Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

WPS Office 2019 - drawbacks?

WPS Office 2019 - drawbacks?

Old Apr 28th 2019, 10:50 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default WPS Office 2019 - drawbacks?

I've been using WPS 2016 free version for a couple of years.

Apparently there's a 2019 version - still free - and it's supposed to be like a browser with the Write, Spreadsheet etc parts in tabs at the top.

Any drawbacks to this? If you only want one file of any kind open does it mean that all parts are open?
I'm not currently annoyed by the advertising pop-ups - especially as the one that used to pop up every time a doc was opened or reopened no longer does that.

But if you have them all lined up in tabs for speed of accessing them, are they 'opened' in any way that might result in the pop-ups popping up a bit more?

How about the tabs? If you have 6 'Write' docs that you access occasionally are they all accessible under one Write tab or do you have a Write tab for each file you might otherwise have a shortcut for?

I've had a bit of a google but not found what I want to know yet.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WPS Office 2019 - drawbacks?

Honestly I wouldn't trust something like WPS on my PC. I'd sooner use Google Docs for free, or find a 'grey market' way to get real office. (hint: search ebay. keys can be had for as little as $2-3, at that rate if it stops working, meh, just buy another one).

Or pay for an office license outright.

As for your actual question: I think it comes down to personal preference. It sounds like the 2019 version of WPS has all the apps bundled into one program vs separate programs/executables for writer, spreadheet, presentation, etc. I would assume you can close tabs you don't want to use, similar to browser tabs. I would assume each file gets its own tab.

But that is all without actually downloading the software. I'd recommend downloading on one of your laptops (not the main one) and having a go.

Cheers
Old Apr 30th 2019, 6:05 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. How goes it?
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Honestly I wouldn't trust something like WPS on my PC. I'd sooner use Google Docs for free
I mucked around a bit with google docs and found it all a bit cumbersome. That's why when I went to W10 and my (hacked) version of Office was supposed to be incompatible (and the later versions (also hacked) wouldn't authenticate any more) I settled on WPS.
or find a 'grey market' way to get real office. (hint: search ebay. keys can be had for as little as $2-3, at that rate if it stops working, meh, just buy another one).
I never saw any as cheap as that - unless on ebay/needing paypal which has been a pain whenever I used it - but the inconveniece of it stopping doesn't seem worth it.
I'd have happily paid a one off $50 if the original email Outlook was included (you may remember ). But I'm so used to Thunderbird and WPS now, there's no point in me going back even if I was offered a genuine MS version for free. Well, maybe.

But that is all without actually downloading the software. I'd recommend downloading on one of your laptops (not the main one) and having a go.
Good point. Dunno why I didn't think of it. I always think of it as back up/spare rather than one to experiment with.

Old Jun 15th 2019, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried it and whilst I like it, I am uneasy about using a piece of Chinese software for anything confidential. I believe the chances of spyware are relatively high. I mean it's the perfect Trojan horse delivery mechanism. When I did install it I made certain it was firewalled and also I looked for any side apps that may have been installed and didn't see anything, but paranoia runs deep with me. I still like OpenOffice. And has been said, you can get an MS office key from the bay for <$10. They work and authenticate fine, er, so I'm told.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 6:41 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by TimFountain View Post
I have tried it and whilst I like it, I am uneasy about using a piece of Chinese software for anything confidential. I believe the chances of spyware are relatively high. I mean it's the perfect Trojan horse delivery mechanism. When I did install it I made certain it was firewalled and also I looked for any side apps that may have been installed and didn't see anything, but paranoia runs deep with me. I still like OpenOffice. And has been said, you can get an MS office key from the bay for <$10. They work and authenticate fine, er, so I'm told.
My favourite part with this new version is that I don't accidentally close a document I want to keep open. So often I'd quickly click the x in the top right corner closing the one I wanted closed and one I didn't. But with the tabs it's a lot easier to close what I really want closed.

I've long been checking things before installing. "ask jack" of the guardian's only complaint is the advertising but I don't even see the minimal stuff anymore.

I've seen far too many people say the keys work...and then they don't.