Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Emails

Emails

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emails

My ISP is shortly going to stop hosting emails. gibraltar.gi
My account is IMAP.
After the ISP ceases to host will there still be a copy of my emails on my PC that I can access into the future?
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:07 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emails

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
My ISP is shortly going to stop hosting emails. gibraltar.gi
My account is IMAP.
After the ISP ceases to host will there still be a copy of my emails on my PC that I can access into the future?
You would be better archiving them to PDF and burning them to a disk for longevity.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
You would be better archiving them to PDF and burning them to a disk for longevity.
Thanks
Unfortunately I have no idea how to do as you sugest
I am using Thunderbird.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 11:33 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Unfortunately I have no idea how to do as you sugest
I am using Thunderbird.
There is an Export/Import add-on available for Thunderbird, but I have never used it, so have no idea if it would do what you need.

Thunderbird allows you to create a new local (on-disk) subfolder. Having set that up you could create subfolders below that to match your existing structure, and copy mails over from the IMAP source to the new local target.

It's not a very elegant solution, I suppose it depends on the number of folders in your IMAP account.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
There is an Export/Import add-on available for Thunderbird, but I have never used it, so have no idea if it would do what you need.

Thunderbird allows you to create a new local (on-disk) subfolder. Having set that up you could create subfolders below that to match your existing structure, and copy mails over from the IMAP source to the new local target.

It's not a very elegant solution, I suppose it depends on the number of folders in your IMAP account.
Thanks
What I am finding is there is conflicting information.as to where the emails are stored, POP is suposed to download to the PC whilst IMAP is suposed to leave them on the server which of couse I will shortly have no access to.
However if I unplug my PC from the internet I can still access my emails on my PC?
I have three machines all running Thunderbird which if I retain te emails on them is sufficient backup for my needs.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:36 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
What I am finding is there is conflicting information.as to where the emails are stored, POP is suposed to download to the PC whilst IMAP is suposed to leave them on the server which of couse I will shortly have no access to.
However if I unplug my PC from the internet I can still access my emails on my PC?
I have three machines all running Thunderbird which if I retain te emails on them is sufficient backup for my needs.
Yes, POP3 downloads the messages whereas IMAP holds them 'up there'. As far as still accessing the emails when disconnected from the internet, there is a cache involved as far as IMAP is concerned. Stay disconnected and reboot the PC, likely those emails will have 'gone' from view.

If you opt for the Thunderbird 'local folder' route, then the messages will only be visible on the PC that you use to do the deed, unless the 'local folder' is on some kind of shared (by your three machines) storage, such as NAS or even clunkier, an external USB disk.

Late edit: Just read the Important Notice from Sapphire, seems to have some helpful stuff...

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Dec 5th 2019 at 10:09 am.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily you are using thunderbird for your mail.

There is a simple example on youtube.

Best just to do this on one machine.

Later you can move them back to your (new) IMAP service if you like and sync across your 3 machines automatically via the new e-mail service.

Last edited by calman014; Dec 5th 2019 at 10:46 am.