Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Laptop choice help

Laptop choice help

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 7:39 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop choice help

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Very true...that one does have an ssd, dual dedicated gpu's and an $8,000 price tag https://us-store.acer.com/laptops/pr...tm_content=21X
But it comes with a carry case big enough to live in so you'd save a fortune on rent.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 7:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I got one of these huge Dell 6700 deluxe models from government salvage and it was loaded, 16gb of ram and lots of bays so I put a 480 gb ssd in and a 500 gb sata drive to put movies on. Must have been a supervisor's computer but they don't seem to have ever used it. The price tag new 5 years ago on it would have been around $8000 Cdn. Most of the Thinkpads were about $1800 new but now I see them in pop up stores for under $300.
Attached Thumbnails Laptop choice help-dell6700.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:53 pm
Ride a White Swan

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I got one of these huge Dell 6700 deluxe models from government salvage
And it's red too

Old Jan 12th 2018, 4:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a Lenovo t430 and a t420 from government salvage for nothing, got a few sticks of 2gb 1600mhz RAM from computer store salvage for less than half the new price and bought 2 used Kingston 120gb ssd's for $90 from someone upgrading off kijiji. I love a bargain. I can give the 420 to a friend and still have a project. I'll swap the 240gb ssd out of my t61 for one of the used ones and put that in (7mm drive caddies on order). Since I'm not a gamer I don't really need a ton of Ram, and expectations are fairly high I'll get decent speed out of it unless there is some hidden problem.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

My work laptop is a Lenovo (P71 ThinkPad). Fantastic piece of kit, much better than the Dell 7 series and HP ProBooks I've had in the past.

I'm admittedly an Apple fanboy, I only use Apple products the minute I get in the house but this Lenovo is awesome. Haven't used it for gaming though.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm on my little x-200 thinkpad tablet now (its what I normally bring to work) and I really like it.
Attached Thumbnails Laptop choice help-20180112_132553-0-.jpg  

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 12th 2018 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a Lenovo t430 and a t420 from government salvage for nothing, got a few sticks of 2gb 1600mhz RAM from computer store salvage for less than half the new price and bought 2 used Kingston 120gb ssd's for $90 from someone upgrading off kijiji. I love a bargain. I can give the 420 to a friend and still have a project. I'll swap the 240gb ssd out of my t61 for one of the used ones and put that in (7mm drive caddies on order). Since I'm not a gamer I don't really need a ton of Ram, and expectations are fairly high I'll get decent speed out of it unless there is some hidden problem.
Same here i nabbed a T410 from an asset sale at my college for $100. Still has a great battery and is decently fast, and i'm going to sell it to a mate who needs a laptop to go off to uni but doesn't have the dosh for a new one. It will be perfect once he pops an SSD in it.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:43 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Just realised the docking station for the T520 fits the T430 and T420 as well, and we have a few of these in storage so that's a bonus. Plugged into the dock so no cables going into the laptop itself and with the keyboard on top in front of a 24" monitor I can't even see the computer, so any comparison between t430 and t520 will be on performance alone. For me that's how many high-def pictures of cats I can conjure up per minute, ease of arguing with strangers on BE, speed of retrieval of stills and video of the good old days.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 6:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I got a pair of Lenovo 440p laptops from salvage this morning, and am trying them out now using my linux boot disc (the 64 bit Ubuntu). These are nice, though it's hard to tell much difference among thinkpads. No glitches that I can see and each has core i5 (instead of the i7) and comes with 4 gb of ram so I'll have no qualms about putting ssd's in these. I want to save one of my ssd's for use in an enclosure so will wait and see what OTV offers on their Saturday Sale this week. They usually have one kind on sale.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Have they fixed the noisy fan issues in the Thinkpads now?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 6:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Have they fixed the noisy fan issues in the Thinkpads now?
I haven't noticed noisy fans in mine, at least in comparison to the larger loaded Dell and HP ones I have. The one I keep in the dock at home is a T520 which is 6 or 7 years old now compared to 4 for these 440's, and I don't notice it running.
The shocker was accessing BE on the new ones with no ad blocker! You get used to it and forget...

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 20th 2018 at 7:10 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I've been playing with another pair of T440p thinkpads and the fan is noisy when it's digesting the boot disc, but not bad when in use. I'm still trying to figure out how to load my operating system into a 240gb ssd I have in an enclosure so I can just plug and play on a computer without an installed hard drive, rather than using the boot disc. My friend says the new version of Ubuntu (18.04 I think) doesn't need jumping through the partitioning hoops and I may have better luck with that, but until he comes down from the north and burns me a disc it'll have to wait. I think the T440p is a sweet little laptop, sort of halfway in size between X201 and T520, 14" and the control buttons are built into the touchpad. Using that comes fairly naturally. What I don't appreciate is they've buried the drive bay and memory slots way deep and the whole bottom cover has to be removed to get at it. There's also an interior power source that has to be powered down before taking it apart and a cable inside to disconnect, whereas with the older ones you just pull the battery.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 6:06 pm
Ride a White Swan

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...What I don't appreciate is they've buried the drive bay and memory slots way deep and the whole bottom cover has to be removed to get at it. ...
We've put an SSD into four different devices now and not one method has been the same. One easy peasy.using the adaptor thing. Two quite easy, varying degrees of disassembly and screwing the SSD into the part the HDD was screwed into and one that needed so many screws removed, hidden screws and different parts to remove including keyboard and prising flimsy bits off.

Any suggestions for my question on the other thread?
Old Jul 28th 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Lenovo Thinkpad T450 14" HD+ LED Laptop, Intel Core i7-5600U Dual-Core 2.6GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10Pro

https://computers.woot.com/offers/le...5080_293917490

$400, just in case it is of interest.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought an HP laptop yesterday, it was only an i5 with 180 SSD and 16 GB ram for $180 from arrow direct.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.