Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:32 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Having spent most of my life trying to avoid anything to do with football, my daughter is now training and playing 3-4 times a week and I think I'm slowly becoming a soccer mum - assuming that's a US phrase?

So, I can't let the finals commence without mentioning them and asking who will be watching and who is going to win?
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Football I for one will be staying as far away from football as possible. Luckily no one in the family wants anything to do with it either
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Football I for one will be staying as far away from football as possible. Luckily no one in the family wants anything to do with it either
Sorry we asked.....
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:31 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

There was I thinking this was a safer topic than politics

Must admit, apart from the World Cup, I would never allow it on the tv if I was in the room - now I even watch the womans football and know all the positons and football terms
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely, Hungary must win with Ferenc Puskas playing the ghost soccer , He, he.......he was one of the greatest players of all time. In 1952 he became Olympic champion and he led the Hungarian nation to the final of the 1954 World Cup. He was named the tournament's best player. Hungary never got a footballer like him ever since....So I suppose that is the reason why Hungary did not qualify yet again.

Whoever wins, it will be fun combined with lots of noisy men's from Mars. Just pray ( I still have to work it out how) that my husband will not get obsessed with watching it on his own. I think I am going to surprise him with a cheap flight to travel back home and watch the cup with his friends, mostly teachers and lecturers, who should be all available during the summer school holiday.

How long will this world cup last? I am going to move to a hotel for that period.

LZ x
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:31 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Having spent most of my life trying to avoid anything to do with football, my daughter is now training and playing 3-4 times a week and I think I'm slowly becoming a soccer mum - assuming that's a US phrase?

So, I can't let the finals commence without mentioning them and asking who will be watching and who is going to win?
The telly will be on in the kocsma & there will be plenty of soccer on. I wonder how the time of matches fits in though. The opening match is at 17.00 hours Brazil local time but 22.00 hours Hungarian time.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:39 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
The telly will be on in the kocsma & there will be plenty of soccer on. I wonder how the time of matches fits in though. The opening match is at 17.00 hours Brazil local time but 22.00 hours Hungarian time.
Englands matches are at, I think, 17.00, 21.00 and 23.00 GMT not ideal times for a BBQ and football
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I'm not normally a football fan but I usually try and get as many matches as I can in during the World Cup and European Cup, so every two years. I look forward to the time when the old and adopted countries will both qualify. Dare I say I can't see England getting beyond the quarter finals?

Since we moved here and have a much bigger garden than the one we left behind, my son is now football mad and every attempt is made to get me into the garden for a kick-around.

It doesn't help that his cousin is in the Győri ETO FC academy so he has someone to emulate.

Hoping I don't have to become a soccer dad on the sidelines at the weekend but if he's any good then it has to be encouraged.

Regards
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi carrotcruncher, are you living near Gyor area as you mentioned your cousin playing for ETO. My grandson is playing in the Otteveny village football team, not quite the same standard . He is good runner but not the most coordinated hand to eye. But he is only 11" so we do not expect him to become Puskas.

Enjoy watching the cup final. I am a rugby widow myself, but I am sure my husband will want to watch the football. Have a good summer!
Regards
LZ x
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:32 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Carrot_Cruncher

Hoping I don't have to become a soccer dad on the sidelines at the weekend but if he's any good then it has to be encouraged.

Regards
I laughed when told that within a few months I would become the proverbial soccer mum but it happened! We have academy and team trials this week and will cover around 300 miles going to them but as you say, no matter what your children excel at, you have to encourage them

I notice nobody is committing to who they think will win Agree that England might make it through to the quarter finals though doubtfully any further as they are likely to come up against Spain.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I notice nobody is committing to who they think will win Agree that England might make it through to the quarter finals though doubtfully any further as they are likely to come up against Spain.
I wouldn't mind seeing England win, of course, but with my new home country not qualifying, I would be supporting Spain and sticking my neck out - tip them to win again.

To clarify, about the same time as I came into contact with Hungarians many years ago, during a few years spent in London, I also made many Spanish friends and visited Salamanca several times. I only wish my Hungarian was on a par with my Spanish (and as easy to learn, although that is subjective of course). Under different circumstances this post could have been on the Spanish forum.

Regards,
CC
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lady Zelda
Hi carrotcruncher, are you living near Gyor area as you mentioned your cousin playing for ETO. My grandson is playing in the Otteveny village football team, not quite the same standard .
Hello LZ,

We are an hours drive to the east of Gyor in Komaron Eszetergom megye. Please forgive me for not mentioning exactly where for now as my wife doesn't like posting family details on the Internet. (No disrespect to anyone in the forum).

The lad in question is my wifes nephew who used to play for and outgrew local teams before being scouted by ETO. My son adores him and who knows where his football adventure will take him. I think there is a little more supreme belief than ability and his school coach wants him to play but he refuses. He likes to play with the older boys in the school who are only to happy to accommodate him but he thinks the local team isn't very good. We told him to put his money where his mouth is and go and improve it.

Regards,
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be watching as many matches as I can. The kick off times are not all great but I can still record them and watch later.

I think one of these three will win: Brazil, Uruguay or Germany. England will only get as far as the quarter finals.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Carry this on and you will be banned LZ. You were not blackmailed, you were warned that if you continued to break forum rules that you would be banned.
Regards, not yours but GB's thread, you were requested by PM to edit and remove the personal comments, you were again advised that by not doing so, you risked causing the thread to be removed. You did not do so and so the thread was removed.

Your most recent post will also be removed.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Zelda
No matter how often you delete my messages I will act and complain to your superiors.
You might want to note that it wasn't Rural Hungary that deleted your last few posts - it was Sue, who *is* our 'Superior', as she is the Site Admin.

Feel free to contact her if you have an issue, and your lawyer, although quite what legal grounds you have for any action is beyond me.

Now, let's get this thread back on track shall we? Please don't post again unless it's to do with the World Cup - take it to PM if you have an issue.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.