Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Linux - Installing & using

Linux - Installing & using

Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Linux - Installing & using

Recently I was chatting to a nice elderly chap who runs a small shoe-repair boutique & engraving service in a nearby shopping mall. I gave him a little free advise as his software used with the engraving machine was on the blink. He was using WinXP, and when asked if his ancient HP tower and associated setup was now only used for driving the engraving machine, he answered, no it was also used for placing orders on-line! I explained that wasn't wise, and the reasons.
Saw him again last week, and he had purchased a s/h laptop running Win10. At least he should be a little safer now.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 10:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I got some HP Elitebook 840 G2 laptops from salvage and have been finding my way around and setting one up. I still don't like the Linux 18.04 os and continue to use the 64 bit 16.04. For some reason I just find it nicer; all the buttons are where they should be, stuff is easier to find. These take an m2 ssd but also have a 2.5" bay so I put in a 240gb ssd. Apparently when I get an m2 (doesn't have to be a big one) I can use that for operation at blinding speed and just put in as large a 2.5" as I want (even a huge cheap spinning rust drive) and just use that for storage. Downloading the os involved using my external disc drive since the slim profile of the computer doesn't allow for one. The surprise of the day was discovering by accident that they have a touchscreen, I had no idea. It feels very modern, at least to me.
Just loading the 2nd one up now; firefox wants updating before it will take an adblocker, the os gets a pile of updates, Skype takes a little time, VLC mediaplayer... it's a novelty because it wasn't that long ago I couldn't do any of this stuff myself.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 6th 2019 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 10:54 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I got some HP Elitebook 840 G2 laptops from salvage and have been finding my way around and setting one up. I still don't like the Linux 18.04 os and continue to use the 64 bit 16.04. For some reason I just find it nicer; all the buttons are where they should be, stuff is easier to find. These take an m2 ssd but also have a 2.5" bay so I put in a 240gb ssd. Apparently when I get an m2 (doesn't have to be a big one) I can use that for operation at blinding speed and just put in as large a 2.5" as I want (even a huge cheap spinning rust drive) and just use that for storage. Downloading the os involved using my external disc drive since the slim profile of the computer doesn't allow for one. The surprise of the day was discovering by accident that they have a touchscreen, I had no idea. It feels very modern, at least to me.
I hate touchscreens, OH has one, every time she asks me to check something on hers I have to say "where's the bloody mouse?"

What's the current favourite flavour Linux distro? I found my target laptop (but not yet the power supply )

Last week I gave the desktop a birthday present of doubling the RAM and putting in an SSD ahead of 'rust drive', good grief this thing flies now.

Windows 7 seeks flatmate...
Old Jul 6th 2019, 11:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Last week I gave the desktop a birthday present of doubling the RAM and putting in an SSD ahead of 'rust drive', good grief this thing flies
If the m2 is really 10x faster than a 2.5" ssd then I'm in for a treat.

These came with 8gb ram installed but I'll double one up, I like too much memory, given the choice, and there's a spare card in the parts machine I got last year. I ordered a new battery for that one before discovering the CPU was fried, so I have a brand new battery as well.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I hate touchscreens, OH has one, every time she asks me to check something on hers I have to say "where's the bloody mouse?"

What's the current favourite flavour Linux distro? I found my target laptop (but not yet the power supply )

Last week I gave the desktop a birthday present of doubling the RAM and putting in an SSD ahead of 'rust drive', good grief this thing flies now.

Windows 7 seeks flatmate...
I too hate touchscreens, tried one again last week and....... ugh! And this was on a rather nice, expensive recent Lenovo. This was with a family member who'd purchased it on a whim without too much prior knowledge.
He'd been using it for about a year, never using the keyboard, and was obviously struggling. When he saw me using the keyboard which was far easier, he tried himself and was amazed at the difference. It was running Win10 - again which I highly dislike, and the many desktop tiles had proved confusing to the owner - and myself.
It took me 10mins or so to remove most tiles and generally clean up the desktop. Whilst at it, I downloaded/installed the latest Waterfox web browser - which I love for its 'lightness' and especially it's nil tracking & usage information. Coupled this with DuckDuckGo as the default search engine, along with Qwant and Ecosia for additional search efficiency.
Imho these changes transformed the user experience and the owner was truly amazed at the newly-found user friendliness of his Lenovo.

