Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

UK Broadband Internet Speeds

UK Broadband Internet Speeds

Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Broadband Internet Speeds

So I am just about to move back to the UK and will need internet access asap.

Looking at Plusnet a 60GB monthly usage allowance. As I don't download films etc, I think this should be ok. I surf the net, email, very occasionally download a song. Occasionally watch a Youtube.

So online they checked my phone line and it stated:-

Your estimated line speed is 4.0Mb. However, it could vary between 2.5Mb and 6.5Mb, depending on conditions.

So will this give me relatively fast internet? Not looking to go for fibre broadband yet. Just need something set up quite quickly but that will give decent speed. I can always change later.

Thanks in advance

Optimistic
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Broadband Internet Speeds

It's shit, but if the most you'll be doing is a bit of youtube, it'll be fine.

Won't be great for streaming a lot of HD content like Netflix though.

As to if it's any good, depends on cost and location. Virgin and BT usually have decent offers going and I know there's a few other decent options depending on where in the country but I can't remember off hand what they are.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It's shit, but if the most you'll be doing is a bit of youtube, it'll be fine.

Won't be great for streaming a lot of HD content like Netflix though.

As to if it's any good, depends on cost and location. Virgin and BT usually have decent offers going and I know there's a few other decent options depending on where in the country but I can't remember off hand what they are.
Thanks for your response Bob. As an alternative I am thinking of going with Virgin's cabled Broadband with speed of up to 30Mbs. I think my issue was my phone line so having cabled broadband will improve speed. Only thing is its more then double the cost. But hey you get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:01 pm
Waiting for my bus pass!

Andrew58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there "fibre broadband " in the area ?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew58 View Post
Is there "fibre broadband " in the area ?
There is in the area I am moving to (Birmingham). But it is quite expensive and I don't at this stage want an engineer to mess with sockets (which I understand that they will do).
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimistic Pessimist View Post
There is in the area I am moving to (Birmingham). But it is quite expensive and I don't at this stage want an engineer to mess with sockets (which I understand that they will do).
Shop around, it shouldn't be that much more expensive these days and they might offer better deals if they bundle stuff like your phone.

If you're not going to be using stuff like Netflix or up/downloading large files, it's really a waste of money though going for such a price hike.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin media cable is the best. Don't waste your time on DSL of any flavour.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadban...part=portal_P1