Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

We've started a new business

We've started a new business

Old Nov 8th 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've started a new business

We've lived here for more than 7 years and have been teaching English for pretty much the whole time. Unfortunately, teaching (without a masters degree in teaching) is proving more and more difficult. So, we've decided to take the plunge and try and secure a more regular income. Teaching is great during term time, we both enjoy our jobs but financially it's a rollercoaster. When we work we earn good money but when there's no school we earn nothing.
So....in our village there are 2 pubs, one is a very nice, recently renovated place the other is a traditional kocsma. The owner of the kocsma has given up the lease after 20 years so we've taken it over
So far it's been a nightmare trying to get the correct information to get the paperwork together but we're getting there ...slowly. On top of that we've been working every day, getting the place ready for the re-opening. The whole place was really dirty so everything has had to be repainted (up to 3 times).
We are planning on opening on November 21st.
...As if it hadn't been difficult enough living here
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've started a new business

Wish you all the very best!
Is this where you live - a bit too far from us for a quick visit ?
Bükkszékfürdő
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you...and yes, that's where we live
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and pop in next year I am in Malyi. I'll be there this Christmas but won't be hiring a car so unless one of the in-laws offers to drive me there .....
Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your adventure. Sounds very exciting. Does the pub have a website/facebook page?
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you both.
We have a Facebook page - Roadhouse Sorozo and will have a website in due course.

Admin..please note, I am not trying to advertise or promote my new business here. I am merely sharing my experiences as an expat in a small village in Hungary.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good. It's not an area I'm ever likely to get to but if I do, I'll pop in for a beer. Very best of luck.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Saw your site on Facebook ..... I got a feeling a son of Hungarian friends of ours and his friends will probably be paying your kocsma a visit. It's right up their street!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The more the merrier
Old Nov 25th 2015, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interested to see how this goes! Being self employed comes across as very complicated.

One of our plans if we go EU funded route is to be a small business and we are still in the dark about how different this would actually be from Ostermelo!!

Still, your own pub would be fun?
Old Nov 26th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Complicated doesn't even come close' It's been an absolute nightmare trying to get things going, getting the correct paperwork together and dealing so many people who haven't got a clue what they are doing :/
Now that we're open we have new challenges....dealing with the accountancy, trying to make sure the cash register balances perfectly every day, waiting for the undercover checks from NAV and customs and excise. Not to mention a very jealous and greedy competitor who will stop at nothing apparently to try and make us go under.
Aside from that, we had a fantastic first night attended by more than we could have hoped for. I was thrown in at the very deep end, having to serve behind the bar for the first time due to the amount of people and without any experience (fortunately, I learn quickly!).
This week i have found the work to go from one extreme to the other. It's either deadly quiet or crazy busy but I'm finding my understanding of Hungarian improving which means that my speaking should also improve
Old Nov 27th 2015, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Complicated doesn't even come close' It's been an absolute nightmare trying to get things going, getting the correct paperwork together and dealing so many people who haven't got a clue what they are doing :/Now that we're open we have new challenges....dealing with the accountancy, trying to make sure the cash register balances perfectly every day, waiting for the undercover checks from NAV and customs and excise. Not to mention a very jealous and greedy competitor who will stop at nothing apparently to try and make us go under.Aside from that, we had a fantastic first night attended by more than we could have hoped for. I was thrown in at the very deep end, having to serve behind the bar for the first time due to the amount of people and without any experience (fortunately, I learn quickly!).This week i have found the work to go from one extreme to the other. It's either deadly quiet or crazy busy but I'm finding my understanding of Hungarian improving which means that my speaking should also improve
Well good look and all the best, now then I wish to pas on one thing I have friends in Pace whom travel up to Budapest and we meet up when over in the Caledonia Scottish Bar last time we where there they that is pub was under ivestergation and possibility of break drinks regulation there offence was that they had the same brand of Spirts moore then once on display on the bar they wear not aware of breaking regulations but you are only allowed to display one spirt at a time in his defence he was stating with the bar being very hard to keep spirts off the bar area as theree lots in there whanting drinks I am not sure of amy punishments so probly worth looking in to. ps i miss the Cider houses in Somerset digger 47
Old Nov 27th 2015, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I do hope your competitor doesn't get nasty, it can really escalate.

Good luck and as an ex-barman myself don;t let the occaisional bad customer get to you!

I read that the Caledonia got into trouble over a bottle of whisky in the kitchen being used for cooking and they were eventually cleared and allowed to get back into business.

I think we need to have a good accountant!!
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Oh, I do hope your competitor doesn't get nasty, it can really escalate. Good luck and as an ex-barman myself don;t let the occaisional bad customer get to you! I read that the Caledonia got into trouble over a bottle of whisky in the kitchen being used for cooking and they were eventually cleared and allowed to get back into business. I think we need to have a good accountant!!
Yep closed down now moved around the corner Becket,s irish Bar and closed re-opend Akvarium got invite for the 3rd it be nice to see again digger47

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.