Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:43 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 European Championship extravaganza thread

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Nope. He's just not that good. Nor is Rose. Nor are Bertrand or Clyne at international level. None of them are even that close really.

Apart from the 30-odd shots we had, no.

****ing England fans.
Every time I looked up from my haggis a Spurs player was giving the ball away. England dominated 3 games, should have scored a barrel load of goals but were denied by bad luck and inspired defending and are unbeaten. Most would have taken that at the beginning.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:06 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Every time I looked up from my haggis a Spurs player was giving the ball away. England dominated 3 games, should have scored a barrel load of goals but were denied by bad luck and inspired defending and are unbeaten. Most would have taken that at the beginning.
Amen. It's disappointing but we're through and haven't looked awful.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:55 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was a bit disappointed prior to the match about being dished up Russia v Wales in preference to the England game. Glad they made the right choice now, though.

I'm expecting the tournament to explode into life on Wednesday evening with a veritable goalfest from Portugal followed by Ronaldo modestly disclaiming that his double hat-trick was all the work of his colleagues.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Thought Clyne was decent last night and caused them a lot of problems. Henderson on the other hand was dire, as was Wiltshire. Personally I have now idea how either of them got anywhere near the squad in the first place. The difference in the balance and drive of the team when Rooney came on was telling.

All in all England are through, not top (and so far the Taffs I know have made this perfectly evident) but through all the same. As such, I'll take it. We have played OK and have created a lot. Just need to start converting the chances.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 8:28 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Thought Clyne was decent last night and caused them a lot of problems. Henderson on the other hand was dire, as was Wiltshire. Personally I have now idea how either of them got anywhere near the squad in the first place. The difference in the balance and drive of the team when Rooney came on was telling.

All in all England are through, not top (and so far the Taffs I know have made this perfectly evident) but through all the same. As such, I'll take it. We have played OK and have created a lot. Just need to start converting the chances.
Clyne did alright, but hard to gauge when you think about how bad their left back is.

Remind the Taffs that we beat them. End of discussion.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 8:57 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Well look on the bright side if we can beat Portugal/Iceland/Hungary on penalties after a 0-0 draw then the QF game will be in Paris so easy for me to get .

The only snag is that the QF oppo is likely to be France.

I don't think I'll book a flight to Marseilles for the SF just yet......

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Jun 21st 2016 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 9:02 am
WWLLCJD?

Mike, I think we'll play France in the QFs...
Old Jun 21st 2016, 9:48 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, I think we'll play France in the QFs...
Yes that's what I meant Scamp i.e. we will be eliminated by France in the QF and therefore a flight to Marseilles for the SF would be unnecessary. Have corrected my post above accordingly.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 10:52 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Yes that's what I meant Scamp i.e. we will be eliminated by France in the QF and therefore a flight to Marseilles for the SF would be unnecessary. Have corrected my post above accordingly.
Sorry, must have misread.

Bloody French.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:35 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Sorry, must have misread.

Bloody French.
No mate was my bad - apology is from me to you.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:40 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Clyne did alright, but hard to gauge when you think about how bad their left back is.

Remind the Taffs that we beat them. End of discussion.
It's a good job you did too, otherwise Slovakia would be second and you'd be sweating on whether to qualify as one of the better 3rd place teams on zero goal difference (had we drawn) or worse (had you lost).

But yes, you beat us. And yet we still top the group.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 12:00 pm
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
It's a good job you did too, otherwise Slovakia would be second and you'd be sweating on whether to qualify as one of the better 3rd place teams on zero goal difference (had we drawn) or worse (had you lost).

But yes, you beat us. And yet we still top the group.
Wales lost to England.

By the powers of logic, Wales are not as good as England.

Box. In. Back. Your.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 1:47 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

You'd rather play France, in France that qualify first and play a lesser side?
Er, now that finishing 3rd might still see us playing Wales....I'd take that!!
I was being realistic about today's match, which, despite our brilliant showing against Ukraine, we will be lucky to get a point from, and more likely are in for a defeat. As long as we limit the Krauts to 1-0 or 2-0, I think we'll scrape in as one of the best 3rd place teams.... which will in all likelihood see us play France in Lyon....and THAT (Lyon) is a BIG plus, because it is close to the team hotel and has almost become 'Belfast in France' for us over the past few weeks. Deschamps hasn't the faintest idea what his best XI is, and if we make it through, we will frustrate the life out of them and hopefully get the home crowd on their backs....

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.... Germany in Paris. Someone should warn them that Will Grigg is on fire....
Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:19 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Er, now that finishing 3rd might still see us playing Wales....I'd take that!!
I was being realistic about today's match, which, despite our brilliant showing against Ukraine, we will be lucky to get a point from, and more likely are in for a defeat. As long as we limit the Krauts to 1-0 or 2-0, I think we'll scrape in as one of the best 3rd place teams.... which will in all likelihood see us play France in Lyon....and THAT (Lyon) is a BIG plus, because it is close to the team hotel and has almost become 'Belfast in France' for us over the past few weeks. Deschamps hasn't the faintest idea what his best XI is, and if we make it through, we will frustrate the life out of them and hopefully get the home crowd on their backs....

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.... Germany in Paris. Someone should warn them that Will Grigg is on fire....
If we do end up playing France in Lyon, that'll be on my birthday (I think, that match would be on Sunday, right?), which would be about bloody perfect . As long as we get some more pissing rain, the boys will feel at home and we can give France a few headaches.

But, as you say - we have to get past Germany today first. I still think we could nick a point off them, which should, depending on how Poland does, leave us in 3rd with almost a certainty of going through. If 4 points aren't enough I'd be surprised.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:29 pm
#GlazersOut #WoodwardOut

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
If we do end up playing France in Lyon, that'll be on my birthday (I think, that match would be on Sunday, right?), which would be about bloody perfect . As long as we get some more pissing rain, the boys will feel at home and we can give France a few headaches.

But, as you say - we have to get past Germany today first. I still think we could nick a point off them, which should, depending on how Poland does, leave us in 3rd with almost a certainty of going through. If 4 points aren't enough I'd be surprised.
Yes, Sunday in Lyon. IF bloody Roy hadn't screwed around and given Slovakia another point last night, 3 points and a decent GD would almost definitely have been enough for us, but now we'd really need a point today to be absolutely sure.... and as silly as it sounds, I have a sneeky feeling that Ukraine will give Poland a harder game than many expect....there's no love lost between those two, either....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.