Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:16 pm
  #1  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 33,326
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

I've just noticed this arrow, next to the calendar symbol, top right of screen


Anyone know what it is? It is not clickable and nothing happens when you hover over it.

I have googled and found a couple of discussions about it but neither seem to make sense. There's a suggestion that it means a new update is available but if it's not clickable how does that help? In any case I took an update just a few days ago. I have no idea if it's only just appeared.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:04 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 9,709
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Doesn't exist on my Thunderbird
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 7:16 am
  #3  
No longer unlocking.
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,333
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I've just noticed this arrow, next to the calendar symbol, top right of screen


Anyone know what it is? It is not clickable and nothing happens when you hover over it.

I have googled and found a couple of discussions about it but neither seem to make sense. There's a suggestion that it means a new update is available but if it's not clickable how does that help? In any case I took an update just a few days ago. I have no idea if it's only just appeared.
I don't see that on mine (68.4.1)

Do you have any add-ons installed?
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 11:22 am
  #4  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 33,326
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I don't see that on mine (68.4.1)

Do you have any add-ons installed?
Ah ha. I never pay much attention to Thunderbird updates. With Firefox I see the invitation and I always check to see if there's anything I don't like - like that time they removed the Notes box in the properties part of each bookmark and I had to move notes I had made to avoid losing them - and then select update.
I knew I had to restart firefox to complete.

With Thunderbird I've not really paid attention but it has always seemed a complete process rather than two stages that both need me to instigate them. But I suppose it's possible that when I update firefox I get badgered to restart and maybe with thunderbird the badgering part happens much less and a restart happens from other updates allowing Thunderbird to compete its update. Maybe it seems less of a 2-part process because of that?

Anyway, your 68 4 1 was 68 3 1 for me so it seems I updated but there wasn't a restart to complete. I just restarted and the arrow has gone.

So thanks for your answer which helped clear it up.

Next time I'll pay more attention but it really seemed like one stage
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:25 pm
  #5  
No longer unlocking.
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,333
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Ah ha. I never pay much attention to Thunderbird updates. With Firefox I see the invitation and I always check to see if there's anything I don't like - like that time they removed the Notes box in the properties part of each bookmark and I had to move notes I had made to avoid losing them - and then select update.
I knew I had to restart firefox to complete.

With Thunderbird I've not really paid attention but it has always seemed a complete process rather than two stages that both need me to instigate them. But I suppose it's possible that when I update firefox I get badgered to restart and maybe with thunderbird the badgering part happens much less and a restart happens from other updates allowing Thunderbird to compete its update. Maybe it seems less of a 2-part process because of that?

Anyway, your 68 4 1 was 68 3 1 for me so it seems I updated but there wasn't a restart to complete. I just restarted and the arrow has gone.

So thanks for your answer which helped clear it up.

Next time I'll pay more attention but it really seemed like one stage
I have Thunderbird on auto-update, can't say that I've ever seen that arrow before, but I do tend to restart every couple of days, mostly to clear down Chrome processes.

Talking of updates, Windows 1909 (optional !) just stuck it's face in, so here comes another restart...
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 6:48 pm
  #6  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 33,326
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Do you have any add-ons installed?
Not that it matters now but, no, I don't have add-ons. It hadn't even occurred to me there would be any and having just looked at 'featured' ones, I'm not sure I see any point.

Suave sounds nice but what does it do?

Now if there was an add-on that allowed Thunderbird on more than one device (or TB and another similar email thingy) to operate in a way that didn't disappear the received email on both machines merely from opening it and before one has replied (among other things) I'd go for that.

Something to do with imap and the other one. I posted about it a while back when I had Outlook (the one that was part of Office) on one laptop and Thunderbird on the other. I followed the advice - or I think I did - but it didn't stop it happening. I ended up making sure to turn internet off on the old one before opening Outlook if I wanted to check something buried in the past.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 7:03 pm
  #7  
Mask wearer
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 21,044
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Now if there was an add-on that allowed Thunderbird on more than one device (or TB and another similar email thingy) to operate in a way that didn't disappear the received email on both machines merely from opening it and before one has replied (among other things) I'd go for that.

