Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Nostalgia corner- The 20 greatest home computers

Nostalgia corner- The 20 greatest home computers

Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nostalgia corner- The 20 greatest home computers

The first computer I encountered was in elementary school Apple 2e, we played games on it on rainy days when recess was cancelled, we had 2 in our classroom.

Middle School was Apple Mac and high school also had these, we used them 1-2 times a year for English class, the school had 1 classroom with 35 of them, so it wasn't something used daily, and beyond typing and saving onto a disc we did nothing else with them.

High school also had IBM computers what kind I have no idea, we only used them for typing, it was a typing class, about 35 in the room.

My first PC at home was 1998/1999 time frame, a Compaq Presario.

Then when I started at the airline in 1998 we were something similiar to this. Dummy terminals I think they were called and they were not fun to use, mostly because the booking program required you to type commands that had to be memorized, there was no clicking with a mouse and there was a lot of typing random strings of commands to do anything and everything. Everything on the screen was this weird green color.

Old Dec 8th 2020, 5:01 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nostalgia corner- The 20 greatest home computers

It's true, those 8 bit machines were wonderful. They taught efficient programming and I spent hours and hours entertaining myself with them trying to squeeze as much into their pitiful memory as I could.
The first one bought was of course the ZX81. I wrote a program for a friend who ran a book shop. He had it connected to a TV running to let buyers know what books he had in store. Predates the stuff you see in stores today by about 35 years. Limited memory but did have rear access for the quirky 16k additional memory. I actually had mine running a burglar alarm system. I did have an issue with it keeping time though because it only used integer arithmetic, but good fun at the time.
I bought an Amstrad 464 new. I think it cost over 300 quid at the time but it was worth it. Programmed in Basic and machine code because I wouldn't buy an assembler. Wrote many educational games for my daughter on it to make up for the fact that I wouldn't buy her a Nintendo. I did buy a disc drive for it, but Amstrad chose to go with 3inch discs that was a mistake, because later on I found they became quite scarce.
The Spectrum also used the Z80 processor but the amount of memory allocated to the screen compromised the colours you could use.
The Commodore 64 was let down by it's accessories like the disc drive that was unbelievably slow, but programming the 6502 processor and using the built in Basic was enjoyable.
I bought an Atari but never really got to grips with it, but it did have some really good games.
So if you wanted a machine you could program, I'd go with a colour Amstrad 664, if it was games you were after then I think the Atari had the edge over the Commodore.
Imagine what was crammed into 64k when today a PC won't get out of bed for, well as much as it can get.