Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

PC Issue

PC Issue

Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default PC Issue

So my PC did a windows update a couple days ago. After the update a good chunk of my desk top icons were gone, and all my saved passwords and usernames also gone. The files themselves are still there when I search the short cuts just poofed after the update.

Now when I turned on the computer or restart it, it gets stuck on a please wait screen, then goes to a black screen, and eventually (5-10 minutes later) the screen turns normal, but the computer is now really laggy and doesn't work as well as it did prior to this windows update.

I tested the monitor with my wife's laptop and the screen works fine, so its a PC issue and I assume related to the update since this is when all the problems started.

It's an Acer with Windows 10, Intel Core i5, that's about all the tech stuff I know off the top of my head about it, about 16-18 months old.

Old Aug 1st 2020, 5:54 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PC Issue

Can you do a system restore to before the update happened?
Old Aug 1st 2020, 7:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Can you do a system restore to before the update happened?
Or possibly search for the update and uninstal it?

Just to say that system restore has only ever worked for me in safe mode.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

If you were doing a regular windows update, it’s very unlikely that passwords etc. have disappeared unless there is another underlying problem or another programme has been used to “ clean” your system.

Do you run any kind of antivirus or security programme on your PC (you say PC so I assume it’s not a laptop)..

Do you make backups using windows? If so you can restore to a previous date.

If not try a system restore (Windows) not the ACER system restore or it will wipe everything.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

There was another update last night, now everything is back to normal again, maybe the first update had an issue?

But everything is back on the desk top, and passwords and everything back, maybe it was just a glitch with the first update, I dunno not a tech type, but seems to be working fine now.

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
There was another update last night, now everything is back to normal again, maybe the first update had an issue?

But everything is back on the desk top, and passwords and everything back, maybe it was just a glitch with the first update, I dunno not a tech type, but seems to be working fine now.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that turning it off and then back on again solved it.