Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

Old Jun 13th 2016, 1:41 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
IF we can beat Ukraine, as long as we don't get a hiding from Ze Germans in the final game, 3 points and a decent goal difference might just be enough to get us into the knock-out phase... but the performance needs to be a LOT braver against the Ukrainians, a lot more risks taken in order to create chances for Kyle and Stevie Davis.... the big lad needed to shoot up a flare to let the rest know he was still up there- hardly got a decent ball all day, and when he did he tried a wonder overhead that would have been the best goal of all time if it had gone in...'desperation' doesn't even cover it!!
I get the need to be defensive but essentially playing a 5-4-1 wasn't going to work once Poland scored. They needed to switch to an attacking 3-5-2 or similar and start sending the ball upfield much more.

Still, our first major tournament in 30 years and our first ever time in the Euros, coming after winning the qualifying group. Expectations were high and I'm sure nerves were rampant.

Ukraine pushed forward plenty against Germany but they lacked a finishing touch. Counter attack needs to be the way to go in the next match, and we need to win by more than one goal.

I was disappointed with McGovern for their goal, thought he should have got a stronger hand to it and pushed it wide, but I guess he did make a good save from their young lad towards the end of the 1st half...
I couldn't help thinking Roy Carroll would have saved that one.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:57 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
If Davis was just a step quicker, that would have been a hell of an equaliser. Washington could have had one, too. We just didn't create chances going forward beyond that.

Ukraine is a must win now, then we'll just have to go balls-to-the-wall against Germany and see what happens.
According to the stats you had no attempts on target and only 2 attempts on goal - it struck me that it was a little like "stage-fright".

The good news is only 8 of the 24 teams go out in the group stage so it is still possible to qualify with one win....
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:06 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
According to the stats you had no attempts on target and only 2 attempts on goal - it struck me that it was a little like "stage-fright".

The good news is only 8 of the 24 teams go out in the group stage so it is still possible to qualify with one win....
Yeah, we gave the Poles far too much respect in the 1st half, and got caught out early in the 2nd for their goal. The formation was too defensive, and I'd imagine Michael will perhaps go with 3-5-2 in the next game, just to get Lafferty more support up top. We need to beat Ukraine to have any chance, so it's now 'last chance saloon' time, as we won't get anything from the Germans in the last game.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:13 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, definitely plenty of nerves going in. Played for the 0-0, but didn't get it and we were fighting an uphill battle once the goal went in.

Yeah, we gave the Poles far too much respect in the 1st half, and got caught out early in the 2nd for their goal. The formation was too defensive, and I'd imagine Michael will perhaps go with 3-5-2 in the next game, just to get Lafferty more support up top. We need to beat Ukraine to have any chance, so it's now 'last chance saloon' time, as we won't get anything from the Germans in the last game.
Best case scenario is a win against Ukraine and then the Germans, having beaten Poland relax a bit and we can grind out a 0-0 draw.

Honestly though, I'll be happy just with a goal, whatever else happens.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:30 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

It actually seems to be actually harder to 'not qualify' than to qualify, I'm sure England will still manage it though
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:35 pm
Brexicide Now

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
It actually seems to be actually harder to 'not qualify' than to qualify, I'm sure England will still manage it though
It's how the World Cup was in 1986 and 1990 (probably in the 70s too, but the 1982 one had a second group stage with 12 teams). It's shit that we have to tactically go for 3rd place but there's no way we'll beat Ukraine and Germany to secure 1st or 2nd.

Pretty easy to not qualify though, just lose all your games
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:20 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

What the effing hell has Fellaini done with his hair??!!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:22 pm
Brexicide Now

What the effing hell has Fellaini done with his hair??!!
What, he's managed to make it look more stupid than usual?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:27 pm
Grace and gratitude

What, he's managed to make it look more stupid than usual?
He seems to have dyed it bright ginger for some reason. Do you remember Crystal Tipps and Alistair? He looks like an Amazonian version of Crystal Tipps
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:30 pm
Brexicide Now

He seems to have dyed it bright ginger for some reason. Do you remember Crystal Tipps and Alistair? He looks like an Amazonian version of Crystal Tipps
Maybe he lost a bet?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:45 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he lost a bet?
He bet Vinnie Kompany that he would finish higher in the league.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 8:19 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Fellaini might be trying to look like Carlos Valderrama, but he certainly doesn't play like him.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:27 am
Brexicide Now

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
He bet Vinnie Kompany that he would finish higher in the league.
Savage ...

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Fellaini might be trying to look like Carlos Valderrama, but he certainly doesn't play like him.
Maybe he should style his hair after Kompany instead ...
Old Jun 14th 2016, 8:00 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! From what I have seen so far I may be getting all my ticket money back.....
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:07 am
Grace and gratitude

Yep! From what I have seen so far I may be getting all my ticket money back.....
Forza Azzurri!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.