Back to the above query regarding favourite Linux distros. I note that according to Distrowatch, MX Linux has hit the current top-spot, followed by Manjaro and Mint. I've yet to try MX Linux.

Another I was reading a review on was Peppermint 10, which I plan to try asap. It's Lubuntu based, lightweight, therefore easy on system resources, and claimed to be lightning fast. Should be interesting, especially as I wish to try it out on some early MacBooks which are often capricious.

Agree about SSD's. Together with 8Gb RAM they make my 2010 MacBook 'fly'.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 16th 2019 at 9:02 am.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:37 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
I too hate touchscreens, tried one again last week and....... ugh! And this was on a rather nice, expensive recent Lenovo. This was with a family member who'd purchased it on a whim without too much prior knowledge.
He'd been using it for about a year, never using the keyboard, and was obviously struggling. When he saw me using the keyboard which was far easier, he tried himself and was amazed at the difference. It was running Win10 - again which I highly dislike, and the many desktop tiles had proved confusing to the owner - and myself.
It took me 10mins or so to remove most tiles and generally clean up the desktop. Whilst at it, I downloaded/installed the latest Waterfox web browser - which I love for its 'lightness' and especially it's nil tracking & usage information. Coupled this with DuckDuckGo as the default search engine, along with Qwant and Ecosia for additional search efficiency.
Imho these changes transformed the user experience and the owner was truly amazed at the newly-found user friendliness of his Lenovo.

Back to the above query regarding favourite Linux distros. I note that according to Distrowatch, MX Linux has hit the current top-spot, followed by Manjaro and Mint. I've yet to try MX Linux.

Another I was reading a review on was Peppermint 10, which I plan to try asap. It's Lubuntu based, lightweight, therefore easy on system resources, and claimed to be lightning fast. Should be interesting, especially as I wish to try it out on some early MacBooks which are often capricious.

Agree about SSD's. Together with 8Gb RAM they make my 2010 MacBook 'fly'.
Im still using a early 2008 mbp and putting a ssd in that made hell of a difference, until I sold it my MP 3.1 I had ssd's in raid 1 "Mirrored" config which bolstered boot times even more.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Someone was asking a short while ago about the program 'Wine' for running windows on other platforms such as Linux.
I've just been reading that several Linux distros now support wine, one such being MX Linux.
This mid-weight Linux system, according to the geeks is currently proving to be the most popular in terms of number of downloads, and especially ease/satisfaction of use. It also has a very impressive number of features and packages 'out-of-the-box'. 18.3 is the latest stable distribution release. I plan to give it a trial over the next few days on a Lenova ThinkPad X230, and I'll report back on my findings.
I also found THIS related Linux/Wine link whilst browsing, maybe interesting to some, although I'd never opt to run Windows on a Linux machine, I understand why many would want to.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 6:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Someone was asking a short while ago about the program 'Wine' for running windows on other platforms such as Linux.
I've just been reading that several Linux distros now support wine, one such being MX Linux.
This mid-weight Linux system, according to the geeks is currently proving to be the most popular in terms of number of downloads, and especially ease/satisfaction of use. It also has a very impressive number of features and packages 'out-of-the-box'. 18.3 is the latest stable distribution release. I plan to give it a trial over the next few days on a Lenova ThinkPad X230, and I'll report back on my findings.
I also found THIS related Linux/Wine link whilst browsing, maybe interesting to some, although I'd never opt to run Windows on a Linux machine, I understand why many would want to.
That was me; the NVMS7000 security cameras at work don't like Linux, so I was going to either try to use WINE to fool it into thinking I was Windows, or maybe try a link my friend had for downloading Windows 8 and see if it would work on that. I'll go get my X230 out of the basement and charge it up, and later look for a download for MX. I've been using 16.04; not the latest but a system I like. I bookmarked the link, thanks for posting.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:11 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Over the weekend I finally located an HP power supply which should be for the old Vista laptop. Before giving that a go, I've just spent an hour getting a bootable USB copy of Mint going, fired it up on my HP Envy laptop, and here we are, my first post using Linux and Firefox. Ad free as well.

