Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Linux - Installing & using

Linux - Installing & using

Old Oct 25th 2019, 7:06 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Linux - Installing & using

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
The old laptop (HP Pavillion ZE2000)...

Old Oct 25th 2019, 7:11 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I'd say you deserve another beer for all that.
Thanks.

I still have one of these in stock, but I guess it will have to wait a bit.

Old Oct 25th 2019, 8:54 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
A period piece indeed.

The flintlock didn't appear to have Bluetooth, but the vase would almost definitely have been Windows-ready.

Always good to see Arthur strutting his stuff.

Do you have any Percy Thrower in your archive?
Old Oct 25th 2019, 11:06 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Lots on youtube it appears.

Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

A period piece indeed.

The flintlock didn't appear to have Bluetooth, but the vase would almost definitely have been Windows-ready.

Always good to see Arthur strutting his stuff.

The mention of Percy Thrower made me smile. I recall an amusing quote from Adge Cutler - the bard of the West Country (BristolUK will surely remember 'ee).
Adge, on describing a new record release of himself and the Wurzels said, "When Jimmy Young 'eard it, he hung up. When Johnny Cash 'eard it, he cashed up. And Percy Thrower didn't think much of it either!"

Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 26th 2019, 8:03 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
The mention of Percy Thrower made me smile. I recall an amusing quote from Adge Cutler - the bard of the West Country (BristolUK will surely remember 'ee).
Adge, on describing a new record release of himself and the Wurzels said, "When Jimmy Young 'eard it, he hung up. When Johnny Cash 'eard it, he cashed up. And Percy Thrower didn't think much of it either!"
That sounds like something Fred Wedlock would have said.

Old Oct 26th 2019, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd wager it was the Avonmouth Bard himself.
Just checked but can't find a link. Have most of his original albums back in the UK, so not able to confirm on which the above Percy Thrower quote was made.
Now how did we get from Linux to Percy and beyond?

Still haven't had time to complete the bootable USB stick to install MX Linux, as - just for an aside experience, I've been renovating two early iPhones, a 3G and 4G with broken screens, dead batteries etc, back to original condition. Never done this before, and great fun. Just completed the 4G which (to my surprise) again works a treat. And Apple claim that all iPhone batteries are non-user replaceable, which is nonsense.

Before, and dead as a dodo. Even after charging attempt:
Spoiler:

After. And as good as new (pity about the early iOS though):
Spoiler:

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 26th 2019 at 10:12 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 11:02 pm
European

...Now how did we get from Linux to Percy and beyond?
Mea culpa.

The answer lies in the motherboard soil.

Tomorrow's broadcast will likely involve the delicate subject of "best modem eliminator 2019".

Old Oct 26th 2019, 11:14 pm
A girly swot

I'd wager it was the Avonmouth Bard himself. Avonmouth Bard
I've got Fred's version of that too. Or rather I did have. Pretty sure I didn't bring the LP with me.
I moved to Canada from Totterdown

Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I've got Fred's version of that too. Or rather I did have. Pretty sure I didn't bring the LP with me.
I moved to Canada from Totterdown
Shouldn't that read 'Toerdown gert lush'.
I'm ex Fishponds, for my sins.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 4:07 pm
European

This is like falling off a bicycle.

I also found another USB stick with "something" on it - I'm guessing it's an old Manjaro, but I'll need to have another look.
It's not Manjaro, it's gpartd.

The USB to PS/2 splitter could be naff, but I have the means to verify that.
It's naff.

Why Mint won't cohabit remains unanswered.
Because it has nowhere to go. Booting up with the gpartd USB showed the hard disk to be MBR rather than GPT, and that there were two hidden partitions alongside the known two, so no vacancies.

Time for a beer.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 11:53 pm
A girly swot

Shouldn't that read 'Toerdown gert lush'.
I'm ex Fishponds, for my sins.
Passed Lodge House many a time on the cyclepath. Went to the Lido as a kid a few times.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 11:55 pm
A girly swot

I reckon they should rename it Linus.

And since Halloween is almost upon us

Old Oct 29th 2019, 12:51 am
European

I reckon they should rename it Linus.

And since Halloween is almost upon us

You knew this, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

I still claim my €5.64 (or whatever it is today)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.