British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lab (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lab-99/)
-   -   Bookmarks problems - firefox (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lab-99/bookmarks-problems-firefox-943850/)

BristolUK May 6th 2022 12:08 pm

Bookmarks problems - firefox

Some time ago I discovered that Bookmarks I had saved had disappeared. I knew I had saved them, discovered they weren't there when I went to click, saved them again, checked they were there but then they may or may not disappear again.

In time, the problem was righted and I assumed this was one of those bugs that each firefox update says has been fixed.

A week or so back I found that when I clicked the Bookmark tab to save one, I would click on 'bookmark current tab' but the bookmark tab with details would not display. The only way I could get it to show up was to close firefox, re-open, restore the session to get the open tabs back, do it again and then it would work. But only as a one time per session thing.

I should point out at this stage that mostly what I'm bookmarking is a TV show and so I know where I am in a season, I will update to say something like "episode 5 seen" and also update the url to reflect a different episode or even that a subsequent season is on a different website. This is so I'm ready to watch next time.
For example, I had a bookmark saved for the show Tehran and the Season 2 is now available but on a different site to where I watched S1. So have tried amending the bookmark to the new site but it hasn't saved it. It still comes up as S1.

By closing firefox and re-opening it has now allowed me to save S2 on the alternative site, but, again, only a one time thing.

Of course, now I know this, I could just close and re-open and then do it. Of course I need to check that it is still there when firefox closes the next time because that may be the issue.

I've done a little checking and bookmarks not saving as well as changes to existing ones not being saved has some solutions but they seem to involve making changes to firefox itself that will change a ton of things that I do not want to change.

There is one solution where I need to get to something called places.sqlite via 'properties' but when I follow the route to get there, I'm not seeing properties as an option to open.

Should I just live with this for the time being and hope a bug will be fixed by a future update? Any other ideas?

I'm now about to close firefox to see if Tehran S2 is saved upon closure.

ETA...
The 'new' Bookmark of Tehran S2 has indeed saved.

To sum up then, I can save a new bookmark but only by closing firefox, re-opening and the bookmark feature works one time only but cannot make a change and save it. I click save and it looks like it it's taken the change but it hasn't.

I can create a new bookmark - closing, opening, one time - and I can make a note to say where I am (and then delete the previous one) but it's all bit fiddly for something that previously was so routine.

SpoogleDrummer May 6th 2022 2:43 pm

Re: Bookmarks problems - firefox

I just press the star in the address bar and it pops in the bookmarks sidebar instantly, never had one go missing but then I probably only have about 160 bookmarks . Are you using the sign in function in Firefox for saving and syncing stuff because I don't.

BristolUK May 6th 2022 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13112699)
I just press the star in the address bar and it pops in the bookmarks sidebar instantly, never had one go missing but then I probably only have about 160 bookmarks .

Just tried that and nowt happens. When it does work, does it give you the option of where to put it - like a specific folder - or it just goes in t he list?

Are you using the sign in function in Firefox for saving and syncing stuff because I don't.
Yes but I've been doing that for many years.

SpoogleDrummer May 6th 2022 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13112702)
Just tried that and nowt happens. When it does work, does it give you the option of where to put it - like a specific folder - or it just goes in t he list?

A window pops up and I can file it where I want
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e35ae41b1e.png

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13112702)
Yes but I've been doing that for many years.

Famous last words. Things like this are the very reason I don't use syncing features for Windows or Firefox. But then I don't use Firefox on anything other than my laptop so the benefits don't outweigh the potential issues for me such as the ones you're having. I use the syncing with Chrome purely because I use Chrome on my phone too and tbh I trust Google to be more reliable than I do Firefox for network issues etc.

BristolUK May 6th 2022 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13112710)
A window pops up and I can file it where I want

That looks the same as clicking the bookmarks tab then, but one click instead of two. I see Ctrl &D is a third option but only when it's working.

Famous last words. Things like this are the very reason I don't use syncing features for Windows or Firefox. But then I don't use Firefox on anything other than my laptop so the benefits don't outweigh the potential issues for me such as the ones you're having. I use the syncing with Chrome purely because I use Chrome on my phone too and tbh I trust Google to be more reliable than I do Firefox for network issues etc.
I'm afraid I'm too far gone with firefox to change. I have tried others at various times, including chrome, but I never got on with them. I have Opera as an alternative but only for minor use.

SpoogleDrummer May 6th 2022 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13112717)
I'm afraid I'm too far gone with firefox to change. I have tried others at various times, including chrome, but I never got on with them. I have Opera as an alternative but only for minor use.

I'm not suggesting you switch, it would be hypocritical of me as Firefox is my main browser. The main reason I have Chrome too is for Gmail, calendar and Google maps account for work as they all work seamlessly with Chrome. That ans the fact work provides me with an iPhone and I'd rather wash my balls with sandpaper than use Safari.

BristolUK May 6th 2022 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13112699)
Are you using the sign in function in Firefox for saving and syncing stuff because I don't.

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13112710)
Things like this are the very reason I don't use syncing features for Windows or Firefox...

To clarify...yes I sign in but not really for syncing purposes. I like that my bookmarks(and other settings, add-ons) will be the same if I need to use a different computer

For example I have Internet Download Manager on my back-up laptop. Occasionally, if there's a chronic buffering issue that makes a bookmarked show or movie unwatchable, I use IDM to download it to a thumbrive and then watch on the main laptop. Having it in the bookmark on both laptops - by means of syncing is then an advantage.

But it's very rare that I do that these days. The last time was way before these bookmark issues so I'm not really seeing the unused syncing aspect as something to blame.
.................................................. ................
I managed to find that places.sqlite thing mentioned in the first post and the solution involved making sure Read Only was not checked. It wasn't.

There was something there about deleting it or renaming it but I was a bit put off by the other stuff also required. It sounded a bigger nuisance.

BristolUK May 6th 2022 6:39 pm

Whisper it quietly but it seems okay now.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...00362ace2d.jpg

BristolUK Jul 3rd 2022 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13112741)
I managed to find that places.sqlite thing mentioned in the first post and the solution involved making sure Read Only was not checked. It wasn't.

There was something there about deleting it or renaming it but I was a bit put off by the other stuff also required. It sounded a bigger nuisance.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13112808)
Whisper it quietly but it seems okay now.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...00362ace2d.jpg

I meant to come back to shout. It wasn't okay.
Every time I want to amend the bookmark content Season 2, seen episode 2 to Season 2, seen episode 4 or note that I'm 60 minutes into a movie so I know where to carry on watching, I have to close firefox and reopen it to be able to make that change. It's the same if I want to add or delete a bookmark.

Once closed and reopened I might be able to change/add/delete a couple before having to close/reopen firefox to do it again.

As above, I deleted that places.sqlite thing but it made no difference. There was a similar solution that involved deleting something else and that didn't work either. Nor did renaming the existing one by adding "old" to it either.

I'm convinced one of the firefox updates has caused this and I've patiently been waiting for "the next one" to fix the bug but it's not happening.

Here's my possible fix...
Open my back up laptop and sync it so it exactly matches this one. I've not done that for several months.
Uninstall firefox from this one and then reinstall with the current version. Sign in and then get everything back so it matches the back up laptop - so not only bookmarks and add-ons included.

Most important is the size options - via a still partly working nosquint plus add on - which drive me mad when they are not right. I'd rather have to close and reopen firefox every time for the rest of my life than lose that.

I think I will add some meaningless bookmarks to see if I can delete/change them on the other laptop. That will, hopefully, indicate whether the problem is on this laptop or something on the firefox end of my account.

Does that make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?