Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

MAC to Windows

MAC to Windows

Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:56 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute
Default MAC to Windows

Hello out there!
I sent someone a document to edit for me who has a windows computer. I have a MAC . I have sent the document to them and they can read it but can't edit it. We have both looked on the internet for solutions but as usual and for various reasons we still can't do it.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to do it please, it must be possible. To reiterate: I have sent a word document to someone with a windows computer and it can't be edited. Is it possible,
Please, I'm a computer idiot!! If someone does have a solution I would be most grateful but do please remember; I'm stupid so reply in very, very, plain English not 'computer speak'!!

Thanks.

Last edited by KJMW; Dec 4th 2020 at 7:43 am.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 4:01 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAC to Windows

Stupid question but are they actually using Word to open the document or some other application? If using Word the documents usually open up in Protected view and you have to click a button to enable editing, if the button isn't showing then you can do it through the menus:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-f874461a13a0

I'm guessing you may have tried that already if you've been Googling but without knowing what you've already tried I can't rule anything out.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:56 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Stupid question but are they actually using Word to open the document or some other application? If using Word the documents usually open up in Protected view and you have to click a button to enable editing, if the button isn't showing then you can do it through the menus:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-f874461a13a0

I'm guessing you may have tried that already if you've been Googling but without knowing what you've already tried I can't rule anything out.
Not a stupid question at all. I simply don't understand what you are talking about!! I did ask that any reply is in language I can understand!! Sorry, it's me not you!!
Old Dec 8th 2020, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this answers your question, but basically a MS Word document produced on a Mac is saved as a .docx document. This should be readable on either a Mac or a PC (the latter generally saving MS Word generated documents as .doc)

Assuming it was a MS Word document that you produced, it generally can only be edited by the creator if that person is the computer's 'administer' (admin) because the administer has both read & write privileges. The administer can however opt to give read & write privileges to 'staff' or 'everyone'.
Get your correspondant to right click and select 'Get Info' without actually opening the document. That will open a dialogue box, near the bottom left click the arrow 'Sharing & Permissions'. If against the name 'everyone' the privilege shows Read only, it may be possible to click on that to change to Read & Write. (See attachment below).
If not possible the document originator should do this at source with future documents produced.

Old Dec 8th 2020, 8:24 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If they can read the document can't they just copy and paste it to a new one? Or are their annotations etc in it?
Old Dec 8th 2020, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you first please give a rundown of:

1. Which Mac you have and which version of Mac OS it is running? (click on the apple, top left for info).
2. Which version of MS Word or MS Office you are using.
3. Are you using an installed package or Office 365? (subscription).

One would expect the documents to be compatible but that's not always true, even with the very latest versions.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 6:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Not sure if this answers your question, but basically a MS Word document produced on a Mac is saved as a .docx document. This should be readable on either a Mac or a PC (the latter generally saving MS Word generated documents as .doc)

Assuming it was a MS Word document that you produced, it generally can only be edited by the creator if that person is the computer's 'administer' (admin) because the administer has both read & write privileges. The administer can however opt to give read & write privileges to 'staff' or 'everyone'.
Get your correspondant to right click and select 'Get Info' without actually opening the document. That will open a dialogue box, near the bottom left click the arrow 'Sharing & Permissions'. If against the name 'everyone' the privilege shows Read only, it may be possible to click on that to change to Read & Write. (See attachment below).
If not possible the document originator should do this at source with future documents produced.

Thanks for that I shall send the info to my friend having the trouble editing the document I sent. I shall also, as you suggest, try and do it my end on my Mac. thanks again.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 6:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
If they can read the document can't they just copy and paste it to a new one? Or are their annotations etc in it?
Tried that but unfortunately still cannot do any editing.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 6:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Could you first please give a rundown of:

1. Which Mac you have and which version of Mac OS it is running? (click on the apple, top left for info).
2. Which version of MS Word or MS Office you are using.
3. Are you using an installed package or Office 365? (subscription).

One would expect the documents to be compatible but that's not always true, even with the very latest versions.
It is Mac OS High Sierra.
Haven't clue which version of word I'm using (told you I was dim!!) It was installed for me by the apple people when I bought the Mac.
It was installed for me and no, I don't pay a subscription. (Had to pay for the WORD package of course that was installed.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
It is Mac OS High Sierra.
Haven't clue which version of word I'm using (told you I was dim!!) It was installed for me by the apple people when I bought the Mac.
It was installed for me and no, I don't pay a subscription. (Had to pay for the WORD package of course that was installed.
I have High Sierra installed on one Mac and no problems with MS Office/Word documents.
To know which version you're using, open a Word document and click on WORD on the top toolbar, then click on About Word. That shows the version etc.

For info, as you're running High Sierra (Mac OS 10.13) and MS Office etc, be aware that if you decide to run a later OS such as Catalina (Mac OS 10.15) you will loose the ability to run all 32-bit apps (such as your current version of MS Office). There are workaround solutions albeit somewhat complex for most users.
I have a MacBook Pro running Mojave (Mac OS 10.14) and need current 32-bit apps such as MS Office and especially audio recording software, so I'm staying well clear of updating to Catalina.
So many Mac users have been caught out with non-functioning previously purchased apps due to this. Imho Mojave is an excellent compromise and a very stable OS.

Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
I have High Sierra installed on one Mac and no problems with MS Office/Word documents.
To know which version you're using, open a Word document and click on WORD on the top toolbar, then click on About Word. That shows the version etc.

For info, as you're running High Sierra (Mac OS 10.13) and MS Office etc, be aware that if you decide to run a later OS such as Catalina (Mac OS 10.15) you will loose the ability to run all 32-bit apps (such as your current version of MS Office). There are workaround solutions albeit somewhat complex for most users.
I have a MacBook Pro running Mojave (Mac OS 10.14) and need current 32-bit apps such as MS Office and especially audio recording software, so I'm staying well clear of updating to Catalina.
So many Mac users have been caught out with non-functioning previously purchased apps due to this. Imho Mojave is an excellent compromise and a very stable OS.
Christ! I'm like a babe in the woods!!!! Thank you for that. My word version is 16.16.2 (201012) Whatever the hell that means!!! Greta tip about NOT updating. Thanks again.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the document has to be copied Verbatim, including all formatting, it's possible to save it as a simple text file on your mac and send it in that format.

Use the magnifying glass symbol top right (Spotlight Search)

Type in TEXTEDIT

Choose a NEW document using the FILE selection in the top menu

It will open a small window.

Now open MSWord

Open the relevant document

Now using the mouse, hold the button in and select the whole text or using the Edit menu use SELECT ALL

Go to the edit menu and select COPY

now go to the smaller textedit window and click one time

Now go to the edit menu again and use PASTE

Now save the document giving a suitable name and save it in documents or on the desktop.

Now go to FILE menu and select SHARE, then MAIL, and mail it to your contact.

That should work.

Old Dec 11th 2020, 5:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Unless the document has to be copied Verbatim, including all formatting, it's possible to save it as a simple text file on your mac and send it in that format.

Use the magnifying glass symbol top right (Spotlight Search)

Type in TEXTEDIT

Choose a NEW document using the FILE selection in the top menu

It will open a small window.

Now open MSWord

Open the relevant document

Now using the mouse, hold the button in and select the whole text or using the Edit menu use SELECT ALL

Go to the edit menu and select COPY

now go to the smaller textedit window and click one time

Now go to the edit menu again and use PASTE

Now save the document giving a suitable name and save it in documents or on the desktop.

Now go to FILE menu and select SHARE, then MAIL, and mail it to your contact.

That should work.
I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf and will do as you have suggested. Many thanks.