Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Wedding Ring - Right or Left?

Wedding Ring - Right or Left?

Old Feb 13th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wedding Ring - Right or Left?

I'm sure you have all noticed that Hungarians, those that do, wear wedding ring on their right hand and Brits on left hand. I sometimes wonder what happens when a Brit marries a Hungarian ..... what do they do? I suppose if living in UK it would be typical to wear on the left but if you marry and live in Hungary do you wear it on the right?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding Ring - Right or Left?

Hi! Mine is on the left and I married a Hungarian!

I've never even noticed this or had anyone mention it to me as a difference?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The Hungarian tradition is to wear the ring on the left hand upon engagement and it is then swapped to the right hand at the wedding. This way the wedding ring doubles as an engagement ring.....how economical!!!

I have a Hungarian wife who I met and married in England and she wears her ring on her left hand. I don't wear mine very often because I am always using machines but otherwise it's English fashion.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

It would be so obvious someone isn't Hungarian if they wear it on the left ..... might stick out like a sore thumb if trying to blend in with the natives.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

TerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the rough

I am marrying my Hungarian beauty this year. I have to say, i could not fathom the ring thing either.
She has decided that she is going to wear her engagement ring, middle finger left hand ( only finger it fits since latest diet ! ) The wedding ring she intends to wear traditional UK, left hand.

When I asked for meanings, reasons or traditions, she replied " Looks better there"

Go figure...........
Old Feb 14th 2015, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Wedding Ring - Right or Left?

Originally Posted by TerryandBrigi
I am marrying my Hungarian beauty this year. I have to say, i could not fathom the ring thing either.
She has decided that she is going to wear her engagement ring, middle finger left hand ( only finger it fits since latest diet ! ) The wedding ring she intends to wear traditional UK, left hand.

When I asked for meanings, reasons or traditions, she replied " Looks better there"

Go figure...........
My Hungarian wife wears her wedding ring on left hand. I suppose it's a show of faith or love
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=TerryandBrigi;11564873]I am marrying my Hungarian beauty this year. I have to say, i could not fathom the ring thing either.

Go figure...........[/QUO
Good luck and happiness for the future, my fie is all so Hungarian we first meeting in Budapest so years ago married in Sep 09 still going she wears hear wedding ring left hand mien around my neck I do not like things on fingers to past accident, we have a mutual relationship and some funny times, on day we was at hear family grave plot witch has 4 generation their so she sited "one day you will be hear" my replay was "no" wye not " I can not speak Hungarian" digger47
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

TerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the rough

HAHA,
Good old fashioned British humour Digger.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:33 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The Hungarian tradition is to wear the ring on the left hand upon engagement and it is then swapped to the right hand at the wedding. This way the wedding ring doubles as an engagement ring.....how economical!!!

I have a Hungarian wife who I met and married in England and she wears her ring on her left hand. I don't wear mine very often because I am always using machines but otherwise it's English fashion.
Interesting Peter, I didn't know that but it makes complete sense!