Something to do with imap and the other one. I posted about it a while back when I had Outlook (the one that was part of Office) on one laptop and Thunderbird on the other. I followed the advice - or I think I did - but it didn't stop it happening. I ended up making sure to turn internet off on the old one before opening Outlook if I wanted to check something buried in the past.

Try this; https://products.secureserver.net/em...hunderbird.htm

You'll need the 'Leave messages on server' box ticked, and the 'Until I delete them or move them from inbox' checked.



DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 9:16 pm
  #8  
No longer unlocking.
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,333
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Not that it matters now but, no, I don't have add-ons. It hadn't even occurred to me there would be any and having just looked at 'featured' ones, I'm not sure I see any point.

Suave sounds nice but what does it do?
Looks like it's just a touchy-feely skin from a very quick squint.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Now if there was an add-on that allowed Thunderbird on more than one device (or TB and another similar email thingy) to operate in a way that didn't disappear the received email on both machines merely from opening it and before one has replied (among other things) I'd go for that.
As DaveLovesDee says...
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Try this; https://products.secureserver.net/em...hunderbird.htm

You'll need the 'Leave messages on server' box ticked, and the 'Until I delete them or move them from inbox' checked.

but...

if you want to keep the messages then just using imap instead of POP as your incoming server type should give you that. If you're already set up as POP there's a bit of residual stuff to do to get to where you want to be, involving an add-on for exporting/importing et ceteras. If you're set up as IMAP, then you're ready to roll.

OH and myself have one shared IMAP account, which works fine across our two machines, but does imply some kind of human interaction before deleting anything.

I run Thunderbird on another machine as well, and tried once to share my profile across these two machines, but that didn't exactly go swimmingly. I bollocksed something somewhere as in principle it's do-able, but I'm not too bothered at this point in time.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 9:38 pm
  #9  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 33,326
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Try this
You'll need the 'Leave messages on server' box ticked, and the 'Until I delete them or move them from inbox' checked.
Thanks but that's how it was always set up.
Deletion was a two stage process. One to delete - that put it in trash - and then delete from trash.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
If you want to keep the messages then just using imap instead of POP as your incoming server type should give you that. If you're already set up as POP there's a bit of residual stuff to do to get to where you want to be, involving an add-on for exporting/importing et ceteras. If you're set up as IMAP, then you're ready to roll.
I may revisit this but for now my (original) spare laptop doesn't have Outlook - I took it off when I converted the W7 on that one to W10 - because my version was unlikely to work. Plus I installed an SSD on it - just 120 gb and I wanted to keep stuff to a minimum. So it's not an issue.

When my main one went in for a hinge repair, I uninstalled TB and installed it on my spare, temporarily so it remained on one only. Then I reversed it.

So, for now, I only have it on one machine.
But now I have a new spare (the refurb from the other thread) I may want to have it on both. Or an alternative. Then I'll revisit.

BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 9:53 pm
  #10  
No longer unlocking.
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,333
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
...But now I have a new spare (the refurb from the other thread) I may want to have it on both. Or an alternative. Then I'll revisit.
You have the refurb already? Sorry, not been paying a lot of attention recently...
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:22 am
  #11  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 33,326
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
You have the refurb already? Sorry, not been paying a lot of attention recently...
My opening post about it referred to its immaculate condition

https://britishexpats.com/forum/lab-...laptop-930216/
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:59 am
  #12  
No longer unlocking.
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,333
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird email - mystery arrow

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
My opening post about it referred to its immaculate condition

https://britishexpats.com/forum/lab-...laptop-930216/
Goodness knows why, but I had read that as 'looks to be immaculate' on the site, not that you'd already gotten your grubby mitts on it. My bad
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.