Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Laptop choice help

Laptop choice help

Old Jul 28th 2018, 1:56 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop choice help

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Just bought an HP laptop yesterday, it was only an i5 with 180 SSD and 16 GB ram for $180 from arrow direct.
Looks a good website. No delivery outside the US though.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Just bought an HP laptop yesterday, it was only an i5 with 180 SSD and 16 GB ram for $180 from arrow direct.
That sounds like a very sweet deal. A good buy!
I had to smile when you mentioned "only an i5". I regulary use a 2004 PowerPc (i.e. pre-Intel) laptop, with a very old OS and which with the latest 2018 web browser and MS Office 2004 suite allows for most common productivity tasks and web browsing. I can even stream, watch and/or save YTube videos, so even today it's a good old vintage workhorse. In fact I use it far more frequently than a 2014 i7 powered MacBookPro, as over the last few years I've come to detest everything Apple have been doing to their laptops due to their built-in obsolescence policies, and horrendous charges when beyond the warranty period.
Imho, one can't go far wrong choosing a Lenova W, T or X series laptop with Linux installed.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 12:14 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
...over the last few years I've come to detest everything Apple have been doing to their laptops...
A couple of weeks ago I was temporarily seduced by some refurbished macbooks that seemed a really good deal.

But then looking at the screen displays and thinking about navigation compared to Windows it all looked remarkably similar to a chromebook.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 1:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Imho, one can't go far wrong choosing a Lenovo W, T or X series laptop with Linux installed.
Absolutely agree (though I don't think I've had a W), over the last while I've had quite a few government surplus business laptops and the Lenovos are the ones I use all the time. T520 at home and an X201 at work and for travelling, but I'm looking forward to trying the 440p with the buttons built into the touchpad. Having docks for some of these allows me to use 24" monitor, deluxe keyboard and good speakers so I don't need a desktop computer at all. The 400 series seems to be the sea-change in power cords, square plugs replacing round so making sure the right one is in the bag is more critical. According to the reviews they are only 4 years old and being changed out already! I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 and Brasero on my 520 last night and want to try burning a boot disc today so I can try the new version on the 440p. Since it has an M2 sata slot for a 2nd drive, that's an upgrade I may make in future (if I like it and keep using it) and my friend says 18.04 can shift data to and from the 2nd drive automatically, but I'll have to road test the computer first. The M2 is rated so much faster than an ssd I'm really curious now.
https://otvtech.ca/index.php?option=...184&Itemid=119
The combination of ssd and linux in a thinkpad already produces speed that blows spinning rust and windows out of the water. The price point on used ones is low so Lenovo should be a good buy, as long as it has an ssd and the memory you require so you don't have to spend a lot of money upgrading (depending on purchase price). For browsing the web and most of my needs I can get by on 4gb of ram (this 520 has 4gb) but have 8gb or 16gb in some of my laptops even though it never gets used. Maybe if I was a gamer I'd need more. handy link:
https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/pd012623
I've been told some people need windows to play their video games and linux won't do them all, but that's out of my experience. I think the linux gaming thing is called Steam but I don't know it's capabilities or limitations.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 30th 2018 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was temporarily seduced by some refurbished macbooks that seemed a really good deal.

But then looking at the screen displays and thinking about navigation compared to Windows it all looked remarkably similar to a chromebook.
Must confess I've never used a chromebook.
Some refurbished Macs are worth considering, but here are a few models that I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole, at least to own myself:
- Any model with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. These include most MacBook Pro 15" &17" models from mid/late 2007 to late 2008. (A1226/A1229/A1260/A1261).
- Also be cautious with 2010 models with Nvidia GeForce GT 330M graphics card.
- MacBook Pros 15" early 2011 and late 2011(A1286); MacBook Pros 17" early 2011 and late 2011 (A1297) - critical AMD Radeon and associated lead-free solder graphics problems. Extended repair program launched at that time.
- MacBook ProRet 15" mid 2012-2013 (A1398) graphics card problem. Extended repair program was launched due to the magnitude of problems.
- MacBook & MBPro 2015-2016 and later. Butterfly keyboard problems, where I understand that faulty keyboards alone cannot be replaced, necesitating replacement of the top case - price tag horrendous at $600+ if laptop is outside of warranty.
- iMac late 2011 - mid 2012 , most i5 and i7 models with Radeon HD6970M graphics card are potentially affected. This was a critical problem and even change of the graphics card frequently did not effect a permanent cure. Although the so-called pro's scoff and say it's impossible, I've revived 2 dead 27" iMacs of this vintage by a 4in1 fix, namely removal and baking the graphics card, use of K5/K4 thermal and pad replacement paste, slightly tweaking the display resolution down to 1920x1080, and installing a fan control app to increase cooling to the logic board, CD & optical drive. All this I've done for the experience and 'fun', never charging a cent.
There are several other earlier models - PowerPC and early iMac Intels that I could mention but will pass on, as most buyers of refurbished Macs will probably not be interested in.
My favourite Macs? Perhaps for another thread.......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 30th 2018 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:38 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Must confess I've never used a chromebook.
Me neither. It was a website selling them and I can't even remember where. It just struck me that side by side the only real difference in appearance was the apple on the lid.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I mainly use Chromebooks, excellent for 99% of what I do and would be hard pushed to go back to Windows.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

HP "STREAM" models are also very good and not expensive.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

A bit over the top but why I like Chromebooks.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 5:11 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCACTtomIo

A bit over the top but why I like Chromebooks.
Watching that, you'd have to wonder why they were so cheap.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another plus, I usually have 2 and everything is pretty much duplicated when I sign on, lack of Windows bloat means they do not need much in the way of processors etc.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever owned one of those dirt cheap no-name android 10.1 tablets, that can be bought for $100 or less? My old Samsung Tab I bought in 2013, and it's more than a little past it, struggling with the most basic tasks such as loading web pages. I would only want it for basic browsing and Skype. I understand that at that price they are probably disposable and good for perhaps a year, but at that price who cares? I need to replace what I have and there has been a LOT of outlay lately with the Little Lion going off the uni, so economy is key.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:17 pm
Somewhat uncouth

I spent $60CAD on a Proscan thing a couple of years ago thinking it might help me get used to a tablet. 1gb/8gb, Android 5 I think.

It was so slow and I just couldn't take to it. I'd have thrown it away but the stepadults are able to play a few games on it so at least it's getting some use.

If you don't mind the weight, you might be better off with something like this.
https://www.reusetek.com/dell-latitu...bished-laptop/
(I have one and infinitely better)

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAHG47T30130
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I spent $60CAD on a Proscan thing a couple of years ago thinking it might help me get used to a tablet. 1gb/8gb, Android 5 I think.

It was so slow and I just couldn't take to it. I'd have thrown it away but the stepadults are able to play a few games on it so at least it's getting some use.

If you don't mind the weight, you might be better off with something like this.
https://www.reusetek.com/dell-latitu...bished-laptop/
(I have one and infinitely better)

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAHG47T30130
Might be good for home. The second one isn't too heavy, but I was hoping for a tablet for the portability and not having to wrangle a keyboard everywhere.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a refurb Samsung Tab A for $120 at Walmart, this is so much faster that my cheap $80 tablet I bought on Black Friday last year. However the i7 Gen 3 laptop from Arrow Direct was a much better buy. Very light, 180 SSD, 16 GB memory. However it runs Windows and not Android.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.