Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Cheapo mobile for the Mrs.

Cheapo mobile for the Mrs.

Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheapo mobile for the Mrs.

I want to buy a functional but not flashy phone for the OH's birthday. I think it's going to be an LG K8, about £120 in the UK unlocked and sim-free.

Any comments?
Old Oct 5th 2018, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapo mobile for the Mrs.

Hi Novo,
Let me start by saying that I know very little about smartphones. I don't have one, in fact never carry a phone, although do keep an aged Samsung dumbphone in the car just in case for emergencies, and occasionally use it to correspond with sellers from LBCoin.
Back to your query. One of my HiTech magazines regularly rate PC's, smartphones and other high tech gadgets which I try to keep abreast of, and just checked on budget smartphone recommendations.
The LG K8 is highly rated in it's price range, so I guess would be a good choice. It's often compared favourably with the Nokia 3 which you may also wish to check out.
Reading the article a little closer, the LG is a little slimmer by several mm so would possibly be more suitable for a ladies handbag. It also has a slightly better camera resolution (13MP v 8MP), slightly lower battery spec (2500mAh v 2600mAh), and slightly slower cpu spec. However if I was a buyer in this market sector, I'd definitely go for the LG, simply because it has a removal battery.
Others far more knowledgeable than myself should be able to advise futher.
Not sure whether you plan to buy in France or the UK, but a quick glance on Amazon shows that a UK purchase would be a liitle more advantageous.
Be interesting to know what you decide on, and eventually how it performs.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 5th 2018 at 9:40 am.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 9:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapo mobile for the Mrs.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Hi Novo,
Let me start by saying that I know very little about smartphones. I don't have one, in fact never carry a phone, although do keep an aged Samsung dumbphone in the car just in case for emergencies, and occasionally use it to correspond with sellers from LBCoin.
Back to your query. One of my HiTech magazines regularly rate PC's, smartphones and other high tech gadgets which I try to keep abreast of, and just checked on budget smartphone recommendations.
The LG K8 is highly rated in it's price range, so I guess would be a good choice. It's often compared favourably with the Nokia 3 which you may also wish to check out.
Reading the article a little closer, the LG is a little slimmer by several mm so would possibly be more suitable for a ladies handbag. It also has a slightly better camera resolution (13MP v 8MP), slightly lower battery spec (2500mAh v 2600mAh), and slightly slower cpu spec. However if I was a buyer in this market sector, I'd definitely go for the LG, simply because it has a removal battery.
Others far more knowledgeable than myself should be able to advise futher.
Not sure whether you plan to buy in France or the UK, but a quick glance on Amazon shows that a UK purchase would be a liitle more advantageous.
Be interesting to know what you decide on, and eventually how it performs.
Thanks Tweedie. I'll be buying in the UK and putting a Virgin sim in (£5/month). I have a Virgin sim and find that it works well anywhere in Europe.