Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

*** WARNING - WIN 10 latest upgrade ***

*** WARNING - WIN 10 latest upgrade ***

Old May 21st 2018, 8:38 am
European Expat Migrant

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default *** WARNING - WIN 10 latest upgrade ***

Big upgrade around for Win 10 has just bricked my flagship machine.

It gives one plenty of "this will involve several restarts", "choose a time" warnings then goes base over apex of the 5th or 6th restart about 75% through - 2 hours in.

Restart screens all fail "choose a keyboard", pick a restart point or roll back, have several, everything fails.

Can't locate my repair DVD - tidied away by the women, - but have found a goodness knows how old system image on an external disk, so about to give that a go -

Silly boy didn't note upgrade number, might have contained 310 ???
Old May 21st 2018, 11:00 am
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *** WARNING - WIN 10 latest upgrade ***

I had W10 updates on 8/5 and 18/5. Nothing close to a 310.

Ah...version 1803 perhaps?

Last edited by BristolUK; May 21st 2018 at 11:05 am.
Old May 21st 2018, 11:29 am
European Expat Migrant

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I had W10 updates on 8/5 and 18/5. Nothing close to a 310.

Ah...version 1803 perhaps?
Also had a couple of mini-updates recently, but 1803 could be the one, yes.

Shafted my C drive completely, I could get to D (Sony Recovery) but couldn't find anything useful...

Found an old System image for C drive, currently restoring that, will be a few hours yet to see what's gone awol..

Grrr!

More later.
Old May 21st 2018, 12:17 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's enough to put you off

What a long list!!!
Old May 21st 2018, 1:14 pm
European Expat Migrant

It's enough to put you off

What a long list!!!
I found exactly the same article and got really quite angry. Was anyone warned?

The joke about that 'how to fix problems' article was that it assumed that one had a bloody OS to work with.

Luckily I brought this HP backup machine up to speed a couple of weeks ago (I only used it for streaming beforehand) so at least I've got a 'third eye'.

I've got something back up now on the big Vaio, obviously been a bit remiss on taking a system image backup recently, but all kinds of updates are now kicking in so I'll leave it be for a bit and start re-patching it tomorrow.

I keep 90% of my data up on the SAN/NAS, so that should be ok. They'll be bunch of stuff that I haven't yet filtered before putting up on the SAN, so that's gone, quite a few cosmetic changes as well.

That's definitely the worst I can remember seeing out of Microsoft.
Old May 21st 2018, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I have seen that update...and now hoping I don't. Scary.
Old May 21st 2018, 9:52 pm
European Expat Migrant

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Not sure I have seen that update...and now hoping I don't. Scary.
Just make sure to take a full image backup beforehand if it comes knocking on your door.
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Got back from out of town after 4 months to be told by Windows I needed to upload to the new version.

After many tries when it wasted hours of my time and always stopped almost at the end of the process, my computer finally froze.

$175.00 at my local computer repair store.
Old May 22nd 2018, 11:59 am
Somewhat uncouth

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Just make sure to take a full image backup beforehand if it comes knocking on your door.
I've posted elsewhere about new versions of firefox not being compatible with various add-ons and not wanting to lose the convenience of them. I have previously rolled back to versions of firefox and add-ons that were compatible and blocked the updating. But there comes a point when when gets fed up of being reminded/prompted and or there's some security update or something that can't be installed to something outdated. You can't fight City Hall.

So imagine you back up your W10 before 1803 kicks in and then you're glad you did so because 1803 brings about Armageddon.

You recover everything and all is good. But what happens when you're offered 1803 again, keep rejecting it? What happens with future updates and fixes that are dependent on already running version 1803? Or does that not happen?
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit embarrassed that I still use Windows 7 (Professional), but after reading all that I'm glad I do! What I've never had, I don't miss.
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted elsewhere about new versions of firefox not being compatible with various add-ons and not wanting to lose the convenience of them. I have previously rolled back to versions of firefox and add-ons that were compatible and blocked the updating. But there comes a point when when gets fed up of being reminded/prompted and or there's some security update or something that can't be installed to something outdated. You can't fight City Hall.

So imagine you back up your W10 before 1803 kicks in and then you're glad you did so because 1803 brings about Armageddon.

You recover everything and all is good. But what happens when you're offered 1803 again, keep rejecting it? What happens with future updates and fixes that are dependent on already running version 1803? Or does that not happen?
Microsoft has a 'Troubleshooter' utility that works in the same way the 'Hide Update' feature works in Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ling-in-window

Toward the bottom of the article is a link to the package. Run it periodically and hide the updates. It won't install them or keep nagging you to install them.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:28 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Microsoft has a 'Troubleshooter' utility that works in the same way the 'Hide Update' feature works in Windows 7.

Toward the bottom of the article is a link to the package. Run it periodically and hide the updates. It won't install them or keep nagging you to install them.
Yes, I vaguely recall reading there was a way to do that. With W7 I used to hide the nagware updates for W10. But since I changed to W10 (I still have my previous W7 laptop that still works great) I just let it all update.

I think that if I worried about these things to the point I took action about it I'd be in a constant state of OMG, what if....

I actually have very little to lose. I have a load of movies/tv downloaded not yet watched but they're on an external HD. When I first had a computer (my trusty 3gb ) and it crashed, needing a re-install of W98, the biggest loss to me was my bookmarks. But that's all easy now with Browser accounts.

I have a couple of spreadsheets (the major one I no longer maintain as I don't have a rental property anymore) that I can save onto a thumbrive and/or send to my gmail periodically if so inclined. I remember reading people doing this for things like passport or insurance docs.

But what about the second part though...if 1803 is never installed, does that impact future updates? There's another biggie coming up later in the year.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:33 pm
Somewhat uncouth

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I was a bit embarrassed that I still use Windows 7 (Professional), but after reading all that I'm glad I do! What I've never had, I don't miss.
You shouldn't be embarrassed. Last time I read anything about it there are still more W7 users than 10. Just 2 years of support left.

My biggest worry about 10 was everything looking and behaving differently but I barely notice it outside of the Start menu.

Don't you have 10 on your Stream though?
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:51 pm
European Expat Migrant

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post

Many thanks for this, your timing is impeccable!

I was just about to post "Oh good grief, they've really got it in for me " as the dreaded message appeared on my backup machine.

Give me a bloody chance to get the other machine back...

Breathing space restored.

I suppose I had better try and get this sodding update through on the main machine... at least I know I can (hopefully) get back to where I was two months ago.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:54 pm
European Expat Migrant

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
You shouldn't be embarrassed. Last time I read anything about it there are still more W7 users than 10. Just 2 years of support left.

My biggest worry about 10 was everything looking and behaving differently but I barely notice it outside of the Start menu.

Don't you have 10 on your Stream though?
I went looking for a Win7 disc this morning... the cupboard was bare...

Must revisit Linux, I really don't need this.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.