Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

iPhone died aaaghhhhhh

iPhone died aaaghhhhhh

Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default iPhone died aaaghhhhhh

My iPhone 4 suddenly gave up the ghost and died yesterday.--- for no discernible reason.! The bad news being that I couldn't retrieve any of my data according the the very nice girl who happily sold me a new iPhone 8..Spitting mad doesn't cover it...Why is this deemed ok? YD says there is an option to be able to download your data to a memory stick.Never offered it...Is there really no way to retrieve my precious notes and photo's ?
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:26 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone died aaaghhhhhh

I heard something about the latest iOS update killing iPhones - not sure of the details.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a way to retrieve your notes and Photos, but this depends entirely on how the phone had been setup,and how often or by which method you made backups of your data.
Are you sure the phone is completely dead? Which software version was the 4 running?

If you use the same Apple ID for your new phone, and the old phone was setup in a conventional way, then all notes and photos should show up on the new phone.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
My iPhone 4 suddenly gave up the ghost and died yesterday.--- for no discernible reason.! The bad news being that I couldn't retrieve any of my data according the the very nice girl who happily sold me a new iPhone 8..Spitting mad doesn't cover it...Why is this deemed ok? YD says there is an option to be able to download your data to a memory stick.Never offered it...Is there really no way to retrieve my precious notes and photo's ?
I don't have an iPhone or any other handphone, but recall reading similar to THIS on a Mac related site. May help you out.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 12:27 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I heard something about the latest iOS update killing iPhones - not sure of the details.
The iPhone 4 is 8 years old, it won't have got an iOS update in years so that won't be the issue.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys ...some useful tips and ideas..
Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AND!.. The good news is I spent two and a half hrs with the techie yesterday afternoon... New iPhone 8 up and running and all data from my old phone transferred.. Turns out that the pesky iCloud 'pushes' I was getting several times an hour. were like...in his words... 'A toddler pulling your skirt for attention' It made no difference, iCloud was on and backing up.Phew! BUT only because I regularly plugged my phone into my computer to transfer photos.
Now I just need to sit down for about three years to understand all that it does.. ha

Thanks for all help and advice...

I'm lucky to have one of the only two world experts from Apple (the mentors who train the trainers) living half an hour away...
p.s Oh I forgot ,I have SIRI to do all that hard work now yeah

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 20th 2018 at 8:50 am.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
AND!.. The good news is I spent two and a half hrs with the techie yesterday afternoon... New iPhone 8 up and running and all data from my old phone transferred.. Turns out that the pesky iCloud 'pushes' I was getting several times an hour. were like...in his words... 'A toddler pulling your skirt for attention' It made no difference, iCloud was on and backing up.Phew! BUT only because I regularly plugged my phone into my computer to transfer photos.
Now I just need to sit down for about three years to understand all that it does.. ha

Thanks for all help and advice...

I'm lucky to have one of the only two world experts from Apple (the mentors who train the trainers) living half an hour away...
p.s Oh I forgot ,I have SIRI to do all that hard work now yeah
Glad you got it sorted. So you now have the iPhone8. What do you plan with the old iPhone4?
Here's a useful tip for anyone having problems with an older iphone, windows or Mac laptop: - iFixit. The free DIY manual. And HERE's the specific link for iPhone4 repairs, which in many cases can help to get things sorted.
Seriously, if anyone had asked me just a few years ago even to speed up a laptop by increasing RAM memory, I would have shied away in terror just at the thought.
However now used frequently that site has been a life-saver, and today I never hesitate in removing heat-sinks, logic boards or whatever's required during a refurbish of a Windows or Mac laptop - just for my own pleasure. Generally they're functional, picked up from thrift shops but needing tlc, which they get with a full refurbish, and then passed on to family members or given away elsewhere. I've restored over 50 vintage Macs and half a dozen IBM Thinkpads this way, and have retained most - much to the chagrin of the little lady - bless her!
Just this morning I picked up a Toshiba Tecra laptop (circa 2004) running WinXP, in superb condition complete with docking station & charger. Priced at just 15euros (17$US) I quickly grabbed the lot.
A few hrs later I'd cleaned everything inside especially the fan (always find they're partially clogged), re-pasted the CPU, added an additional 1gb memory stick, and it runs just fine and a lot cooler. Planned on replacing Windows with a Linux distro tomorrow. Should be interesting......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 20th 2018 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tweed pipe I would LOVE to have read all your interesting post... BUT a blasted vertical ribbon add kept completely blocking half of it ,despite it being 'zapped' by me to get lost
Its more than annoying.
All I could read really was your question about my old Iphone4... I have no plans for it.. It lies in a drawer now.

