Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

vpn for iplayer

vpn for iplayer

Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

marmate53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry vpn for iplayer

Anyone using a VPN to watch BBC iplayer in spain. Tried ExpressVPN and NordVPN with no results. Tried all thier servers in uk.
Would like to hear from anyone recommending a VPN with results for watching iplayer.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:39 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vpn for iplayer

From Switzerland, TotalVPN works fine for me, has done for a couple of years now.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

marmate53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.
Iv,e seen it advertised and will have a look at that one.
A bit fed up after signing up for subs that never work and keep having to try and get refund.
Will keep trying.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:26 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hoxx (add on) is free but does need a sign-up.

It works well from Canada (I assume other places) but sometimes you need to click the UK option a few times (it automatically refreshes the page) until it "connects"
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

SmartDNSProxy has worked well for me for many years.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:36 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

When the bbc started getting tough with vpn services it sorted out the amateurs and the professionals - there wass an initial period when new solutions were being thrown into place by them, but no issues at all for the smarter companies since then.

You get what you pay for... Hoxx and hola are junk - they just suck your connection and to an extent your cpu for the benefit of others. I stream at 4k resolution via vpn anywhere and its not expensive, a decent commercial vpn and dns service should be less than 40 or 50 us a year with real support and apps/agents for all possible devices, but the first rule of vpn club is - never talk about good providers in public, profile raising is not healthy for you or them.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 2:18 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
You get what you pay for... Hoxx and hola are junk
Currently watching Spiral on iPlayer via Hoxx.
they just suck your connection and to an extent your cpu for the benefit of others.
Can you explain what that means please?
Old Jan 28th 2018, 2:34 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Currently watching Spiral on iPlayer via Hoxx.

Can you explain what that means please?
The apps they use create communal or peer to peer vpn’s.

In a commercial vpn, you connect to a virtual server located in a hosting facility in one of a large number of physical locations, this requires both meaty physical server capacity and large internet connections which cost money, but are highly secure and provide defined / known performance.

Peer to peer is [or should be] free but uses your internet connection and cpu to be the [or part of the] vpn gateway for someone else. The apps usually run all of the time once installed, so even when you arent vpn’ing someone somewhere can still be using your bandwidth etc. Some also carry adware or visible adverts for their extra income, and spyware or malware is a possibility of course, EG - how it works - if you are in america and someone in the uk wants a us vpn, they can operate through your machine [and you never know it] An obvious issue with this is that if i want to appear to be in spain, but there are only 2 users in spain, i dont get decent performance. At any rate, the performance you see is dependant on other peoples connections, and while i believe split pipes can be made available its not a good safe solution. For30/40 us a year you can enjoy a perfect experience, which i think is reasonable.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 2:37 pm

Oh one small issue with peer to peer vpn, your ip address appears to be used to access someone elses browsing. Never heard of it happening but potentially if they do something dodgy, its your ip address?
Old Jan 28th 2018, 2:45 pm

Update, looks like the free hoxx [unlike hola which is far worse ] isnt peer to peer, but you are the product - they sell your browsing habits to the advertisers and limit your use - not sure if theres any guarantee of security either, they sell a paid product. Read this -

https://techwiser.com/google-chrome-vpn-extension/
Old Jan 28th 2018, 2:46 pm
A girly swot

...someone somewhere can still be using your bandwidth etc...
Okay thanks.

From what you say, this is something I'd notice should it be happening then. And if I don't notice it then it's not an issue.

One thing I do notice is the pay services that people use, barely a week goes by without people complaining about them and being without them for periods before things get back right again, or they change to another.

A number of folk also pay monthly rather than the cheaper annual rates because their experiences are such that they don't trust the annual commitment.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:08 pm

I did a quarterly pay for the 1st year but ive now had the same vpn for some years, no issues, and i use it for some of the most hotly fought ground. I also have it installed on routers, macs, ios devices, android and pc, all within the same fee...

If i do have a question, i email support who operate an 8 hour sla and who are very helpful 24/7. If you pay for a service - it better work - if your free service fails how do complaints and support work for you?

If you have a fast cpu and a great broadband why should you notice? Its just a hopefully benign virus, They take whats reasonable - hopefully - but thats not all you have to worry about - hola sells bandwidth on users machines to illegal botnets was one headline i recall.

Still, if you are happy with your vpn and can watch 4k tv globally using it, and you know they dont keep logs and dont sell your info and dont let bad people use your machine why worry?
Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:32 pm
A girly swot

...if your free service fails how do complaints and support work for you?
Well I wouldn't complain about something that was free, but in reality MediaHint (which I used until a few years ago) and Hoxx now haven't failed. The worst that happens is that sometimes I might need to refresh a page a few times before getting a successful connection because iPlayer can tell sometimes, but not others.

Still, if you are happy with your vpn and can watch 4k tv globally using it, and you know they dont keep logs and dont sell your info and dont let bad people use your machine why worry?
You appear to be assuming that because you're paying you are safe from such things. Amazon, Banks, Communication companies...they've all had issues of customers' information being stolen/hacked.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Well I wouldn't complain about something that was free, but in reality MediaHint (which I used until a few years ago) and Hoxx now haven't failed. The worst that happens is that sometimes I might need to refresh a page a few times before getting a successful connection because iPlayer can tell sometimes, but not others.

You appear to be assuming that because you're paying you are safe from such things. Amazon, Banks, Communication companies...they've all had issues of customers' information being stolen/hacked.
Believe me - there are some very secure vpn providers, security and obfuscation are their thing.

I used to be an ICT manager in the NHS, we were obsessive about security of patient data [any data breach goes to the uk prime ministers desk, one of the few ways to get sacked] . We used the same vpn provider when doing business with non uk providers - because thats their forte - if you pay - you get all of this stuff at no extra cost if you want it - among all the expected things like 256 bit blowfish fips2 encryption, no logs, encrypted at rest [on disk temporarily in transit] and in net, other offerings they do include vpn within vpn, dark net integration, trojan horse relays and rotating hosting - they support users in china for example.

We even had a physical connection to their uk data centre provider, so we could claim one of their hosts was within the gcn [government comms net.]
Old Jan 28th 2018, 4:26 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me - there are some very secure vpn providers, security and obfuscation are their thing.

I used to be an ICT manager in the NHS, we were obsessive about security of patient data [any data breach goes to the uk prime ministers desk, one of the few ways to get sacked] . We used the same vpn provider when doing business with non uk providers - because thats their forte - if you pay - you get all of this stuff at no extra cost if you want it - among all the expected things like 256 bit blowfish fips2 encryption, no logs, encrypted at rest [on disk temporarily in transit] and in net, other offerings they do include vpn within vpn, dark net integration, trojan horse relays and rotating hosting - they support users in china for example.

We even had a physical connection to their uk data centre provider, so we could claim one of their hosts was within the gcn [government comms net.]
A question if I may? Why use VPN for external connectivity at a business level - your enterprise network connecting to a third party's network?

Was that because of scale or manageability or compatibility or ???

Reason for asking is that whilst wearing one of my many hats in my previous incarnation, I developed and supported various intelligent file transfer and messaging applications from our lot to business partners via the Internet.

We used SSH/SSL, key-exchanges, no passwords in sight for the production systems connectivity to business partners, most of these held confidential data, but all were considered business critical so had to be both robust and secure. Did someone break SSH/SSL?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.