Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

Adding an SSD to your laptop

Adding an SSD to your laptop

Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:10 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adding an SSD to your laptop

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Because the laptops I'm fixing up had spinning rust drives in them I'm going from 9mm to 7mm when putting in the ssd. Some still have the rails in them and some don't, and wonders can be done with cardboard or foam
I think you and BucksBoy were chatting about external SSDs from AliExpress the other week. I see they sell cases for those things and I thought if they're external, why aren't they encased anyway, like external hard drives.

But in the spirit of cardboard and foam, could they not just be put in a ziploc bag or paper envelope?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The idea is to make your new 7mm ssd fit in the bay you're taking the 9mm hard drive out of. It's thinner.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:29 am
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The idea is to make your new 7mm ssd fit in the bay you're taking the 9mm hard drive out of. It's thinner.
Yes, that would be the reference to 7mm with 9.5 mm adapter on the Crucial compatibility result. But it's the external drives that my flippant post was about. I saw what I can only describe as a naked flimsy little board (like a tiny circuit board) that would connect externally to the computer with separate prices for the case. Or sometimes they called it an enclosure.

To my uninformed eye this looked like you could buy the external drive and a separate protective case to keep it in.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 1:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
To my uninformed eye this looked like you could buy the external drive and a separate protective case to keep it in.
I have a 4tb and a 2tb expansion drive but they don't need cases. Of course, there are still cases for them for sale. You can get an enclosure, pop your loaded ssd or hdd into it, and it's an external drive. I have one on order, actually. Plug 'n play stuff is great. Because my little Lenovo x200 and x201 tablets don't have a cd/dvd drive I bought an external one and it's come in handy a few times.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-5-...ceBeautifyAB=0
Old Jun 18th 2018, 2:53 pm
Somewhat uncouth

I have a 4tb and a 2tb expansion drive but they don't need cases. Of course, there are still cases for them for sale. ...
Such lovely colours too. I'd get one just to look at.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 3:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Such lovely colours too. I'd get one just to look at.
You aren't waiting for legalisation, are you?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 3:59 pm
Somewhat uncouth

You aren't waiting for legalisation, are you?
Who needs drugs when you can just look at colourful drive enclosures?
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 2:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Looks like this is the pick of the day here so I'll go pick one up. Bristol, do you have a computer shop like OTV in Moncton?
https://otvtech.ca/index.php?option=...183&Itemid=119
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:07 am
Somewhat uncouth

Looks like this is the pick of the day here so I'll go pick one up. Bristol, do you have a computer shop like OTV in Moncton?
Pretty sure not.
I know of one shop that's quite good for repairs but judging by the prices they charge for other stuff it's not cheap.

There are a lot of one man operations around, including one I discovered last week operating from the upstairs unit of the duplex I used to own.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure not.
I know of one shop that's quite good for repairs but judging by the prices they charge for other stuff it's not cheap.

There are a lot of one man operations around, including one I discovered last week operating from the upstairs unit of the duplex I used to own.
I've used a couple of Transcend SATA III SSD's to install to MacBook Pros. These are also an excellent brand and when purchased about 9 months ago I paid about 40 euros (47$US) for the 128Gb model. I see on Amazon here the 240Gb models are now priced at a very reasonable 58euros (68$US), so I've just ordered one. I recommend 'em, especially at that price.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:25 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Quick question.
Once everything is copied to the SSD, is it worth trying to boot from the SSD externally before removing the HDD and installing the SSD?
Old Jun 30th 2018, 12:00 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Quick question.
Once everything is copied to the SSD, is it worth trying to boot from the SSD externally before removing the HDD and installing the SSD?
In my research this wasn't really covered but I did find on reference to doing it as if it did work.

So...I cloned my existing drive to the new Crucial SSD using Partition Wizard's Migrate to SSD. The result was 3 partitions even though the HHD was not partitioned. Odd, but everything was there. Does that immediately set off bells with anyone? I hadn't asked for that, I just took the simple copy the whole thing to target disc option.

Tried to boot externally having amended the Boot order so that the SSD was selected. I got that screen about possible errors and to either repair or open windows normally. The repair option made no difference, it happened again. Tried to boot normally, that didn't work either.

Now started wondering if there was indeed something that prevented an external boot, but decided to try cloning again before fitting the SSD.

2nd cloning was done using Crucial's downloaded tool. The result was the same size as before but not partitioned.
Also, with the SSD still attached from PW cloning, its presence was recognised alongside the C drive, but the Crucial cloned SSD was not recognised in the same way, although it was recognised by the remove hardware safely feature. That was odd too.

Changed the boot option to SSD and tried to boot externally. Got the same repair or open windows normally options. Tried the repair option, but as before got back to the same options.

Decided to insert/install the disc and see if that made a difference. Got the same repair or open normally options but this time, the open windows normally option worked. Hooray.

Turn on to password field time before was 30 seconds, now 14.
Input of password to appearance of desktop was 14 seconds, now 2.
Open time for Firefox was 30 seconds, now 14, with the tabs appearing near instantly.

Nice

But any idea whether the original cloning would have worked inside or was something wrong by the partitioning issue it caused.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 30th 2018 at 12:15 pm. Reason: oops...missed out the important part about sticking the new SSD inside. Ha.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 5:36 pm
Somewhat uncouth

So, between me and stepdaughter - she's better and quicker than me at the fiddly bits - we did migration to SSD on my older Gateway as above. Initially looked as if Partition Wizard tool failed (when tried externally) and redid it with Crucial's tool but that looked to have failed too (externally) but once installed it did work, so the PW may have worked after all.

The Crucial SSD didn't seem too badly priced but by the time US$ was converted to Canadian$, delivery was added and then import fees were collected it was around $100 for 120gb. I discovered Amazon would have been a bit less with no import fees but there was still delivery from USA. Amazon Canada would have been free delivery but as is usual up here, the initial cost is more.

But while looking, I came across a Kingston version, same 120gb, and $55 all in. So let's try it on my old netbook and see if I can get some use from it. Worked a treat, although Crucial's tool recognised it as not being their disc so we used PW.

I ordered two more (240gb this time) for stepkids. The first was problematic, seemingly due to the way the HD had previously been partitioned. A bit of merging/deleting/whatever resolved that and it's okay.

But the last one doesn't want to play ball. The laptop sees it externally and it all looks like an exact copy. But when installed there is apparently nothing bootable.

We've tried recloning. EaseUs will apparently only allow cloning of parts of the HD. The option to migrate/clone the whole just is not enabled so cannot be selected. The only free one found so far that looks as if it will do it is Partition Wizard and while it looks like mission accomplished, we still get nothing bootable.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 23rd 2018 at 5:39 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 6:52 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Used an expert. Turned out there were errors on the original HDD that prevented successful cloning.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Used an expert. Turned out there were errors on the original HDD that prevented successful cloning.
That was annoying. However it's always good, and sometimes a relief to find out what was causing the problem.