Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Help needed - getting Skype to run on Linux

Help needed - getting Skype to run on Linux

Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:17 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Help needed - getting Skype to run on Linux

I would be very very grateful if someone could inform me how to get Skype working on Linux.

We got one of them little Acer Aspire One's as we are just using it for internet and Neil's cousin had one of these already and she is up and running on it.

When I got to the Skype for Linux page I clicked on Ubuntu 7.04 - 8.04 then it started to download.

I then went to files, then my downloads, then double click on Skype but.

The problem I'm having is that when I click on Skype it gives me a long list of codes.

I'm used to having Windows and double clicking on the shortcuts etc etc.

We would love to get in contact with the folks back in UK so anyone willing to get me up and running gets Karma

Cassie
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help needed - getting Skype to run on Linux

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000 View Post
I would be very very grateful if someone could inform me how to get Skype working on Linux.

We got one of them little Acer Aspire One's as we are just using it for internet and Neil's cousin had one of these already and she is up and running on it.

When I got to the Skype for Linux page I clicked on Ubuntu 7.04 - 8.04 then it started to download.

I then went to files, then my downloads, then double click on Skype but.

The problem I'm having is that when I click on Skype it gives me a long list of codes.

I'm used to having Windows and double clicking on the shortcuts etc etc.

We would love to get in contact with the folks back in UK so anyone willing to get me up and running gets Karma

Cassie
Where the hell are you girl? In canada already?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

unless you've done something funky, I think it really is a case of double clicking the file and it'll install itself...

though I thought the Acer One that had linux on it already had skype included?

Though check this out - http://www.medibuntu.org/
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:46 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Open a terminal in the directory where the downloaded file is and give the following command:

sudo dpkg -i skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb

It will prompt you for a password. If it doesn't work, post the output here.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I think it really is a case of double clicking the file and it'll install itself...
It's not bloody Windows!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
It's not bloody Windows!
I thought that was the whole point of the repository install packages...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:50 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I thought that was the whole point of the repository install packages...
The download on the Skype site is in a Debian package rather than an Ubuntu one. No idea whether it's in the repositories. But the Debian package manager (dpkg) should hopefully install it.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:54 am
Septicity

Just looked -- it's not there! She'd have to add a separate repository:
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
if she wanted to use the standard package manager.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:06 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
It's not bloody Windows!
I think this is my problem

We have been sold a reconditioned Acer and not been given a password for it so any downloads that I make I can't see.

Linux is a very programme and I am very very us to Windows, we went into three different computer stores yesterday including the one where we got the computer and none of them knew what to do.

The guys at Best Buy were the best at trying to get it fixed for me but like I said without the password its useless. They were trying to get round the backdoor to change the password but they couldn't remember how to do it.

So its going to go back to the shop, I now either want a refund or they get the bloody password, I mean business now
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

So its going to go back to the shop, I now either want a refund or they get the bloody password, I mean business now

good on you gal, you tell 'em!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:07 pm

I will play nice first give them a head start as I do like this machine, but without the password its not fit for use.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I will play nice first give them a head start as I do like this machine, but without the password its not fit for use.
it's always best to play nice...the easiest way to achieve things

Last edited by TruBrit; Nov 26th 2008 at 1:27 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post
it's always best to place nice...the easiest way to achieve things
Always nice me

I just don't like people to treat me like a fool, makes Cassie very angry :curse:
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:26 pm
Septicity

We have been sold a reconditioned Acer and not been given a password for it so any downloads that I make I can't see.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...otten+password
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:52 pm

Off to try this out, wish me luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.