Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

What do you miss?

What do you miss?

Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you miss?

So back to England next week for a trip to see family and friends but also have a list of things to do and buy. What do you have on your list when you go back?
My list:

1. Full English breakfast in a Wetherspoons
2. An Indian takeaway
3. Buy medicines - Rennies, Zantac, Savlon
4. Waterstones - to buy schoolbooks to help with teaching English
5. Asda - gravy granules, stuffing, decaf coffee, tea bags
6. Clothes shopping - TKMaxx, Next, Primark and of course M&S
7. Apple store - operating system software
8. Trip to cinema
9. Christmas cards

Interestingly an expat friend of mine recently did a mammoth shop in Asda in the Midlands.
When at the till he mentioned the the checkout assistant might be wondering why he had such a strange trolley load. She said not at all they have expats buying stuff all the time!!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you miss?

I have only been back the the UK on a handful of occasions in the last 6 years and most of them have been this year.

The only thing on my definite list is Fish and Chips from a proper chippy, although I always sneak in a few tubes of Salt and Vinegar Pringles into my suitcase on the occasions where my wife has not been with me... Ever the romantic
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
I have only been back the the UK on a handful of occasions in the last 6 years and most of them have been this year.

The only thing on my definite list is Fish and Chips from a proper chippy, although I always sneak in a few tubes of Salt and Vinegar Pringles into my suitcase on the occasions where my wife has not been with me... Ever the romantic
I'd avoid Pringles if I was you ...... I have gone right off them since discovering they were giving me stomach ache and making me ill ...... also I looked up on the internet how they are made .... Eeekkkk!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

CathyG - you're putting me off retiring to Hungary ..... only kidding!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'd avoid Pringles if I was you ...... I have gone right off them since discovering they were giving me stomach ache and making me ill ...... also I looked up on the internet how they are made .... Eeekkkk!
They were not for me, but they are wifeys favourite munchy... I always find it helps to be ignorant about guilty pleasures
Old Oct 18th 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

They were not for me, but they are wifeys favourite munchy... I always find it helps to be ignorant about guilty pleasures
I'm really sorry but please discourage your wife from eating them. Guilty pleasures shouldn't come into it. I suggest you google how they are made and what's in them.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm really sorry but please discourage your wife from eating them. Guilty pleasures shouldn't come into it. I suggest you google how they are made and what's in them.
I will do no such thing...

1) As a smoker it would be incredibly hypocritical of me to inform my wife that she should not consume the some dozen or so packets of Pringles She has consumed in the last 6 years.

2) Having read a few bits on the web I am far less concerned about Pringles than much of the rest of the rubbish that happens within the food chain.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Chinese with the children last night and daren't think of the amount of MSG and other goodies in it. Just as well it a rare treat!

Cathy, for me it's

numerous spices from asafetida to methi
a strong, mature cheddar
back bacon
haggis
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are in Budapest Nemo Fish and chips and salad bar Lovőhaz Uta. Between Mammut Shopping Certer1 and 2 go 100 metres on right hand side, the are good not as UK but it's beater than flying back.
I wans went out with a young lady from a Fish and Chip shop when I got hear home, Hear Dad Battered me... digerg47
Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chips from the chippy has always been top of my list

followed by ....

Fresh crab and mustard and cress sandwiches
Eccles cakes
Bakewell tart
South African curry powder
Herbs to make biryani
Blackcurrants
New Zealand lamb chops
Roses Lime marmelade

and ...

at least one meal in a good Indian restaurant!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Chiswick76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marks & Spencer sandwiches
Wilkinson's
Reading the Sunday paper in the pub
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by digger47
If you are in Budapest Nemo Fish and chips and salad bar Lovőhaz Uta. Between Mammut Shopping Certer1 and 2 go 100 metres on right hand side, the are good not as UK but it's beater than flying back.
I wans went out with a young lady from a Fish and Chip shop when I got hear home, Hear Dad Battered me... digerg47
I'll be in Budapest in a few weeks Digger so will test out your recommendation and let you know how I get on.

Every time I return to the UK I must have a Greggs cheese and onion pasty. When I was there a few weeks back they were on offer at two for 99p. Well it would have been rude not to have two wouldn't it?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rammy100
I'll be in Budapest in a few weeks Digger so will test out your recommendation and let you know how I get on.

Every time I return to the UK I must have a Greggs cheese and onion pasty. When I was there a few weeks back they were on offer at two for 99p. Well it would have been rude not to have two wouldn't it?
I WILL GIVE IT 10 OUT 10 the cost Nagy Fish and Chip 1,790fh= 4.65 pounds it was Cod Picas wedge chips and on the side of plate was small containers of tarter sauce and two others Now monthly pension day down their but I will order the Tiche to much on plate digger47 do not forget to bring Vinegar
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by digger47
I WILL GIVE IT 10 OUT 10 the cost Nagy Fish and Chip 1,790fh= 4.65 pounds it was Cod Picas wedge chips and on the side of plate was small containers of tarter sauce and two others Now monthly pension day down their but I will order the Tiche to much on plate digger47 do not forget to bring Vinegar
Bring your own Vinegar

Still may give it a shot next time we are in the big city, probably one more trip for us before Christmas

Incidentally Rural I find Azsiabolt just round the corner from the grand market hall a wondrous place for spices and other oddities I miss from living in one of the most culturally diverse parts of Birmingham

Last edited by llareggub; Oct 21st 2014 at 2:04 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:11 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally Rural I find Azsiabolt just round the corner from the grand market hall a wondrous place for spices and other oddities I miss from living in one of the most culturally diverse parts of Birmingham

Cheers, I think I posted a link to their shop on here for somebody though I've never been myself. I ended up ordering in bulk from Spice of India who deliver to Hungary and if ordering for a few of us, we split the delivery cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.