Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

How to stop autoplay, prevent them appearing in the first place

How to stop autoplay, prevent them appearing in the first place

Old Mar 29th 2020, 2:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to stop autoplay, prevent them appearing in the first place

I'm familiar with playing in the 'here be dragons' part of Firefox to prevent videos from autoplaying - but only limited success and I've seen add-ons that prevent autoplay with clicking on something to get it to play.

But is there a way to stop the damn things even coming up?

My favourite weather site is now sticking them on screen. It used to be that you could select the video feature if you want it. Now it's a bigger isplay than it was and if you scroll past it, the video then appears separately. You can close it but the moment y ou click on any other feature, it comes back again.

Of course, if you venture onto the daily mail site you're plagued with them there too.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to stop autoplay, prevent them appearing in the first place

You might like to try Chrome or even SAFARI for Windows..there may be some extra options in there..but also an Ad Blocker too..
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
You might like to try Chrome or even SAFARI for Windows..there may be some extra options in there..but also an Ad Blocker too..
I have ad blockers and they work well but these videos are part of the site,, just displayed differently to previously.

There's something about Chrome I don't like, although it came in handy for iPlayer because of the Beebs add-on.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure you can do it with safari.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 6:30 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Pretty sure you can do it with safari.
Maybe I'll take a look but I suspect I'm too old to change browsers now
Cheers.