Ebola

Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:43 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ebola

By now, I'm guessing everyone has considered the possibility that there might be outbreaks in Europe, though hopefully small and contained.
What is the coverage of it like on Hungarian news?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ebola

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
By now, I'm guessing everyone has considered the possibility that there might be outbreaks in Europe, though hopefully small and contained.
What is the coverage of it like on Hungarian news?
Its a news item but does not have as high a profile as say on Sky News.....Yet.

I am surprised that no one is openly talking about quarantining Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea as a control method. IMO screening at destination airports after infected passengers have spent hours in an aluminum tube passing what ever they have to the other 100s of passengers is a nonsense. Surely the only way to keep this particular Genni in his bottle is not to take the cork out!! or at least put the cork back in before its too late
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Its a news item but does not have as high a profile as say on Sky News.....Yet.

I am surprised that no one is openly talking about quarantining Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea as a control method. IMO screening at destination airports after infected passengers have spent hours in an aluminum tube passing what ever they have to the other 100s of passengers is a nonsense. Surely the only way to keep this particular Genni in his bottle is not to take the cork out!! or at least put the cork back in before its too late
Everybody is talking about it here and some are extremely worried as they say it's only a matter of months before it reaches the UK.

Full quarantine was mentioned weeks ago and quickly disregarded being deemed ineffective as people could still arrive via an un-quarantined country. Closing the borders completely would, it was claimed, cause economical problems for the countries and could worsen the outbreak in Africa, Despite this, several neighbouring countries and Saudi Arabia have either closed borders or stopped issuing visa's.

Totally agree that the screening is a waste of time as with an incubation period of up to 21 days, an infected person could be in the country for weeks before showing symptoms and you make a very good point about the risk to fellow passengers - if screening is to be at all useful, it should be done before boarding the flight.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are right to be worried. I think it is amazing that the US couldnt contain it properly within their medical system with all their supposed wealth. Personally I feel safer here than I would in the UK. Having said that I am going back to good old england for a trip next week. My OH says I have got to go into quarantine for 3 weeks when I come back
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathyg
I think people are right to be worried. I think it is amazing that the US couldnt contain it properly within their medical system with all their supposed wealth. Personally I feel safer here than I would in the UK. Having said that I am going back to good old england for a trip next week. My OH says I have got to go into quarantine for 3 weeks when I come back
The U.S. medical system doesn't surprise me at all. My guess is when he first went to the hospital he had no money and no health insurance to pay for treatment. When you arrive at the ER the first thing they ask for is a run of your credit card and insurance details. Although US hospitals are obliged to treat all in the case of an emergency...for those who can't pay they are usually treated/patched up and sent on their way.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The U.S. medical system doesn't surprise me at all. My guess is when he first went to the hospital he had no money and no health insurance to pay for treatment. When you arrive at the ER the first thing they ask for is a run of your credit card and insurance details. Although US hospitals are obliged to treat all in the case of an emergency...for those who can't pay they are usually treated/patched up and sent on their way.
I don't think anyone is surprised this happened in USA. They want your money before you go through the doors!