Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

My son recently got a Galaxy S2, I was looking on the forums about possibility of updating to ICS - best to check out the android forums
http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...international/

or carrier forums (I'm with TMob in the US, they have a forum for each phone)

general consensus seems to be that ICS has a few cosmetic improvements and a lot of bugs, at least when upgrading the SGS2. You also lose some functionality, e.g. swiping the top bar for brightness control, some people have trouble with wifi calling, etc.
There are a lot of people asking how to downgrade back to gingerbread, and some instructions are posted. Might involve rooting, though.

Hope ICS works better on the S3!
Wish google would invest more in stability and basic functionality than ever more features that few ever use.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:28 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - update to Icream Sandwich? any tecchie Geeks out there?

Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
general consensus seems to be that ICS has a few cosmetic improvements and a lot of bugs, at least when upgrading the SGS2. You also lose some functionality, e.g. swiping the top bar for brightness control, some people have trouble with wifi calling, etc.
There are a lot of people asking how to downgrade back to gingerbread, and some instructions are posted. Might involve rooting, though.

Hope ICS works better on the S3!
Wish google would invest more in stability and basic functionality than ever more features that few ever use.
You only really hear from the people complaining though. Most of the stuff on the T-Mobile forum prior to release was people demanding an upgrade despite having no idea what they'd gain by getting ICS. My SG2 works fine on ICS, wasn't really expecting much as I'd already put it on my old Vibrant so I knew there wasn't really much added to it. You only really see the changes if you get rid of Touchwiz. Most of the stability problems aren't Google related they're Samsung related as they insist on putting their Touchwiz on the device where as pure Android devices work just fine