Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Waste of an SSD?

Waste of an SSD?

Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:10 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waste of an SSD?

I bought an old Dell Netbook about three years ago. Cutting a long story short, needs have changed and the only possible use for it is to treat it as a streaming media player, connected to a TV for no other use than streaming and playback of an MP4 from the odd thumbdrive.

I did use it to play MP4s a couple of years ago when it was W7 and HDD so I know it was okay. In an effort to improve its other performance I upgraded it to W10 and then swapped in an SSD for the original HDD.

Now it won't stream or play MP4s well. Consensus seems to be that W10 is too much of a drain on the CPU to handle streaming and MP4s.

That makes sense with 10 being so much bigger than 7, plus when I look at Task Manager I see a load of W10 related things using up to 35% of the CPU (Cortana, wsappx etc) and no sooner do I follow steps to turn off/disable/end process something else replaces the 35%.

So I shall likely scrap Windows completely and just use Linux Lite.

My question is that given there will be such minimal use (at best) is it a waste of the SSD or is it as well to stick the original HDD back in and reserve the SSD for something that might appreciate it more?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waste of an SSD?

In order to answer that, I think my first question would be, "What processor does the Dell notebook have, and especially how much Ram memory in there currently?"
If the processor is known to be not particularly powerful, i.e a low-end Celeron and with 2GB RAM memory or less, personally I'd keep the SSD to install into something with a little more 'horsepower' where it should really shine. In that case re-install the original HD in the DELL, max out the RAM if possible, and play around with Linux Light 4.0 which should be a pleasant, relaxing change after Win10.
Incidently which model Dell Notebook was it?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 1:45 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
In order to answer that, I think my first question would be, "What processor does the Dell notebook have, and especially how much Ram memory in there currently?"
If the processor is known to be not particularly powerful, i.e a low-end Celeron and with 2GB RAM memory or less, personally I'd keep the SSD to install into something with a little more 'horsepower' where it should really shine. In that case re-install the original HD in the DELL, max out the RAM if possible, and play around with Linux Light 4.0 which should be a pleasant, relaxing change after Win10.
Incidently which model Dell Notebook was it?
It's a Latitude 2110. Intel® Atom™ N470 1.83GHz. It came with 1gb RAM and I upped it to a maximum 2. At the time I got it, there was a similar one and they were both about $60CAD. The other had a slightly not as bad CPU but a max 1gb RAM and I chose this one because I could at least increase RAM to 2.

It's a nice little machine, I love the rubberised feel, the screen is really good quality and it was great for Outlook (the old one) but I use Thunderbird on my main laptop now. Surfing was okay once Firefox or Opera opened (which would sometimes just hang and I'd start again), but 10" is really just too small. Money was really tight when I bought it and it seemed like a good deal at the time.

So it seems sticking the HDD back in is best then. I've already put an SSD in my previous laptop and seen the difference that made
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

With the specs you give, that Dell Latitude should run Linux Light pretty well.
Today I downloaded that same Linux iso (Linux Lite 4.0) for the first time, and made a bootable USB stick. Using a 10 year old Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz Thinkpad with 2Gb Ram memory and running the OS from the USB stick as a live session, I was amazed at how well it runs. A very impressive OS indeed. Everything ran almost perfectly; wifi, bluetooth, keyboard screen brightness & volume control etc were immediately useable.
LibreOffice fired up in a very respectable 8secs, and it was only with a trial document and keying in, 'TestAZERTYdoc' which appeared on screen as 'TestQWERTYdoc' that I realised it hadn't mapped my keyboard correctly. Not really surprising that my key layout was not immediately recognised, as the laptop is french with AZERTY keyboard, and the downloaded iso was an English version. Not a problem, as this can be changed easily enough from within the settings menu.
Other things I really liked: the different choices of desktop menu/icon appearance, and wallpapers; the calculator has a menu giving 5 different choices including 'financial' which allows for direct currency exchange calculations.
From another USB drive I added a few mp4 videos, playback of which was immediate with VLC media player opening up automatically, playback was smooth with no frame dropping. There are loads of other apps and other features that I've not had a chance to delve into, but already this is clearly a user-friendly and extremely capable OS which appears to provide a complete set of applications for everyday needs.
I note that although it will run on a computer with specs as low as 1GHz/768MB Ram memory, and 8GB hard drive, the given preferred specs are a processor of at least 1.5GHz/1GB Ram memory, and 20GB HD/SDD.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Aug 18th 2018 at 10:23 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 11:11 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
With the specs you give, that Dell Latitude should run Linux Light pretty well.
Today I downloaded that same Linux iso (Linux Lite 4.0) for the first time, and made a bootable USB stick. Using a 10 year old Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz Thinkpad with 2Gb Ram memory and running the OS from the USB stick as a live session, I was amazed at how well it runs. A very impressive OS indeed. Everything ran almost perfectly; wifi, bluetooth, keyboard screen brightness & volume control etc were immediately useable.
LibreOffice fired up in a very respectable 8secs....
I already have my download of it ready.

I did actually try it once on the very Dell in question - just from the thumbdrive to see how it looked. Too small for comfortable use. I then dual booted it with W7 on another laptop but although it worked well, the W7 partition was deprived of the ability to access the internet I had to uninstall Linux to get it back.

But it's going to be the only thing on the Dell so no issues like that again.