Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:21 pm
Remainer

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Would four groups of six, or eight groups of three mitigate this issue though? Maybe, but would those groups work? Would it be better to just qualify for a 32 team knockout competition instead? That might work for the Euros, but then it eliminates the 'anything could happen' atmosphere of the first round games as well.
I'd suggest 5 groups of 5 teams each, with the top 3 going through plus the best of the 4th-placed teams.

Winner A would play 2nd-place B (Winner B plays 2nd-place C) and so on, 5 x 3rd place teams (plus the 4th-place qualifier) would play each other.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:26 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I'd suggest 5 groups of 5 teams each, with the top 3 going through plus the best of the 4th-placed teams.

Winner A would play 2nd-place B (Winner B plays 2nd-place C) and so on, 5 x 3rd place teams (plus the 4th-place qualifier) would play each other.
That could also work.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:59 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think the format worked ok...the problem isn't the format, rather the 'club manager' mentality affecting the International managers (otherwise known as 'if I can't win this game, I'm gonna make sure we don't lose it'....).

Too many sides approached games trying to make sure they didn't lose rather than going all-out to win... and you CAN'T blame the smaller nations (NI, RoI, Wales, Albania, Hungary, Iceland) for that mentality as that in many ways is their 'strength' (being 'hard to beat').

Many of the larger nations let us down by playing cautiously too. The Germans were a bore, hampered by lacking a genuine world-class striker. Austria were a disgrace, after all the pre-tournament hype about what a good team they were. Belgium proved they are NOT a team, rather a collection of talented individuals without any leader (Kompany was missed hugely) and lumbered with a poor manager. England, as usual, conspired to allow their arrogance to cost them dearly, ending up on the 'hard' side of the draw by dismissing the Slovaks as 'easy' final Group game opposition and therefore not playing their strongest team against them...and then Roy compounded that error by repeating it against Iceland (he must be the only man in Europe beyond the Kane & Sterling immediate families to think those two were worthy of starting that game....).

NI emerged with great credit, although going out to a team like Wales (who despite their heroic efforts to reach the semi-finals are not much, if any, better than we are) was ultimately extremely disappointing. I think we will all look back at that victory against Ukraine as one of the brightest moments in our history, coupled with the G.A.W.A. creating a great atmosphere and making friends wherever they went...superb.

Griezmann was probably the 'player of the tournament', though he was awful yesterday, missing several decent chances and reserving his worst performance for the Final. The likes of Koscielny, Ashley Williams, Fonte, Bonucci and Chiellini had good tournaments, but these are all defenders, and that tells it's own story...
Old Jul 11th 2016, 5:06 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

I lean towards Cainess last post.
Whether you have 8 or 32 teams in the tournament is totally irrelevant imo.
France were either too arrogant n cockey in their approach the players took, or just too tired.

The outsiders turned up, Italians suprised a few.The so called Biggies failed to produce
any fluency of even 40minutes.Plus people/fans forget, whether Euros or World cup,
we see maybe top football in 1 out of 3 or 4 tournaments, its often the fans excitement
that carry the tournaments, not the footballing skill.
IMO, modern football and its fans overhype expectations .From 1962, world cup and
Euros, from all the games played in any of the finals, how many top games did we
actually see..?? Obviously for the bias and relevant fans, there were many great
moments, and highs...and in the end , isnt that what its really all about ?? !!.
All the world leagues, dont even have that many super games, just the results
and the hype behind them...Leicester, Spurs, WHam, Soton, before end positions
were final enjoyed their seasons, Arsenal finishing 2nd hated theirs.
Iceland, Wales, the 2 Irish sides, and obviously Portugal, had great tournaments in their own opinions,
but how many great games. We and the media enjoy the hype and then every single 90 minutes, but
afterwards we love to over analyse and look too much at the negatives.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was a load of bollocks! Boring games due to boring tactics! Yawn! Roll on the EPL.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
glory glory Tottenham Hotspur.
Hoooo, get your own chant!

Also it doesn't really fit, I can't really remember Spurs having any glory....
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:09 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

BFS as the new England manager. That will be fun.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:26 pm
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Can't do any worse than the last clown.... deserves his shot at it.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:31 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Hoooo, get your own chant!

Also it doesn't really fit, I can't really remember Spurs having any glory....
You aren't as old as Pommybird to be fair, but then none of us are.

DFS would be a better choice.

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Can't do any worse than the last clown.... deserves his shot at it.
The most thankless, hopeless job in football. I hope Eddie Howe doesn't take it. He doesn't seem ready to be destroyed quite yet.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:57 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Confirmed?

Not a bad appointment. Unlikely to just be completely dominated, bent over a barrel and repeatedly arse-destroyed by the suits in the FA.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:41 am
Remainer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Confirmed?

Not a bad appointment. Unlikely to just be completely dominated, bent over a barrel and repeatedly arse-destroyed by the suits in the FA.
Not confirmed, but he appears to be the only candidate.

As for the rest of your post, that'll be different to any of the last 10 England managers?

England need to rebuild from the ground up as Germany and Wales have done.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:06 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Not confirmed, but he appears to be the only candidate.

As for the rest of your post, that'll be different to any of the last 10 England managers?

England need to rebuild from the ground up as Germany and Wales have done.
DLD, I could write essays of how much I dislike the FA. But I shan't, because I think we all think and feel it. It's so, so, so upsetting that a nation like England with huge swathes of potential is let down by the very FA that's meant to improve our ability.

Gutting. I bloody hate it.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:58 am
Remainer

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
DLD, I could write essays of how much I dislike the FA. But I shan't, because I think we all think and feel it. It's so, so, so upsetting that a nation like England with huge swathes of potential is let down by the very FA that's meant to improve our ability.

Gutting. I bloody hate it.
I agree with everything you say (and imply) re the sweet FA brigade.

Professional time-wasters, the lot of them. They may know lots about running a business, but as with any business and club football, you're nothing without a decent product, good sales people and your customers.

England doesn't have a decent product. Last-16 of major tournaments is about their level with the players, the system and the management in place. England need to start with a group of say 100 16-18 year olds and let them find the 40 or so who learn to play various formations between themselves.

Such a group will find their own level. Even pub teams learn to play to their strengths.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 10:28 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

At least BFS will call bullshit when he sees it, and I doubt would put up with egos. He strikes me as a no-nonsense guy who can't be bullied. But then so did Capello and that didn't go to plan, did it?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:14 am
Remainer

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
At least BFS will call bullshit when he sees it, and I doubt would put up with egos. He strikes me as a no-nonsense guy who can't be bullied. But then so did Capello and that didn't go to plan, did it?
I think it was the West Ham chairman, David Gold, who said BFS's best qualification for the England job was that BFS was English.

If that's the most important part of choosing future England managers, how long until Paul Tisdale gets a shot?

He's the second-longest serving current manager in the Football League. Only Arsene Wenger has lasted longer.