I spoke too soon about ALL data having been saved and transferred My photos weren't saved. I am now looking at ways to transfer them from my computer back to my iPhone8
several suggestions .but a 'hint' that I might lose other data if I do it?

Any ideas ..anyone ?
Old Jul 8th 2018, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nobody seems to have anything to say about I phone 8 ?
My new little toy is beginining to seriously annoy me. Still not sorted the photo problem out yet. ( been warned I could lose 'other' data if I try to download from computer to phone... what ?

All the shenanigans involved in setting up the phone ...ie fingerprint recognition, Siri, security code... makes zero difference when I open phone. Sometimes it accepts fingerprint, sometimes not ,only the code will do.?. It keeps giving me a 'push' to back up to iCloud... small problem iCloud button is not on my phone . Neither is it now on my computer since update to High Sierra...

I went to the 'problems with iPhone 8 page... Jeez How long have you got people.?
Ditto The problems with High Sierra..... Not only is it obsolete now.. but its caused a swathe of difficulties during its passing.. which don't seem to have been resolved.?

Are we headed for a black hole of tangled wires here?

Seriously thinking of buying one of those 'phone only ' models
Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty obvious that you first need to take a close look at your setup on (Mac) and Phone before doing anything. There is no reason to assume your photos are at risk.
iCloud setting has not disappeared, its just presented in a different way in the newer OS.

1. How did you backup your photos to Mac previously: a) Plugging a cable in and using iTunes b) plugging in a cable and use Image Capture c) backing up to iCloud Photo Library? (you can see this in SETTINGS under PHOTOS).

Problems with fingerprint recognition are common. Keep the screen clean with a soft microfibre cloth. If you keep getting errors, try resetting and using a different finger. This normally solves it.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Pretty obvious that you first need to take a close look at your setup on (Mac) and Phone before doing anything. There is no reason to assume your photos are at risk.
iCloud setting has not disappeared, its just presented in a different way in the newer OS.

1. How did you backup your photos to Mac previously: a) Plugging a cable in and using iTunes b) plugging in a cable and use Image Capture c) backing up to iCloud Photo Library? (you can see this in SETTINGS under PHOTOS).

Problems with fingerprint recognition are common. Keep the screen clean with a soft microfibre cloth. If you keep getting errors, try resetting and using a different finger. This normally solves it.

Hi Calman.. My original set up was done by the 'world expert' I talked about earlier. So am very surprised to find I now have problems

Always used to plug in via USB cable to iTunes. When consulting the online advice it was the same, except it said 'click on icon of iPhone in top right hand corner of iTunes home page.' and then follow instructions
Only problem with that was .. There isn't an iPhone icon... There was also a warning that in downloading photos to phone I could lose 'other data' not specified ?
If that mean't notes... no way i'm risking that again
I clean the phone every time I take it out with the special MF cloth I have.. makes no difference. to fingerprint recognition. Can't be bothered to rest it though. I am not in situation where its necessary anyway. Just another irritation
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

On your iPhone: If you check under SETTINGS, ACCOUNTS AND PASSWORDS, ICLOUD.

Make sure all the required services are switched ON. (iCloud Drive =ON) etc..

Under PHOTOS (select it with finger) Make sure all are on EXCEPT iCloud Photo Library (unless you specifically use this already).
If you have an iTunes subscription and plenty of capacity then it's not such a problem.

==

It's now safe to RESTORE from your old iPhone Backup from iTunes.

Start iTunes and plug in your phone.

A phone shaped icon will appear at the top left and your device will show up in the list.

Select the icon at the top.

Select RESTORE iPhone.

This will restore all your old files and Photo's.

Rechecking the iCloud settings will ensure your recent files are also synced.

All your photos should be available to view in PHOTOS on the Mac also.

If you use a time machine (external drive) on the Mac, then all your stuff will backup there also.