Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

BBC Blocking all VPNs

BBC Blocking all VPNs

Old Dec 13th 2018, 11:42 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Blocking all VPNs

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
Fortunately my computer is in the room adjacent to my TV, a simple matter of connecting both with a HDMI cable. I guess the same would work using a laptop in the same room.

The Canadian TV stations have lost the rights to Champions League football (and the Premier League next season) so I'm already plugging my laptop into the TV to watch a stream.

But I already use the Beebs add-on with the Opera browser to watch BBC and do the same with the laptop and TV for Doctor Who. Anything really, when I want a bigger screen.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 9:33 am
Expat Migrant Remainer

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I am not in a hurry as I currently have BBC One and Two via my ISP. .
Ha ha ha, only this morning do I realise how stupid that post must read, I know what I'm talking about, but can I explain it properly???

I don't currently watch anything via my ISP, I should have said my cable provider, as it's set-top box, co-ax then HDMI to the AVR then on to TV.

There is a router installed next to the TV, but no room to put the laptop, hence messing around with woodwork.

It so happens that the cable provider and ISP are one and the same
Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

My experience with vpns is that they seem to work for several months and then kaput. I used Tunnelbear but it stopped working, same hola. I subscribe now to expressvpn and so far so good.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 11:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
It has BBC 0ne,Two and Four. They are shown live, but you can schedule in advance to record them and watch later, and even download to your HDD. Pay monthly you can always cancel if you don't like.
Yes it does show all the BBC programs.
Thanks, I'll have a look. The annual subscription seems to be easily the best deal except for some odd reason it comes with very limited download hours.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 9:04 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood View Post
My experience with vpns is that they seem to work for several months and then kaput. I used Tunnelbear but it stopped working, same hola. I subscribe now to expressvpn and so far so good.
Beebs still going great. Not sure how long I've had it...maybe a year?
Old Dec 15th 2018, 10:21 pm
Expat Migrant Remainer

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look. The annual subscription seems to be easily the best deal except for some odd reason it comes with very limited download hours.
It's cheap, I assume that download hours are monthly? Also doesn't specify number of screens (devices) eligible for that particular package.

I only want one screen, but definitely would want more than 2.5 hours download per month...

Will have another look next weekend.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 12:10 am
Somewhat uncouth

@ BuckinghamshireBoy
You are familiar with Norsemen on Netflix I take it?
Old Dec 17th 2018, 12:22 am
Expat Migrant Remainer

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
@ BuckinghamshireBoy
You are familiar with Norsemen on Netflix I take it?
Nope, don't have Netflix, so Norsemen doesn't ring any bell, although I imagine if it's Netflix then it wouldn't come up elsewhere on my radar?
Old Dec 17th 2018, 2:20 am
Somewhat uncouth

Nope, don't have Netflix, so Norsemen doesn't ring any bell, although I imagine if it's Netflix then it wouldn't come up elsewhere on my radar?
Season one available here (no sign in needed)

I confidently predict it's right up your street. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen_(TV_series)

I just watched a season two episode where they go around collecting income tax "or, as we call it, protection money"
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:40 pm
Expat Migrant Remainer

Season one available here (no sign in needed)

I confidently predict it's right up your street. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen_(TV_series)

I just watched a season two episode where they go around collecting income tax "or, as we call it, protection money"
Thank you for that. I finally got there having fought off all the job ad pages... I watched a chunk of the first episode, you're right I could get into it, but there's something 'odd' that I can't quite put my finger on. Will be hotelling it for the next few nights, so I'll give it another go.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 12:02 am
Somewhat uncouth

Thank you for that. I finally got there having fought off all the job ad pages....
I don't see those. uBlock origin seems to take care of anything that gets in the way for me on that site. I can see that 'something' tries to appear but it's gone before I can see it. Then I click again and I'm there.

I watched Killing Eve on that site before it was on BBC. The Looming Tower and both seasons of Patriot too.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 1:52 am
Expat Migrant Remainer

I don't see those. uBlock origin seems to take care of anything that gets in the way for me on that site. I can see that 'something' tries to appear but it's gone before I can see it. Then I click again and I'm there.

I watched Killing Eve on that site before it was on BBC. The Looming Tower and both seasons of Patriot too.
I enjoyed watching Killing Eve; Patriot ... I'm mixed here, maybe what I think of Patriot may not be the same as the one that you refer to.

How dare they? The toads! etc etc etc
Old Dec 18th 2018, 3:55 pm
Somewhat uncouth

I enjoyed watching Killing Eve; Patriot ... I'm mixed here, maybe what I think of Patriot may not be the same as the one that you refer to
This one.

It took me a couple of episodes to get the hang of it then I was hooked.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 9:51 pm
Expat Migrant Remainer

I finally got there having fought off all the job ad pages...
The first server in the list is rogue, #2 is fine.

I watched a chunk of the first episode, you're right I could get into it, but there's something 'odd' that I can't quite put my finger on.
It's the humour, I totally misread it on first watch, I think I was too hung up on the silly Norwegian accents. But now with the assicle and the holmgang and a few other things (the politeness!), I'm getting it.

Thank you again.

Patriot, nope that's not what I'm thinking of, maybe the one in my head is the Mel Gibson film.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 10:18 pm
Somewhat uncouth

It's the humour, I totally misread it on first watch, I think I was too hung up on the silly Norwegian accents.
I can't remember if I saw season one with subtitles or in English. I read somewhere that it was made in both languages but that might only have been after it was successful. S2 is definitely available in English. Sometimes they sound a bit Welsh.

Patriot, nope that's not what I'm thinking of, maybe the one in my head is the Mel Gibson film.
I discovered Patriot (the series) when I was reading a TV review in the guardian and someone who enjoyed Killing Eve recommended it. Similar not taking itself too seriously stuff. They were right.