We just need to spend it on tosh with potential rather than the 'finished article' that downs tooks after a bad couple of months.

Being linked with Dybala just make me cringe. We buy him he'll be gone in a year just like all the big names we have brought it. Di Maria, Pogba, Falcao. Signed at great expense and played like they spent the year on the beach.

yes this is a discussion that Rodders and I had a few years back on here about buy to develop players rather than Maureen's buy 30 year olds for one or two seasons and then buy another. One suspects this youngster from Swansea is buy to develop.

Cainess Jun 13th 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12697769)
yes this is a discussion that Rodders and I had a few years back on here about buy to develop players rather than Maureen's buy 30 year olds for one or two seasons and then buy another. One suspects this youngster from Swansea is buy to develop.

Danny James may be 'buy to develop', but if they don't back Ole for the rest of this window, just who exactly will be developing James, since they'll probably sack Ole after we bomb our way through the August & September fixtures...?!

Frankly, unless we get another 3 or 4 quality players in (CB absolute priority, as is an actual RB instead of Ashley bloody Young...), we may as well concede top 6 before the season begins...not a chance. Throw in losing Lukaku to Inter Milan (definitely happening) and Pogba to Juventus (looking likely too), and we're threadbare in terms of quality...

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12697772)
Danny James may be 'buy to develop', but if they don't back Ole for the rest of this window, just who exactly will be developing James, since they'll probably sack Ole after we bomb our way through the August & September fixtures...?!

Frankly, unless we get another 3 or 4 quality players in (CB absolute priority, as is an actual RB instead of Ashley bloody Young...), we may as well concede top 6 before the season begins...not a chance. Throw in losing Lukaku to Inter Milan (definitely happening) and Pogba to Juventus (looking likely too), and we're threadbare in terms of quality...

yeah agree all that and the first priority must be a right back as Ashley Young was a fine attacking mf player but is probably the worst full back to play in the EPL, priority 2 is a commanding centre back methinks in the Vidic\Vinnie style or even VVD but Ed will probably buy Lovren instead or you can have Mangala for 6 pence?