Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

USB wifi adapter - which one?

USB wifi adapter - which one?

Old Feb 17th 2019, 7:15 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default USB wifi adapter - which one?

I occasionally connect my laptop to the TV to stream champions league football - since the Canadian TV channel lost the contract to an internet broadcaster. It's a bit tiresome, unplugging and replugging and then the same moving it back but I'd rather watch the footie on 32" than 15".

Next season all the English Premier League games are going the same way. That's about 95% of the football I want to watch only on the internet, which means additional streaming. I'm aware of the various gadgets that could be used for streaming but the advantages of being able to 'play' hundreds of things I already have on other external drives and the occasional DVD mean that a computer is of more use to me. Plus I get computer use by that TV as well.

So I decided to buy something cheap but adequate that I could keep permanently connected to the TV via HDMI and I have ordered a refurbished Dell Vostro 260s slim tower for $100.4gb Ram but could go to 8. i3-2120. HD speed 7200, 250gb.

It's the best deal (in laptops or desktops) I could find (short of going to the US) but I'll need a wifi dongle.

I could connect ethernet but that would involve commandeering the main TV (unfair to others) or resiting my TV (not practical) or additional cable running up the stairs or through the ceiling etc.

Internet connection is bellaliant fibre-optic up to 150 mbps.

Do I need something like this

Or is this good enough?

Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:38 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USB wifi adapter - which one?

The cheaper one should be enough for streaming and it's a better form factor so less likely to get knocked and break. Though if you decide to copy large files to and from the computer regularly then you'll want the faster one.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 1:15 am
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USB wifi adapter - which one?

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
The cheaper one should be enough for streaming and it's a better form factor so less likely to get knocked and break. Though if you decide to copy large files to and from the computer regularly then you'll want the faster one.
Excellent, thanks.