Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2018-2019 Football Thread

The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Old Apr 14th 2019, 10:06 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
We're pretty much safe now, thanks to the Alpine Klopp.

Not yet my dear, there's still time to steal me. In fact, it's not for flippin' ages we marry but that's by the by.

Managed to get tickets to the Liverpool game, was a fantastic atmosphere thanks to the home fans who - weirdly - were loud throughout when normally we're pretty quiet. Liverpool fans were atrocious and managed to set the record for the most ambulances used at a Premier League game (according my Sister who volunteers for St Johns). It even included punching and stamping on a lady Saints fan from some Liverpool fans in the home section. Lovely people.

Anyway, enough about that selection of scum, the rest of the fans from Liverpool were silent for a lot of the game but the last 10 mins when winning, they were pretty incredible. That allez allez allez song was awesome to hear and see live and even though it was Liverpool it was still great to see a team and fans celebrate an important win.

Moving on to yesterday, think we survived thanks to those 3 points. We were battered by Wolves but held firm. Probably lucky they were deflated and tired from FA Cup exploits perhaps but still, great result and they're the kind of team we want to be competing with in the future.

Arise Saint Hassenhuttl.
I will be buying my hat soon so let me know when the nuptials are.

BTW side issue, trying to get some flights to Dubai for late October, cheapest is about £550 return from LHR, do you think I'll get anything cheaper?
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:40 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post

BTW side issue, trying to get some flights to Dubai for late October, cheapest is about £550 return from LHR, do you think I'll get anything cheaper?
Yes. Normally closer to £400 but that price isn't too bad.

I always fly LHR and generally pay that (and yes my flights are booked LHR-DXB-LHR).
HOWEVER, my Mummy always gets deals for about 380-420 it seems, with Emirates (who are light years ahead of the competition). Virgin have just stopped or are about to stop flying here. Royal Brunei are cheap but dry. BA are generally shite, Emirates the safest bet for sure.
Etihad to Abu Dhabi isn't an atrocious idea but it's then an hour or so to Dubai (depending where and what time).

PM me your dates and I'll have a butchers if you like.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

5-4 win yesterday, away, my Brother went and seems a good time was had by all.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 4:50 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I always fly LHR and generally pay that (and yes my flights are booked LHR-DXB-LHR).
HOWEVER, my Mummy always gets deals for about 380-420 it seems, with Emirates (who are light years ahead of the competition). Virgin have just stopped or are about to stop flying here. Royal Brunei are cheap but dry. BA are generally shite, Emirates the safest bet for sure.
Etihad to Abu Dhabi isn't an atrocious idea but it's then an hour or so to Dubai (depending where and what time).

Skyscanner has flights around £300 rtn through Etihad most of Oct-early Nov.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind a cheeky stop in Amsterdam KLM are always good for a bargain from the UK. I also rate them as a carrier too. Very friendly staff and decent planes. Also, they don't charge any extra if you fancy a longer stop over for a smoke and a pancake in Amsterdam. Refrain from bringing anything onwardss to DXB though, as the Po Po's have a poor sense of humour.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 6:23 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

BTW did anyone note that Citeh took the goal tally to 151 for the season becoming only the 2nd English team to break 150 and the all time record of 156 is under threat......

Their inefficiency is in danger of reaching new heights
Old Apr 16th 2019, 5:09 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers love will send a PM

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Skyscanner has flights around £300 rtn through Etihad most of Oct-early Nov.
Had a look, going half term week so still around 550 on Skyscanner, cheers anyway.

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
If you don't mind a cheeky stop in Amsterdam KLM are always good for a bargain from the UK. I also rate them as a carrier too. Very friendly staff and decent planes. Also, they don't charge any extra if you fancy a longer stop over for a smoke and a pancake in Amsterdam. Refrain from bringing anything onwardss to DXB though, as the Po Po's have a poor sense of humour.
Yes, there was an article on brekkie telly here yesterday, about a British woman who was detained in Dubai and facing a possible 2 year prison sentence for posting something on facebook 3 years ago saying her ex husband's new wife looked like a horse. The British authorities had to get involved and everything. What the hell is that all about? I'm scared to go now!
Old Apr 16th 2019, 5:48 pm
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look, going half term week so still around 550 on Skyscanner, cheers anyway.
If you fly Gulf Air with a stop in Bahrain, it's £306 per adult.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 8:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

United are going to get beaten by a cricket score performing like this.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 9:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ronaldo and Juventus crashing out too!
Old Apr 16th 2019, 9:52 pm
Jigsaw

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
United are going to get beaten by a cricket score performing like this.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 10:20 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seeing people say how brilliant Messi was today, I thought it was just United being shit. I'm more concerned that with them defending like that there isn't a cat in Hell's chance of them taking points off City. Pogba just took up space, he looked like Bambi on ice when he tried to tackle someone and did absolutely nothing in attack so what was the point in him?

If we beat Porto then Barca may well beat us but I'm certainly seeing it as a forgone conclusion based on their performance over 2 legs.

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; Apr 17th 2019 at 12:10 am.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 11:00 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I'm seeing people say how brilliant Messi was today, I thought it was just United being shit. I'm more concerned that with them defending like that there isn't a cat in Hell's chance of them taking points off City. Pogba just took up space, he looked like Bambi on ice when he tried to tackle someone and did absolutely nothing in attack so what was the point in him?

If we beat Porto then Barca may well beat us but I'm certainly seeing it a a forgone conclusion based on their performance over 2 legs.
well some genius had Phil Jones marking Messi, that was only going to end one way.........
Old Apr 17th 2019, 12:54 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
That was a rubbish waste of time.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 12:55 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post

If we beat Porto then Barca may well beat us but I'm certainly seeing it as a forgone conclusion based on their performance over 2 legs.
I agree.

Messi's finish on the first goal was good but after that you felt Barca still had another gear to hit.

United have a quick young front 3 and the midfield is solid but that back 4 needs a lot of work.

Horrible error from De Gea but he's usually keeping them in games.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.