Now to see if I can achieve the same with the old HP, not even sure if that has wifi, it's that old...

Hasta la vista (as it were)
Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Hasta la vista (as it were)
You should be fine.
The only thing I'm using Windows for... actually, I take the stickers off once I install Linux, and use them to decorate my vaporizers.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 5:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
You should be fine.
The only thing I'm using Windows for... actually, I take the stickers off once I install Linux, and use them to decorate my vaporizers.
Not quite the same but I like to use old windows images as wallpaper sometimes. Might even put someone off steeling a computer if they break in

Old Oct 21st 2019, 6:58 pm
European

Well that was fun, if a bit lengthy. The power supply was indeed for the old HP Pavillion, which not running Vista as I remembered, but had somehow morphed into XP (in French!) however, it would not boot from the USB drive. The USB was seen as a hard disk in BIOS, but no go. No worries, burn an ISO onto DVD. On the second boot of that...

It clattered away for ages, until "all done, remove the installation media, restart".

Yes'm sir!

Nada, zilch.

Hang on, didn't you disable the hard disk as a boot option in BIOS whilst trying to get it up on USB...

Shortly afterwards....

Have a great time! I know how to do that...

I'll give Mint a proper spin tomorrow.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great time! I know how to do that...

I'll give Mint a proper spin tomorrow.
It can accompany your spinning head!

Old Oct 25th 2019, 6:35 pm
European

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It can accompany your spinning head!
It's weird the number of earworms you give me, so back at ya, here's the spinning one. And yes, I do have the album

On the subject of USB sticks as mentioned in another thread by Tweedpipe, I tried to put Mint (19.2, Tina) on to an exFAT formatted USB stick; the installer rebuffed that and said FAT32 or NTFS only... I also found another USB stick with "something" on it - I'm guessing it's an old Manjaro, but I'll need to have another look.

The old laptop (HP Pavillion ZE2000) came up fine from MintOnDisk (via DVD), but (a) it has a 4:3 screen and (b) has a crappy (!) Swiss French keyboard.

So, drag out the four machine KVM switch, verify that with the HP desktop. The desktop has PS/2 ports for mouse and keyboard, the Pavillion doesn't, but that's ok just plug in the USB to PS/2 adapter thingy and ... bugger all. The V was ok (to the big monitor), but the K and M bits were sadly not.

Next, poke the Vaio laptop into life for the first time in about a month, so hours of Win 10 updates and a system image copy later, boot it from the Mint USB. It went like a rat up a drainpipe, yay! Again no PS/2 ports on the Vaio, true to form the K and M bits didn't go, but the V side looked gorgeous on the big monitor. The Vaio has a UK English keyboard and tons of space on the rust-drive, so why not try a parallel (Win + Mint) install.

Mint saw that Win 10 was at home, but refused to share the disk, it just wanted to trash it. I know that feeling all too well, but now is really not the time.

The USB to PS/2 splitter could be naff, but I have the means to verify that. If it is naff, then maybe look for a USB (rather than PS/2) KVM switch.

Why Mint won't cohabit remains unanswered.

Anyone have an IBM z/10 going cheap? They were so much easier to work with - and I got a version of Linux up and running via PR/SM quite nicely. Until Ops realised that I'd "borrowed" a couple of their disks.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 6:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'd say you deserve another beer for all that.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.