Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Originally Posted by FenTiger

I think one of these three will win: Brazil, Uruguay or Germany. England will only get as far as the quarter finals.
Haha and I thought I was indecisive. That, as far as the kids tell me, is not allowed and you MUST pick only one team.

I'm hedging my bets between Carrot_cruncher's team of choice Spain and the home nation, Brazil. Of course, had Scotland made it through, we would have won hands down
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I laughed when told that within a few months I would become the proverbial soccer mum but it happened! We have academy and team trials this week and will cover around 300 miles going to them but as you say, no matter what your children excel at, you have to encourage them
You're obviously a wonderful Mum. Sounds like your child (ren) may be considered sports talented then if they are going for trials. MrBEVS had trials as a young'un. Both for footie and rugby union. He couldn't keep the training going though. It was all miles away and his family had no transport.

You are right. It is something to encourage.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bev, thanks, I've often said that if the only thing I achieve in life is to be a good parent then anything else is a bonus.

Sorry to hear about MrBev and know exactly what you mean as should she get accepted, we will have to have a LONG chat about living on porridge and pasta for a couple of years to fund it.
Just hoping the injury doesn't affect her too much, if the pain goes down she then has to decide whether to risk trialing and possibly worsening it before it's healed properly It's all new to me as none of the other three are in the least sporty - I have a creative one who is now a photographer, an intellect who wants to be a History professor or put the world to rights and my little scientist (though he's taller than me now!) who says he will be a physicist or a neurosurgeon. So a real mixture but all just really nice, well mannered and down to earth children - I have been very fortunate with them.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I love football prefer league stuff but internationals are a nice summer distraction and am gutted to be spending next week chasing a boat around France for a project but the late kick offs will help, but not for the early morning photo shoots!

It is a tough call this time round and there is the old adage that no European team has won a World Cup in South America, but I think that is largely irrelevant now as the last one was held there in 1986 and footballers are fitter stronger and much more physically capable now.

I think Argentina will do well as will Germany although they could have a tough draw against a very difficult and talented Belgium side in the 2nd round unless they win there group.

Brazil will be difficult to beat with home advantage but I don't think they are particularly strong this time round, so I will say Argentina but a nice outside flutter on Belgium if they can negotiate a tricky 2nd round match against either Portugal or Germany.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by llareggub

I think Argentina will do well as will Germany although they could have a tough draw against a very difficult and talented Belgium side in the 2nd round unless they win there group.

Brazil will be difficult to beat with home advantage but I don't think they are particularly strong this time round, so I will say Argentina but a nice outside flutter on Belgium if they can negotiate a tricky 2nd round match against either Portugal or Germany.
Daughter thinks Portugal over Belgium though says they do have quite a strong team especially Eden Hazard. She agrees with you that Argentina are a good bet and they're her choice for the final if not to win.

She says Italy are worth keeping an eye on with a strong midfield and Balotelli upfront.

It seems that we will be watching every match if she has her way!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Daughter thinks Portugal over Belgium though says they do have quite a strong team especially Eden Hazard. She agrees with you that Argentina are a good bet and they're her choice for the final if not to win.

She says Italy are worth keeping an eye on with a strong midfield and Balotelli upfront.

It seems that we will be watching every match if she has her way!
I'll be trying my best but them 3am kick offs will kill our work on the corps in the morning

I think Italy will go strong but not strong enough form me the key for them is Andrea Pirlo in midfield, if he can still rock it at the age of 35 then they will be there or there about!

I just have an inkling about the Belgium team it is a left field punt but they ooze quality all over the pitch, where as Portugal are much weaker and they have a young chap called Kompany capable of keeping Ronaldo quiet if he is not at his best! In all fairness if Ronaldo is at his best then it makes no difference who is against him he will tear them apart!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being in Brussels in the Grande Place (sp) for the 2002 world Cup. Turkey beat South Korea in the semi finals and the city went crazy in a really positive and friendly way. I still have my Belgium football shirt should they get through this year
I'd love to think that England will get through but I'm not holding my breath :/
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
I remember being in Brussels in the Grande Place (sp) for the 2002 world Cup. Turkey beat South Korea in the semi finals and the city went crazy in a really positive and friendly way. I still have my Belgium football shirt should they get through this year
I'd love to think that England will get through but I'm not holding my breath :/
I have flash backs of standing in the fountain in St Etienne, 1998, soaking wet in a tartan mini skirt and signing Flower of Scotland with 100's of Moroccan and Scottish supporters. Even in defeat us Scots knew how to party - the rest of the night is but a blur......

You have to have hope Paul - along with copious amounts of alcohol
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

The hope will diminish as the alcohol increases and reality sets in I'm sure
Really looking forward to this weekend's fixture between England and Italy with a group of local expats, watched on Sunday lunchtime so no spoilers please ...just hope my wife knows she's driving

Last edited by PaulinEger; Jun 11th 2014 at 8:38 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:43 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Best not go online till you've watched it as that will be fatal!!!

We're hoping to stay awake for it have a long day of travelling Saturday so will be done in
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Just heard on the news there's a huge screen on the beach just down the road from the trials so looks like we might be watching it there
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

As I say I have never gone huge on internationals but i am both afraid and intrigued by the 'footie special' that is running in October from a local train station to Bucharest for the Hungary Romania euro qualifier... It is only 10,000 huf plus entry, I think afraid will win the day though
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by llareggub
As I say I have never gone huge on internationals but i am both afraid and intrigued by the 'footie special' that is running in October from a local train station to Bucharest for the Hungary Romania euro qualifier... It is only 10,000 huf plus entry, I think afraid will win the day though
That has to be a must do! Think of the memories you'll make if nothing else - not sure I would take the camera though!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Maybe if the person I would be going with was a little more level headed I may be tempted

I started attending footie matches in the late 80's just as football violence in the UK was tempering but still a common occurrence and have witnessed and been trapped in some rather unpleasant incidents that I care not to revisit. Some aspects of football out here in Central Europe are still stuck in a sorry past that football is better without in my opinion...

Plus I don't think I would get much rest in the quiet carriage

But who knows I may get drunk one afternoon and hand over my moolah and end up with a ticket!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I have flash backs of standing in the fountain in St Etienne, 1998, soaking wet in a tartan mini skirt and signing Flower of Scotland with 100's of Moroccan and Scottish supporters. Even in defeat us Scots knew how to party - the rest of the night is but a blur......

You have to have hope Paul - along with copious amounts of alcohol
I'd like to see Rural SIGNING Flower of Scotland! Come on Rural ...put that mini tartan skirt and get cracking ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.